My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden the pto belt inadvertantly drops off the pto clutch when I engage pto. It doesn't happen every time, but enough times to be an annoyance. Anyone else experience this phenonema? Could it be not enough idler tension on the deck? I'm at a loss here. Sometimes it seems to help if I take throttle to approximately half, normally I would engage pto at just above idle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All of a sudden the pto belt inadvertantly drops off the pto clutch when I engage pto. It doesn't happen every time, but enough times to be an annoyance. Anyone else experience this phenonema? Could it be not enough idler tension on the deck? I'm at a loss here. Sometimes it seems to help if I take throttle to approximately half, normally I would engage pto at just above idle.
I have noted that when I use the deck wash and lower the deck to settings 1 or 2, the PTO belt slips off a few seconds after the PTO is engaged. Not sure if the angle of the belt at the lower settings contribute to that. I keep my deck settings to 5 or 6 now, and the belt doesn't slip off anymore. I have not adjusted the tension yet. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Should not happen at any engine RPM engagement.Suggest get it back to your dealer under warranty and have him to fix it

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All of a sudden the pto belt inadvertantly drops off the pto clutch when I engage pto.
Mark well then all things being equal I'd say the belt has stretched out a little and has to be tightened. Truthfully I don't know how to do that with our 2550 because with only 80hrs...the problem hasn't come up yet.

I'm guessing that if you equally tighten the 2 nuts viewed from the front of the tractor on the quick disconnect bracket that should help.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
...Not sure if the angle of the belt at the lower settings contribute to that. I keep my deck settings to 5 or 6 now, and the belt doesn't slip off anymore. I have not adjusted the tension yet. Cheers.

That's exactly the theory many board members have discussed over the years. Keeping the deck up when engaging the PTO seems to reduce the belt jumpage. I know it's a different setup on my 2544, but the belt did jump off once or twice on mine before I started to practice this.

Joel

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be looking into the thing when time permits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts