My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time reader, but I'm a first time poster! Here's the story...

Recently replaced the drive belt on my JD 160. Smooth, no problems. Day later, hear an awful sound coming from underneath. The idler pulley seized up. Replaced that. Next day, starts smoking horribly from underneath. Turned the tractor off. Re-started it and the PTO won't engage. Still smoking... Got neighbor to look underneath, says sparks are flying from inside and around the PTO Clutch. Says I prolly need a new one. Take the old one off, put a new one on, but before re-attaching the deck, I flip the switch, fire and sparks again. I have never seen this before and hope to never see it again. Can anyone help please!!!????

I bought the thing for $100, now I have almost $400 tied up in it. I really wasn't expecting that. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any suggestions? I'm all out of ideas. Anything will be helpfull. Thanks.

BTW, I've also got an old JD 160 tractor I'm reworking. Pics of both machines coming soon!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make that a full size farm tractor. Model 60, not 160.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right. The old one did it with and without the deck on and the brand new one does it without the deck on. I haven't tried it with the deck back on yet... Figure it would do the same.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Are they electical looking sparks, or are they metal scraping against metal (friction) type of sparks?

If they're electrical sparks, then check the wiring, maybe some insulation is missing or melted from whatever was causing the smoke.

If they're friction sparks then you'll probably need to pull the pto clutch back out and look for the worn spot where it is rubbing. Once you find the worn spot you should be able to figure out what's causing the rub.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sparks have to be electrical. The Pulley assembly/pto clutch does not rotate when the switch is engaged. I am thinking perhaps it is a bad switch?! Probably shoulda checked that first instead of buying the brand new pto clutch assembly. Any way to test it to make sure it is the switch? Thanks

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
If the switch is bad, then the sparks would be up by the switch, not down by the pto. I'm thinking something in the wiring harness near the pto if that's where you're seeing the sparks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. After coming back to the tractor after a few days off, there seems to be a new problem. Now when the tractor is cranked, there is smoke coming from the pto assembly, I didn't even flip the switch! This makes me wonder if somehow I didn't route the drive belt properly... The tractor drives great though, pulls through all the gears, even on hills, so I don't think that is the problem. I'm really at a loss here. I just may have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop. YIKES!

Any other thoughts would be great.

Jonathan

·
deere160
27 Posts
I'd say it has to be something you did or didn't do when changing the drive belt. Alot of repairs in small engine shops are repairing things that other people tried to fix themselves, no offence. I'd take it to a shop and get them to look at, it could be something very simple.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. A certified mechanic lives next door. I got him to look at it (shoulda done that to begin with). He says the pulley above the PTO is what is gone bad causing the overheating, with ruined the first clutch thereby ruining the switch as well. Today I get to replace the pulley, and the switch and hope that takes care of it! Thanks for all your help!

Jonathan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O.K. guys. Update.

New clutch, new pulley, new switch. Installed them all. Motor cranks (as always) drive on and flip the PTO switch! NOTHING! This makes me believe there is something wrong with the safety switch. So to check that, I cranked it back up, lowered the deck and flipped the PTO switch. The engine cut off, just like it's supposed to do! I really don't know what else to try...

Well, unless I can get some great/fantastic/magical insight into what the problem is, I am just going to have to take it to the shop and break out the ol' push mower. Any suggestions would be great!

Jonathan

·
Registered
30 Posts
O.K. guys. Update.

New clutch, new pulley, new switch. Installed them all. Motor cranks (as always) drive on and flip the PTO switch! NOTHING! This makes me believe there is something wrong with the safety switch. So to check that, I cranked it back up, lowered the deck and flipped the PTO switch. The engine cut off, just like it's supposed to do! I really don't know what else to try...

Well, unless I can get some great/fantastic/magical insight into what the problem is, I am just going to have to take it to the shop and break out the ol' push mower. Any suggestions would be great!

Jonathan
The best I can do for you is suggest that you do a google search like (PTO not coming on) you may find some more ideas. Hope you post what the problem is when you figure it out.

Overmyhead

1 - 14 of 14 Posts