My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the drive and PTO belts simple rubber v-belts, or are they fabric covered? Would the newer Kevlar belts work better or give better service?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are the drive and PTO belts simple rubber v-belts, or are they fabric covered? Would the newer Kevlar belts work better or give better service?
I had lousy luck with the black belts from the NAPA store. I started using the blue belts from Tractor Supply and have them on 3 different Bolens tractors. They work great. While they are not Kevlar that are heavier duty then the black rubber ones. I work the crap out of my 1256 in the winter with the snow blower and a flail mower in the summer. The belts have been on for 2 years and have never seemed to slip nor broken.

my 2 cents.
Stuart

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I am lucky enough to get the original bolens belts for a good price. The store near me used to be a bolens dealer and they still have alot of good parts.They were great for the restoration parts I needed. I bought the pto belts for $20 each. I have used the tractor supply belts for one of my bolens and so far they still are working.
-Brian

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info about the blue belts, I'll try to get those:thanku:

NAPA belting, do you mean the standard auto vbelts with rubber on the sides?

The TSC near me does not carry belt pairs but they certainly carry the lengths I need. Practically speaking, it really that important to get a matched set when you replace a pair on the PTO or drive? Are the modern belts consistent enough for our purposes?

Now I know sort of what to ask for. If TSC does not have it, there are no ex-Bolens dealers near here, but fortunately there are several good power equipment places around.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1716-570 PTO belts 42 1/2 long (pair)
1720-573 drive belts 34 long (pair) BUT 34 is way too long - I tried it.

1720-365 driven pulley -I think this was replaced with a smaller diameter, and that's why the drive belt now is too long.

I have read several people use 42 inch very well instead of the unusual 42 1/2 inch long belts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've used the belts from TSC and not paid any attention to see if they are paired. I haven't had any problems yet so I don't think it makes that much of a difference. If there is a difference my tractors haven't showed it yet.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used the belts from TSC and not paid any attention to see if they are paired. I haven't had any problems yet so I don't think it makes that much of a difference. If there is a difference my tractors haven't showed it yet.
:thanku: That makes things much simpler.

Geeze, I feel like such a noob with all these questions.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
1716-570 PTO belts 42 1/2 long (pair)
1720-573 drive belts 34 long (pair) BUT 34 is way too long - I tried it.

1720-365 driven pulley -I think this was replaced with a smaller diameter, and that's why the drive belt now is too long.

I have read several people use 42 inch very well instead of the unusual 42 1/2 inch long belts.
I checked my stock of new old stock bolens belts .. and could not find what you need :sorry1:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ken, I really appreciate it.

This forum is awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts