Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
I made it a sicky again ;)

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,403 Posts
jodyand said:
I made it a sicky again ;)
We' all know Wingnut is a sicky, but you don't have to announce it!!:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lt230s said:
We' all know Wingnut is a sicky, but you don't have to announce it!!:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

Its one of the nicer things said about me :fing20: :biglaugh:

·
Member #20,000
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been shopping for a pto chipper for our 2305 after the worst ice storm in over 35 years and have it down to two manufacturers, 3 models, but still don't know whether to get one with a shredder (it's a bit more, but more pieces means more potential for broken pieces as well as extra weight). $2500 is the ballpark (already Canadian dollars, so hopefully that's taxes in).
Our dealer carries Wallenstein (BXm32 shredder/chipper or the BX32s manual chipper) but is always way high on pricing. The factory is within a few hours but we don't have a pickup anymore, although i guess we could rent a truck.
The other choice is the WoodMaxx WM-8M, which sounds bulletproof on their website. The thing weighs 950lbs, is manual (so no hoses or fluid). It has a 200lb flywheel, adjustable gap for the knives, a 2" shaft with the flywheel fully supported in between 2 of the 3 bearings instead of cantilevered off the end. The safetly features are nice. It runs a main gearbox witch runs belts to run the flywheel beyond the 540RPM, which i'm not convinced is better or worse than a direct connection with shear pin.
They both seem to pull the wood in after watching their videos. We have plenty of wood; mostly maples, ashes and some black cherry and red oak mixed in. A few birch and hemlock is all we have in softer woods, but we just got a splitter and can easily burn anything larger than 3". We have about 12 acres of woodlot with a bit of steep elevation in parts. Existing trails would allow me to park anywhere on property and never have to go 40-50' from the chipper.
We have the FEL, but for this (and after spending 6 hours on the driveway today with a plow mounted to FEL forks and having to push the snowbanks back because of poor front end grip to "steer into" the ever-growing bank) we will need front suitcase weights. I'm afraid to ask JD how much they want, any suggestions? Thoughts of bags of sand in the loader crossed my mind, but I'd rather something that couldn't shift.
Any assistance or advice on the heavy/light debate, as well as belt vs. direct would be appreciated. Feel free to point out anything I should be thinking of, or if I'm thinking about for no good reason. Enjoy your tractor!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
I thought I'd add my experience with a DR chipper to the thread. I have the 3-point hitch model, has a 50 pound flywheel which has a single cutter blade; it takes limbs as large as 5 inches diameter. Literature says minimum of 18-20 PTO horsepower. I'm using it right now with a X748 (18 PTO hp.) and can easily feed pieces 4 inches as long as they're 3-4 feet long max. Beyond that, they pull the engine speed down some. Anything 3 inches or smaller, you can stuff in as fast as you want, it will keep up. It's very well made, uses a double belt from the input sheave to the flywheel sheave, which also allows for increasing the flywheel speed and as a driveline shock absorber. I purchased the optional adjustable discharge chute. I also purchased an extra blade, but have used the original for over three years now and it's still very sharp, so good quality steel being used. I'm careful to feed only clean wood, no chunks of dirt, so the blade stays sharp, I've chipped piles of hickory limbs, too, and not just soft stuff like pine or poplar. This is the only video I've made, but you get the idea how fast it chips.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts