My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outer bearing on my clutch seized up, and I’m having a hard time finding a replacement bearing. The clutch is grasshopper # 388740. The bearing is stamped 6006-18. This number seems to cross reference to a 6006-2RS, but I ordered a Timken and the bore was about a mm too large.
Anyone have any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Measure the I.D., it might be SAE instead of MM. Standard roller bearings like these typically are in metric sizes, but some of them also come in an SAE version, where it has the metric O.D., but with a SAE I.D.

...googled 6006-18, and yeah, most likely the bearing is 1.125" i.d. vs 30mm for a standard 6006 bearing.

It still should be commonly available.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
What caught my eye on this is the way the bearing seems to be secured in place. It looks like a swaging process was used in such a way that the bearing could be significantly smaller than the hole it gets mounted in. It looks like the swaging takes up the slack. Is that just an illusion caused by a lack of detail in the photo? I have only seen these type bearings "staked" in place, but actually tightly fit the hole.

I looked at two replacements for the 388740 PTO on Walmart.com and one has a bearing that looks to be mounted like yours and another that appears to not even require staking.

Maybe the hole was originally sized for the larger Timkin?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Measure the I.D., it might be SAE instead of MM. Standard roller bearings like these typically are in metric sizes, but some of them also come in an SAE version, where it has the metric O.D., but with a SAE I.D.

...googled 6006-18, and yeah, most likely the bearing is 1.125" i.d. vs 30mm for a standard 6006 bearing.

It still should be commonly available.
Thanks, I’ll keep searching and see what I can find.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What caught my eye on this is the way the bearing seems to be secured in place. It looks like a swaging process was used in such a way that the bearing could be significantly smaller than the hole it gets mounted in. It looks like the swaging takes up the slack. Is that just an illusion caused by a lack of detail in the photo? I have only seen these type bearings "staked" in place, but actually tightly fit the hole.

I looked at two replacements for the 388740 PTO on Walmart.com and one has a bearing that looks to be mounted like yours and another that appears to not even require staking.

Maybe the hole was originally sized for the larger Timkin?

Ya I had to grind those tabs down before I could press the bearing out. It’s actually the diameter of the inside that’s the problem though. The end piece doesn’t fit tight into the new bearing. I think dave_r is correct that it’s SAE, I’m just not having much luck tracking one down.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
If you have a bearing supply place nearby knock it off of there and haul it in. Chances are high the guy behind the counter will know exactly what he's looking at, and probably have it in stock.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
Ya I had to grind those tabs down before I could press the bearing out. It’s actually the diameter of the inside that’s the problem though. The end piece doesn’t fit tight into the new bearing. I think dave_r is correct that it’s SAE, I’m just not having much luck tracking one down.

OK, my mistake. I thought the O.D. was the problem.
Looks like that 6006-18DDU8 bearing may be the one you want. It is 55 OD x 28.58 ID x 13 W.
Not many seem available and most that are are pricey. This one looked good, but ?
6006/18DDU8 NSK • SP
Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the correct bearing this morning and put it all back together. Within two minutes the pto clutch was so hot it was boiling the grease out of the new bearing. So I guess some other issue caused the bearing to fail in the first place. No idea what the problem is, ordered a new clutch and hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
The clutch might be slipping, and some of them are easily adjustable. Can you post a pic of the whole clutch?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,475 Posts
That is the non-adjustable clutch J.D uses on their vertical engine L&G tractors

·
Certified Technician
8,509 Posts
With how cheap these Extreme ope clutches are, its not worth the time to even screw with these things anymore, X0104 looks like the cross-reference, run about 185, which is what they cost with shipping at dealer price thru stens..

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Looks as if you are down to the rivets on the driven side. Also looks as if it has been slipping. Did you clean it up at all before attempting to use it? Any and all lubricant should be cleaned from the clutch surfaces. They would just slide against each other with lube on their surfaces. I think they are supposed to be clean and dry, though they cannot be perfectly so.
Does it seem the electromagnet seems to get hot if power is applied while the engine is off? If not the only two other causes are slippage and friction of the moving parts The bearings allow the magnet to stay still while the clutch bits rotate, so are not heavily loaded and should not be getting overly heated. I think.
tom

·
10K and Climbin!
12,446 Posts
I agree with Red & Tom.. The heat is from the worn down clutch surfaces slipping thus creating a lot of heat.. Replace it.. You did learn a bit about bearings though!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should have a new one Friday. Only cost me $8 to try a fix and I did learn something. No complaints about the old grasshopper, bought it 18 years ago and this is my first real problem.
Thanks for all good advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts