My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large, roughly 25 year old, Concord grape vine that has been unruly for a number of years now. Last spring, I added onto the the supports and made a real arbor for this monster. It has produced some really nice fruit, but harvesting was always a challenge due to everything being a tangled mess.

Well, today was the day. The sap hadn't started coming up in it yet, so the wife and I figured, why not? She checked a few sites for some instruction and we set off cutting this thing back and removing old, dead wood.

A couple of hours and two trailer loads of trimmings later, we ended up with a good looking grape vine that will hopefully prosper now. Time will tell. I just hope that we didn't screw everything up and/or kill our vine.

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It is difficult to see in the pictures but it looks like you cut most of the fruit wood off. The fruit wood is all of the shoots that were green last year and will produce fruit this year. Count how many buds you have on all of the small shoots that you left. Write it down. Depending on how much growth you have this year will tell how many to leave next year. I have a feeling you will have a lot of new, wild growth.

If a lot of the small shoots(canes) that you cut off were dead on the end, the vine might be lacking potash. They also could be lacking sunlight with the mess they were growing in. You did straighten out the mess. Now try to learn from it.

To cover the arbor you built I would add 1 more vine on the side of the old vine and 2 more on the other side. I would add a Worden for an earlier very sweet blue grape. I miss Niagara and Catawba. I can't grow any of the Northern varieties down here. I've tried, just doesn't work.

·
Administrator
12,571 Posts
I know nothing about growing grapes but I'm liking that old Ford, vintage slotted mags, awesome!! You'll be needing to start a thread in the truck forum and explain why that rig is not sitting in a building out of the elements Mr.!! Lol

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think grape vines are pretty tough, so it should be fine. My aunt had a grape vine and one time my uncle decided he would "trim" it for her. He ended up butchering it pretty bad, but it grew back and still produced lots of grapes with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
Just for DJ's defense that is his Grape carrying truck, it is parked close to the harvest location just waiting for something to do!

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. There, most likely, won't be any grapes at all this year. My wife said, according to what she read, that everything needed cut back to the "main" stalks. Well, that's what happened. There are no small stalks left on this beast. I'm going to be doing a lot of studying the growth patterns of grapes and get this thing trained properly.

On the truck, well, you guys busted me. It is a 1978 Ford F-150 4x4 with a 400 under the hood and a four speed in the floor. It was my dad's truck that he bought in 1980. Dad has been gone for 15 years now and I just haven't had time nor the money to bring it back to where it should be. I will get some better pics of it and start a thread on it.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,886 Posts
Don't know a darn thing about grapes other I love eating them.

Nice truck, very nice, indeed. Yet, here is the man that has been busting my shoes about not finishing the Custom? Perhaps, ye hath been casting stones from ye's glass abode, hmmmm?

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice truck, very nice, indeed. Yet, here is the man that has been busting my shoes about not finishing the Custom? Perhaps, ye hath been casting stones from ye's glass abode, hmmmm?
Yep, busted again. :hide:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Our himrod vine (green seedless child of interlaken and thompson I think) had a couple of vines hanging over a bed I was setting up for onions. Trimmed them off and the sap is dripping enough to irrigate with.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
heh, the first thing I noticed was the pickup... I have a thing for the late 60's and then the 70's fords and green would just have to be my favorite color too. my wife has been hounding on me to get my '69 4x4 knocked out and parade-pretty since they day I drug it home a few years ago. she's jut not sure wich she wants done up first: the 57 farmall 400 tractor, or the 69 ford.

oh... grapes..... reminds me that I need to get the pruning clippers and go hack away at my trellis this year too

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. There, most likely, won't be any grapes at all this year. My wife said, according to what she read, that everything needed cut back to the "main" stalks. Well, that's what happened. There are no small stalks left on this beast. I'm going to be doing a lot of studying the growth patterns of grapes and get this thing trained properly.

That might be the way to trim vines for an arbor, but not to have fruit. You will have a lot of new growth that will be bigger around than your thumb. We call it "bull" wood. It will sometimes grow laterals. (smaller shoots) These will produce fruit next year.

If you want to keep having fruit, as I said before you need at least 3 more vines. I would plant 5 more. If you go with 3 more, keep each vine in it's own 1/2 of it's side and top of the arbor. With 5 more split them to each 1/3. The more old wood like you have now, the more it drains from the vine.

Also check to see what grape diseases you might have in your area. Here we can have "Pierce" disease. There is no cure for it. I only plant varieties that are resistant to it. Having the grapes crowded on the arbor can also make them more susceptable to bunch rot. Niagara is one of my favorites to eat, but bunch rot when others don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts