My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellows,I read that some elect.pto are adjustable,it's on a model 180,if that is true--how do you adjust it,till it's just tight while not running??Reason is I was just thinking I need another one, cause it kinda makes the ole squealing thing when engaged.When removed from shaft of eng.you can spin it very easy by hand.thax:trink40:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Dude11,
You need to know what the gap should be for the armature and rotor. If your PTO is like mine (JD 316),and many others,there are spring loaded bolts that need to be adjusted in three places to get the proper clearance. The 316 PTO is .018. There is a chance they are all about the same. Someone might know what the gap should be for yours,if not a JD dealer might be able to tell you.
Hope this helps a little.

Greg

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,263 Posts
Doubt that adjustment is causing squealing. Don't know about JD but most adjust around .012", measured with feeler gage in slot at each of the three springs.

Squealing when engaging usually is the belt, perhaps needs more tension on it. Squealing when running is probably a bearing.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thax Greg,your right,some are adjustable,and of those most are around .013-.018;.I have been busy and really hadn't ck'ed for the air gap that Walt refers to.It does have the three adj.nuts----maybe?The thing is Walt,Right now I have the deck belt and deck off,while I was working on it and it was fine---till I let out the clutch--then she squeals.I had the battery out on charge while I was painting.I'll get back on it tomorrow and let you know what I find.Thax again fellows.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you know if it needs adjustment?
Book says about every 500hrs.ck adjustment.(Some are not adjustable) This is one I'm re-doing,for sale.I try to check everything and if it needs fixing or replacing nows the time.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the elect.clutch isn't in need of anything now--I installed the deck and belt,and it quit making all that noise.Still had just a teet with blades not engaged.Hey,I can live with that.thax:trink40:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts