My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have noticed slower cranking for my tractor the last few times i have used it. Battery is newer and in good condition terminals are tight and corrosion free. Checked at the battery running 3600rpm and i have 12.25v (low). Checked power wire from regulator to batt and i have nothing ign off and batt voltage ign on. Checked with meter in ac volts and running 3600 rpm i had 20v ac. At the stator connector. Form what i read i thought that was good. So with good power from stator and good connection from regulator to batt and batt being ok i thought i needed a regulator. replaced it with an new oem briggs one still 12.40 at the batt running. These test were done with no elect loads on. How do i know how many amp the stator is ? How many vac should i have out of it? Is it true if i test light from the stator pins to ground when running and ghe test light lights that the stator is shorted to ground and needs replaced? Sorry for all the questions i am an auto mechanic by trade but still learning small engines and having trouble finding the info i need. Also note my machine has briggs vanguard 23hp model #386447 type #0048-g. Thanks for any info mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well decided to dig into it and see if there wrre any visable problems chaffed wires ect... and found this (see pic) stator is fried going to try and find one local (no luvk so far) if not hopefully can find one online with quick shipping. Lawn is long and i have another 20tons of rock to move with it next sat .

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Ouch :mad:

·
Money Pit
453 Posts
Wow! Almost a fire. There was one heck of a load on it. They made a few different stators varying in amps. You can use one out of almost any engine, Intek single cylinder, v-twin or a Vanguard v-twin, single cylinder with a voltage regulator. Pretty much anything with a voltage regulator.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Almost a fire. There was one heck of a load on it. They made a few different stators varying in amps. You can use one out of almost any engine, Intek single cylinder, v-twin or a Vanguard v-twin, single cylinder with a voltage regulator. Pretty much anything with a voltage regulator.
Well mine takes a 592830. Which i think is only 16amps. pretty weak. Would be nice to get a higher amperage. Could i use another startor with my current flywheel and regulator ect...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts