My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
4,675 Posts
Heavy Hitch is more expensive than the moto alliance one but its a thicker metal. People that bought the moto alliance one busted the the shank when using it.
You can try it its only $109.

Sleeve hitch adapter is $59.99

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I read the reviews on the cheaper ones. Most complained about it breaking and bad welds. I decided it was worth getting something that was not going to break easily. I plan on using mine with a much bigger tractor. If you know how to weld, you could probably fix a broken weld. But brittle steel will still be brittle and break. The traction of an X500 series might not be too much for the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The HH combo is longer than the ripper only version. This is an advantage for me. But, you should check the angle on you sleeve hitch to see if the JB adapter and HH combo would go high enough to clear when you want to transport it and not dig. Check what happens when you go up hill and the front is higher than the rear, which will reduce the effective lift of the sleeve hitch.

The HH ripper only version is significantly cheaper, so it might be a better choice for your tractor, especially since you don't need/want to go deep.

I haven't had a chance to use mine. (I got it too late and the weather became more unpredictable for the task I had in mind.) I do think it is heavy duty. Tractor Time with Tim has a video of it with his 1 series. He did not seem too happy with it and kept breaking the shear bolt. I doubt you would have that problem with your tractor.
Looks like the HH ripper is only compatible with the HH receiver. Since the actual ripper attaches to the frame of the receiver, not a standard receiver connection?

Also with the moto alliance products some were saying all their implements work with their sleeve to receiver adapter. IS this manufacturer specific? Would my johnny products standard 2in sleeve to receiver not fit some of these rippers?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Looks like the HH ripper is only compatible with the HH receiver. Since the actual ripper attaches to the frame of the receiver, not a standard receiver connection?

Also with the moto alliance products some were saying all their implements work with their sleeve to receiver adapter. IS this manufacturer specific? Would my johnny products standard 2in sleeve to receiver not fit some of these rippers?
HH & MotoAlliance have their own adapters for connection to a sleeve hitch while other manufacturers simply connect straight to the sleeve hitch. I have the MotoAlliance line (Impact Implements). Each of MotoAlliance implements have their own 2" receiver. Many trucks, ATV's and other have 2" inch receivers for towing various things like trailers, attaching hooks and other. To connect the two together, a 2" bar is needed. That is what the sleeve hitch adapter is for the MotoAlliance.
If you already have the JP sleeve hitch 2" receiver, all you would need is a 2" inch bar to connect the MotoAlliance products together.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Motoalliance uses a 2" receiver on their implements. HH uses a 2" bar that is designed to fit into a standard 2" receiver. If you have a MA implement and a standard 2" receiver, you can use a 2" bar to connect them. If you have MA sleeve hitch adapter and a HH implement, you can use a long 2" receiver to connect them. This way you can mix and match implements with a single sleeve hitch adapter. HH also makes a 2" receiver to sleeve hitch adapter. I have one and use it on my Brinly box blade and my Agri-Fab rock rake with my front loader and 3PH (which both have 2" receivers) on my CUT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
HH & MotoAlliance have their own adapters for connection to a sleeve hitch while other manufacturers simply connect straight to the sleeve hitch. I have the MotoAlliance line (Impact Implements). Each of MotoAlliance implements have their own 2" receiver. Many trucks, ATV's and other have 2" inch receivers for towing various things like trailers, attaching hooks and other. To connect the two together, a 2" bar is needed. That is what the sleeve hitch adapter is for the MotoAlliance.
If you already have the JP sleeve hitch 2" receiver, all you would need is a 2" inch bar to connect the MotoAlliance products together.
right ok. thats what i was getting at. A sleeve to 2in receiver should fit any brand receiver implement just maybe with an extension, which are plentiful right down the road at my TSC.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ok so Im an idiot (as most of you already know)...I tend just buy things I THINK I need beforehand and sometimes they sit for months before I realize I need something else. So I DONT have the Johnny sleeve to receiver adapter, I have the sleeve to tongue (I think thats what its called). Still useful and I remember I bought it for a bigger cart I may want, and to use the current crappy cart I have now without taking off the sleeve hitch. It has a space for ball as well etc..Pic below

So now knowing this, does anyone's opinion change on the sleeve to receiver adapter and ripper? Any other options? I thought beforehand I already had the adapter, I see I'm wrong. HH stuff is top notch, but that price is hurting me for the combo. I need to order this weekend so if there are any other offers out there bring it on.

Also should I be concerned about hitch height on any of these rippers? Ive parked the tractor for the night and forgot to measure (X540). It seems theyre rated for ATVs and such so do those commonly sit higher? I can raise my powered sleeve from the seat but its doesnt move up and down a foot or anything. Trying to find the exact specs for max height online but coming up short. Part LP66661 in case one of you wizards know this info @Sergeant

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I have the JP powered sleeve hitch which I think is quite similar to the JD one. A benefit of the powered sleeve hitch is that you can exert downward pressure to the implement you are using. You can actually raise the rear of the tractor by going down on the powered sleeve hitch with an implement. The hitch itself is the pivot point and with a longer shaft, you can get deeper or higher in the air. The MotoAlliance middlebuster or ripper shank is 12 inches long, that's the part that would go into the ground so with a longer shaft one could get deeper, but would require more power to pull it through the ground.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The HH combo ripper middle buster is long, but also adjustable. I am sure it could be made short enough. The HH one works with a standard 2" receiver, so you can use it with that on a 3PH (if you ever get a bigger tractor).

For the X540, I don't think it matters that much. I did not want to deal with broken welds and cheap thin metal, so I got the HH one. It certainly looks more than sturdy enough. The MA one looks like it might not be quite as sturdy. Probably not an issue with the X540.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have the JP powered sleeve hitch which I think is quite similar to the JD one. A benefit of the powered sleeve hitch is that you can exert downward pressure to the implement you are using. You can actually raise the rear of the tractor by going down on the powered sleeve hitch with an implement. The hitch itself is the pivot point and with a longer shaft, you can get deeper or higher in the air. The MotoAlliance middlebuster or ripper shank is 12 inches long, that's the part that would go into the ground so with a longer shaft one could get deeper, but would require more power to pull it through the ground.
So im not quite sure on the downforce for the deere hitch as it uses the same hydraulics as the deck. I agree on the JP though, my Johnny plow Jr lifts the front end way up, lots of downforce.

The reason i was worried about heights is like what another poster said: clearance. These are mounds so id like to have clearance when raised up to traverse to the end of the terrain, drive over the mound possibly, lower to dig, drive back to the starting point, dig again, wash rinse repeat. Make sense or I am overthinking?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Am I crazy or are these the same product? Both are right next to each other on the product page, with different descriptions and different SKU but same price:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You have to use one when you are going left to right and the other when you are going the other direction.

But, seriously, they look the same. I would call and see if they can tell you the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
So im not quite sure on the downforce for the deere hitch as it uses the same hydraulics as the deck. I agree on the JP though, my Johnny plow Jr lifts the front end way up, lots of downforce.

The reason i was worried about heights is like what another poster said: clearance. These are mounds so id like to have clearance when raised up to traverse to the end of the terrain, drive over the mound possibly, lower to dig, drive back to the starting point, dig again, wash rinse repeat. Make sense or I am overthinking?
Perhaps the easiest thing to do is on level ground attach a straight pole to the hitch and operate the raise / lower to see your distances. Then use that as a guide when approaching the work area.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You have to use one when you are going left to right and the other when you are going the other direction.

But, seriously, they look the same. I would call and see if they can tell you the difference.
6 months ago you would have had me, but ive since been trained well here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Perhaps the easiest thing to do is on level ground attach a straight pole to the hitch and operate the raise / lower to see your distances. Then use that as a guide when approaching the work area.
I mean it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to move off the seat and take the ripper off with each pass, it would just suck. These aren't large areas by any standard. BUT it sure is one the reasons I invested in the powered hitch! Just reminding myself not every implement is going to be a perfect fit and solution for my individual machine.

Looks like Im going with MA. I really only see it as a $100 cost as the sleeve to receiver adapter is going to be a necessity at some point anyway.

@Flaken since you've been invested in this thread, do you have any comments/suggestions/warnings about aerators? I havent even begun to research all I know is they have different length spikes. Needing one for the general home owner on 1 acre but with many obstacles. Guess Im thinking a 3 or 4 ft wide aerator may be better for me than a 6-8ft wide version. Care to chime in?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Aerators? Just my opinion, but I think aerators should be used on well established lawns with a thick layer of thatch. The purpose of the aerator is to punch holes through that thatch whether by a spike or a tube pulling plugs out so that water and other nutrients can get to the grass roots. Really don't need one here as there is minimal thatch in my yard. I mulch mow only and we get more than enough rain (over 5 feet a year) that all the clippings and other rot quickly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Aerators? Just my opinion, but I think aerators should be used on well established lawns with a thick layer of thatch. The purpose of the aerator is to punch holes through that thatch whether by a spike or a tube pulling plugs out so that water and other nutrients can get to the grass roots. Really don't need one here as there is minimal thatch in my yard. I mulch mow only and we get more than enough rain (over 5 feet a year) that all the clippings and other rot quickly.
Interesting. The more horticulture focused guy who came to look at my property thinks Im in dire need of aeration. I have thick areas but they are patchy. Think of circular area. Within that circle are patches of decently thick grass/turf and also plenty of patches of insanely dry cracked earth. Weird how they can both be a foot in size and butt right up against each other.

So to quote your point about using them so water and nutrients can get into the soil for stronger roots, I believe that's exactly what he determined in those areas.

I have time to source one, at least a month and they're commonly found at BB stores and TSC just haven't read up on spike length or whatever other differences there are between them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just ordered the MA adapter and buster, $169 shipped. I couldn't swallow the HH price. Hope it works out, I see this being a rarely used implement in my case after the initial job so it should hold up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So the MA adapter and ripper came in but they are the same outside diameter. Am i supposed to get an extension or drawbar? The site says they are supposed to fit. I figured the ripper was correct outside diameter to fit in inside the receiver.

A few of you have this set, did I order the wrong part?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts