My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 3 Echo CS-280E top handle chainsaws come through in the last 3 weeks.

2 of them had broken pulleys for the pull starter rope.

Turns out, the original pulley for the early version of these saws is NLA available. Here's what that pulley looks like:

It appears the rope gets old and stiff, and then splits the pulley in half, breaking off the entire bottom of the pulley. I tried both JB Weld, and Devcon Plastic Epoxy, and neither worked on the type of hardened plastic of these pulleys.

Was able to score the one in the photos above via ebay, and was getting ready to have it replicated, but did more digging through parts diagrams. Turns out the later version of these saws used a different pulley, part number:
177215-19730, which is still readily available. It is a white nylon type material. I ordered and installed one yesterday, and it works perfect.

IMO, these are nice little arborist saws, and well worth saving. The 3 that I've had recently have all been out of service for years. All 3 fired and ran immediately with a little hit of Triflow down the carb, and other than carb adjustment, only one needed an actual carb tear down and clean.

So, if you have an Echo Kioriztz CS-280E that needs a new starter drum (recoil drum), part number 177215-19730 is your new best friend, along with 3' of new starter rope in about 4mm diameter.:fing32:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very good to know sounds like something I would do find a part that works to get a great machine up and running again

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm all about not sending this stuff to a landfill. I draw the line at the cheap junk, for all this great old school stuff, I'll go the extra mile.

I picked up a Shindaiwa HT20 40" commercial hedge trimmer at the swap meet for $5 recently. It was missing the one part that is no longer available....the counter-clockwise rotating pull start assembly. Took a while, and a lot of parts diagrams, but I finally found one with a different part number, but the same configuration. Ebay to the rescue once a gain. It arrived yesterday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi guys.
i have a problem, i have a echo srm-250 weed trimmer that just wont start now.first i replaced the spark plug and prime bulb, the engine was running but not to good.i then bought a new fuel filter and air filter which seemed to do the trick as the trimmer was now working great and would start up in one pull.but now when i went to go start the trimmer it wouldnt even start slightly,i would just be pulling and pulling with no results.the fuel is fresh and still no results.im out of options on what to do, i thought i repaired the machine. please help if anyone can.
thanks.

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you please delete your post and create a separate new post, in the appropriate area, like the small engine forum, or the forum for trimmers and other equipment.

I've created this thread to provide information about a chainsaw part that is no longer available, and would like to keep the thread focused.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The recoil drum on my CS280E chain saw just broke and I have not been able to find a replacement, but I have found your thread. However the part you used, 177215-19730, is now not available. Any suggestions?.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,742 Posts
The OP hasn't been on here in almost five years. Hopefully, someone else may be able to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts