My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While mowing yesterday, I sniffed that expensive smell... shut down the tractor and took a peak at the PTO/Deck drive belt. It was twisted going to both pulley's. And I might say....very "hot" ! Too hot to touch. This belt I replaced last week, when the older one went into several pieces. I don't see anything unusual here. Only, the belt has a angle...downward.. from the PTO pulley to the deck drive pulley.

Anyone have a idea or suggestion on what may be the cause for it being so hot?

·
Registered
310 Posts
You say it is twisted? So the outside of the belt was running on one of the pulleys? If so it could have been internal friction in the belt from twisting from one side to another at high speed. Possibly more friction at the drive pulley too from the extra drag.

·
Premium Member
8,312 Posts
What model tractor & which deck?

·
Premium Member
8,312 Posts
The angle will change as you raise and lower the deck, as the pto pulley doesn't move up and down with thee deck, but the pulley on the deck does.

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but the principal is the same on most. Does it have some sort of idler pulley that keeps the tension on the belt? If so, is the belt routed properly with the idler pulley? Is the idler spring old and weak, or not connected properly? You can go to John Deere's web site and look up a parts diagram for your tractor that would show you how it's supposed to go together.

I had the deck belt come off on my brand new X304 a few weeks ago because a small tree branch got caught up in between the belt and one of the pulleys. I put it back on quickly without thinking much about it and the belt was off again within the next 15 seconds of mowing. I thought that I must have stretched the belt when the branch had got caught in there the first time, so I parked the tractor and drove up to my local dealer and bought a new belt, and this time I pulled the deck out from under the tractor because I would have to loosen some nuts to get the old belt off and the new belt on, and that was when I noticed the little picture on a sticker on the deck that showed the proper routing of the belt, and I realized that I hadn't put it back on the correct way the first time, so I put the original belt back on the proper way, and it's been working fine ever since.

:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts