My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living here in Louisiana, I have a generator and need a generator thanks to all of the hurricanes that like to visit us. I have a generator and it serves its purpose - running the camper that we travel with and stay in after the hurricane is over. I want to get a bigger generator and a co-worker suggested, again, that I find one that is driven off of the pto on my tractor. Any suggestion? I would like one big enough to run the entire house. Anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not sure I would want to have to use my tractor to run a generator for my house. Imagine needing to power the house as well as use the tractor to clean up debri. Not going to work.

If you really want something to power the whole house, I would look into a permanent diesel generator. There are also units that can be piped into your gas line to run off of natural gas.

Keep your other generator for the camper and anything else where portable power is required.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My searches for generators indicates that a stand alone gas, diesel or propane generator, for equal output, is a lot cheaper than a PTO generator. I have a 5000 watt, electric start that I have "jury-rigged" to my main power so that I can disconect the power company and feed 240v into my breaker box to run vitals, (well pump, furnace blower, tv, computers, lights, etc.), during power outages. We regularly had a power outage at least once a month until I installed my generator. Only used it once in the past year or so.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
This discussion came up a couple of years ago... I don't remember if it was here, or at the house, but... someone brought up a REALLY good point (in my opinion).
In such an instance (right after a hurricane, for instance)... chances are you're going to need your tractor for 'other things' (i.e. cleaning up storm damage). Do you really want it 'tied down' to running your generator, then?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very good points, we usually stay in the camper when we have no power and use the generator on it. It works well, but I was thinking a little too hard I guess. I sure wouldn't want my tractor tied up when I have other stuff to do.......

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work 2nd shift and it only took one power outage in Aug with my wife being stuck at home with two little kids to call me at work and make it my problem/fault. I took the opportunity to purchase one. I bought a 13000 watt pto generator for $650. I've used it once in 3yrs. The only time I got to use it was in Dec. we got home to a dark house so I hooked it up. The family ran in the house and turned on everything as normal, wifey gave the kids a bath and I stood outside with a beer admiring the equipment (JD 2210). As far a storm clean up/snow removal goes, I've always viewed it as I can disconnect and clean up before the fridge defrosts or the house gets cold/warm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ dogmyskip31.....what kind of generator did you get? From where?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a Pincor. I bought it used from a local lawn mower repair shop. He said he got it in trade from a local farmer for parts and repair services. They were bought up in the mid to late 70's. I searched for a few months on line and at auctions. The price I got was pretty much in line with what I've seen around. $600-1000 on average for used equipment.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Living here in Louisiana, I have a generator and need a generator thanks to all of the hurricanes that like to visit us. I have a generator and it serves its purpose - running the camper that we travel with and stay in after the hurricane is over. I want to get a bigger generator and a co-worker suggested, again, that I find one that is driven off of the pto on my tractor. Any suggestion? I would like one big enough to run the entire house. Anyone?

Thanks
Before you get too far down this route...give this a read...;)
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/engineer/facts/00-059.htm

Personally, I'm not big on committing a tractor to provide electrical support...unless you can convince SWMBO that you need YET ANOTHER TRACTOR...:D

here is a quick way to calculate home load
http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/calculations.html

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good ideas about Generators but one thing not discussed.

Is the biggest issue with generators it they sit unused for LOOOOONG periods of time. Then it's time to use them, their engines are siezed, won't start, the batteries dead, or the fuel in them is so degenerated you can't light it with a match.

The BIGGEST benefit (in my most humble opinion) to using the tractor and a PTO generator is you normally USE the tractor regularly. You keep it maintained, you run the engine.. you KNOW it works, and will start and run when you need it for power.

Generators generally sit in a shed covered by crap until you need to use it. **** of a time to find out the oil in your generator turned into molasses in the three years since you started it last.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd rather not have to dedicate my tractor to generator duty, especially since they tractor may be needed for other things if the power is out. Besides, PTO-driven generators really don't seem any cheaper than self-contained units.

It's a good idea to get into the habit of starting up the generator every month or so. And a propane or dual-fueled unit is ideal, as propane will keep just about forever, unlike gas or diesel. And if you've ever had to deal with a prolonged regional power outage, you quickly learn that it can be hard to obtain gas or diesel fuel, when the pumps have no power. No such problem with propane.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Good ideas about Generators but one thing not discussed.

Is the biggest issue with generators it they sit unused for LOOOOONG periods of time. Then it's time to use them, their engines are siezed, won't start, the batteries dead, or the fuel in them is so degenerated you can't light it with a match.

The BIGGEST benefit (in my most humble opinion) to using the tractor and a PTO generator is you normally USE the tractor regularly. You keep it maintained, you run the engine.. you KNOW it works, and will start and run when you need it for power.

Generators generally sit in a shed covered by crap until you need to use it. **** of a time to find out the oil in your generator turned into molasses in the three years since you started it last.
GENERATOR READINESS

To be sure the generator is ready when you need it:

1. The generator should be started and loaded at least once a month.
  2. The fuel tank should be kept filled with fresh fuel. A fuel conditioner should be used to keep the fuel from breaking down.
  3. A trickle charger should charge the battery monthly. The brief time the generator is exercised may not be enough time to allow the generator’s charging system to adequately charge the battery.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
GENERATOR READINESS

2. The fuel tank should be kept filled with fresh fuel. A fuel conditioner should be used to keep the fuel from breaking down.
  3. A trickle charger should charge the battery monthly. The brief time the generator is exercised may not be enough time to allow the generator’s charging system to adequately charge the battery.
Paul , I agree , except for #3 (because , what I do) , is when I exercise my Generator , it's not briefly , I run it for a good 2-3 Hours once a Month , (Battery so far has held it's charge) ... :fing32:

Later,x595

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Paul , I agree , except for #3 (because , what I do) , is when I exercise my Generator , it's not briefly , I run it for a good 2-3 Hours once a Month , (Battery so far has held it's charge) ... :fing32:

Later,x595
Do you run the generator on the X595??

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Do you run the generator on the X595??
MTD snow plow , to answer your question , no , it is a Stand Alone Portable Generator (15,000 Watt , 25 HP Kohler) , as shown below ...

Later,x595

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
We have a Generac on the house. Never lived on a well and septic before and the town we used to live in had outages EVERY month. The Generac has a built in weekly exercise program, a trickle charger, and it runs on natural gas.

GENERATOR READINESS

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well I have been through storms that have knocked out the power for weeks and I'm sure there will be more in my future. Personally I would use a PTO generator to keep a battery bank charged and work at reducing my reliance on electricity in the first place. I have manual backups or work arounds for pretty much everything I actually need to survive in comfort after a big storm and having electricity is just a luxury.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts