My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
...When I got her, I immediately changed the transmission fluid. It was BLACK (mine has a drain plug!) I've changed it again twice. The last time I changed it because the rubber hose to the plastic oil level viewer had worked loose and that transmission was down 2 1/2 quarts before it quit! I drained out the rest, filled her up, and today she's perfect!!!
Mine has the drain plug too, and well as the overflow tank to add fluid. I could be wrong (I often am) but my thinking is if I changed the fluid without changing the filter...would it help or not. The only way to change the filter on mine is to crack the case.

·
Make Better Mowers
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mine has the drain plug too, and well as the overflow tank to add fluid. I could be wrong (I often am) but my thinking is if I changed the fluid without changing the filter...would it help or not. The only way to change the filter on mine is to crack the case.
If it's never been changed, at this point it's probably lost a lot of it's ability to lubricate. Perhaps anything caught on the internal filter will be flushed out at draining. The fluid I use is Valvoline 10-30 full synthetic oil. Capacity is about 3.5 Quarts. Change it like you would engine oil.....after a good workout!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,624 Posts
I have no lawn tractors, only GT's or equivalent. I routinely use my '86 212 to pull my tandem lawn trailer around, and I mow weekly with my '84 318. Both are dead-nuts reliable, all I do is pour in gas and change the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
1980 JD 111, 38" mower deck. Used 2-3 hrs. each week during the mowing season. Does OK.
Naturally, things have been replaced over the yrs. as parts wear out but it's still on the job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using a 2003 GX-85 rear engine riding mower. Not as old as some of the others here but they don't make the rear engine riders anymore. Works nice in the tight areas and doesn't take up much room in the garage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1982 JD111, purchased 4 years ago -- mow about 1 acre twice a week. Just replaced drive belt, rebuilt a spindle on mower deck, but that's to be expected from a 37 year old machine. Starts immediately every time (even after sitting for the winter).

·
Make Better Mowers
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
How many of you own a John Deere riding mower (Not a garden tractor) that is 25 years or older AND you still use regularly? My 1994 LX178 is due for a birthday party![/QUOTE

Says a lot for a K61 transmission.
Especially after losing WELL over 1/2 of the fluid!

·
Make Better Mowers
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
34 Posts
My LX188 looks like it just rode out of north ****, hood is a puzzle with several pieces missing, don't even bother with it any more. '92 model and Mowergene just helped me with a belt issue last week that helped me finish mowing my 2.5 acres of paradise (not a flat spot nor a straight line over 30 feet on the property). It's been beat but keeps coming back. no snow duty but hauls firewood in the winter up hill both ways. Still makes the lawn look like a golf course

·
Make Better Mowers
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My LX188 looks like it just rode out of north ****, hood is a puzzle with several pieces missing, don't even bother with it any more. '92 model and Mowergene just helped me with a belt issue last week that helped me finish mowing my 2.5 acres of paradise (not a flat spot nor a straight line over 30 feet on the property). It's been beat but keeps coming back. no snow duty but hauls firewood in the winter up hill both ways. Still makes the lawn look like a golf course
That LX deserves a steel hood! The first picture is my feeble attempt with a rebar frame with sheetmetal wrapped over it. The second picture is a Craftsman hood made to fit. Now when I'm mowing the frontage, I'm no longer embarrassed by it's condition!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an old 111 roller ( future project) with some kind of composite hood that would do at least as a minimal amount of respect to an otherwise stalwart machine IMHO

·
Registered
197 Posts
JD 317 54" blade was my Dad's (D-Day vet)
JD 318 buford loader
JD 214 rotary broom
JD 111H fresh engine
JD L110 fresh engine
JD SX95 neat little mower
JD RX 75 ditch mower
JD model 66 (Grandkids love it)
JD 165 hydro
JD X310 the only thing i EVER bought new
They all do what they were made to do, my wife thinks i'm crazy but go green or go home!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
That LX deserves a steel hood! The first picture is my feeble attempt with a rebar frame with sheetmetal wrapped over it. The second picture is a Craftsman hood made to fit. Now when I'm mowing the frontage, I'm no longer embarrassed by it's condition!
That's amazing how you made that Craftsman hood fit and work so well and look so good. Great job!!

·
Make Better Mowers
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's amazing how you made that Craftsman hood fit and work so well and look so good. Great job!!
Thank you. It took so time (and some thinkin') but it did turn out. You could say it's a labor of love. This mower's been good to me!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a 1980 jd 111 that was given to me and it needed some basic stuff like brakes, a kill switch, throttle lever, rebuild the deck, hookup the alternator, minor things that the previous owners neglected. everything is fixed now except the front tire keeps going flat and the seat looks like crap. and i put a shutoff valve in the gas line and a filter and i bought a spare 11 from a guy down the street that had a blown motor so plenty of spare parts which is good because some of those parts are getting expensive

21 - 40 of 42 Posts