My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im new to the forum and excited to gather up as much information about my first tractor. 89 Wheel Horse 252-H.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
252-H and 257-H made in 88 and 89 both with Kawasaki single cylinder engines. A very good medium duty lawn tractor. Made much better than the box store riders sold now. Engines are indestructible will outlast the transaxle. 37" 2 blade or 3 blade 42" side discharge mower decks. I put nearly 3000 hours on 2 252-H tractors and know them very well. Once engine is warmed up you can engage the electric clutch at about 1/4 throttle and clutch will probably never have to be replaced. The carburators do not like ethanol that is in the gas (like many other mowers) and if you have to use ethanol gas eventually the needle/seat will stick. My 2nd one started to use a lot of gas, would pop when shut down and blow flames out the muffler when its really bad. Rebuild the carb and you can get many good years out of it. I believe the hydro pump uses straight 10 weight engine oil. The transaxle uses a heavier lube probably 70-90w. If you have a 37" mower deck the spindles probably have a slight wobble in them that is factory. When you install the blades you can turn them to a spot where they are half way between the up and down of the wobble and it will mow fine. The blades are I think 19" long. If you want mulch blades Snapper sells a Ninja blade for their 19" walk behind mowers. The center hole will have to be drilled out with a special bit. A normal bit will start to boil. You might have to go to a machine shop to drill them out but they will clear the bottom of the mower deck. The tensioner pulley on the back of the deck likes to loosen and lean over to the point it can eat a new belt in a few hours. I had a piece of metal machined in the shape like the state of Oklahoma. The thick part was drilled in 2 places and the thin part drilled through in one place. It was mounted behind the tensioner pulley which I had drilled through and installed a bolt to keep it upright. Look through my photos I think I have a picture of it in there. If not I can email you pictures of it. I sold that part a few years ago. There is a special cable to hold the 37" mower deck up. It stretches over time and costs about $40 if you can still find one. I ended up making my own adjustable cable with parts from the hardware store.
There aren't any 2 box store riders that would have taken the 3000 or so hours I put on the two 252-H tractors I had.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Mine is a 42" side discharge. the kawi engine seems to be running great, just need to figure out how to get the deck higher. Its at the highest mower setting now and the blades are only 2" high. The deck is level and everything too.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy your new WheelHorse. slkpk

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Thanks! Mine is a 42" side discharge. the kawi engine seems to be running great, just need to figure out how to get the deck higher. Its at the highest mower setting now and the blades are only 2" high. The deck is level and everything too.
On my 37" decks I ended up cutting out one of the cross bars in the decks nose bracket and then was able to raise deck higher. I'm not sure if the 42" deck had that same feature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Im going to look at it closer this week sometime and see if there is any way to raise it. Id like to get it to 3" minimum preferably atleast 3.5" for summer. I cut 2" at the very start and end of season.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I havent I took the deck off and put it back on. Everything seems to be right. I dont have the tach a matic setup if that matters and I think I have that cable run right. Its my first mower so who knows.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
I can get a 6" height too if I raise the deck to the "travel" position.
Wheel horse just does not give you a alot of height even on the last
knotch of the height adjustment. And if you raise the deck to the "travel"
position (full up) your deck is floating and unstable for an even cut.
Some of the larger 60" decks had bigger wheels which gave a bit higher
cut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts