My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
I feel your pain, latexyankee! I'm remodeling my entire house from the studs out by myself. My house was built in 1939.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I feel your pain, latexyankee! I'm remodeling my entire house from the studs out by myself. My house was built in 1939.
Apparently so was my tub. Builder decided to put a 40 year old tub in - in '78. also decided to just tape some drywall to it and call it day. Thing used to be made much better before around '90, but not my home lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Laytex, the new tubs are acrylic and much lighter. Home Depot or Lowes sells them and they deliver them.
Yea have to replace tub, surround, all of it. Already have it taken care of through my plumbers supplier. Nothing fancy, very standard fiberglass. Its the guest/hall/kids bathroom, I could care less.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
View attachment 2489659

I built this to level my driveway.Rear tractor tires to back edge of I beam (what I am using as a cutting edge), 5 feet.
Each pass cuts holes and humps down by a factor of 5.
A couple passes and all humps and pot holes are gone.
I bought one of these and it is awesome. Everyone is impressed by it. Does an awesome job. Hydraulic version is excellent. However it looks like they stopped building them but has a video how to

I know I'm late to the party. But I found this thread the other day. It's really interesting, with a ton of good info, thanks all!

latexyankee, how is this process doing from your side? Have you gotten to start with trying it out? What implements are you intending to use?

@Dave55, and @Spartan, thanks for posting these! Dave55, I also really appreciate your explanation (which I trimmed, above). That helped understand how that tool should help smooth things out. And the Youtube video is pretty impressive, even if they're not currently selling those.

My plans are not as impressive as yours, latexyankee. But I have areas of the yard that are a little low, which I'm hoping to help raise and smooth. I put a bucket on my tractor, so that can move material from a pile.

I also have a length of chain-link fence which I've used to drag around and smooth things out. It helped after I used the Brinly cultivator to chew up an area of the yard. But since there's no real structure to it, it just follows the surface. It won't really knock down high areas (think of a gradual small mound), since it just flexes to conform to them.

The box blade sounds pretty interesting for this sort of thing, but maybe the wheeled implements as shown above are even better. Maybe dragging something like a pallet could do a decent job with high and low spots. It has structure, and also a "wheelbase" to it, so might help deal with gradual dips or rises. I might be able to find a pallet for free, anyways.

I don't have a ripper, but if I needed something like that, I could try removing most of the cultivator tines, and use just the center one (or a few near the center), and see how that did.

There are lots of good ideas and suggestions here, thank you to all! latex, I hope you can get most of this done with just tractor attachments. That would kinda be more fun (well, in a way, vs something like renting a Bobcat), and would really let you take advantage of what your tractor can do. Even if you have to work somewhat gradually, as these still aren't bulldozers, sadly.

I don't remember what you have for tires. But if traction becomes a problem, I got a set of used ATV tires, inspired by @STEVE Urqell . I got mine for $10 on CL, they've added a bunch more traction vs my turf tires. And something like chains can be installed/removed more easily, if you didn't want to deal with swapping tires.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts