My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the deepest recesses of my garage, with security measures that pall the Pentagon, a prototype of the Sammy Bucket is being developed. Some of you will say it looks like a Johnny Bucket SR when its unveiled, but be assured it is definitly home grown. It will fit a 1886

With encouragement from MTF (mytractorforum) colleagues, I will be willing to release progress photo's (after passing the censor's review), and post the design and fabrication plans upon passing successful testing.

·
Super Moderator
32,057 Posts
Sam1886 said:
In the deepest recesses of my garage, with security measures that pall the Pentagon, a prototype of the Sammy Bucket is being developed. Some of you will say it looks like a Johnny Bucket SR when its unveiled, but be assured it is definitly home grown. It will fit a 1886

With encouragement from MTF (mytractorforum) colleagues, I will be willing to release progress photo's (after passing the censor's review), and post the design and fabrication plans upon passing successful testing.
Come on what you waiting for??? Lets get some details!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sam,

The lid is off the “Sammy Bucket” project !!! :14_6_5:
However, satellite photo’s failed to provide any project details
so you will have to accommodate us with some.

While members on other forums toil :banghead3 with Grill Guard installations
our guys fear no undertaking when it comes to projects.

“Instructions…..We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Instructions” :fing02:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first try at uploading an image. Here is the Sammy Bucket Frame. Its a start. Frame is tacked together, and fits the 1886 like a precision machine.
The bucket gets started, when the material arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phase I is finished

After moving at glacial speed, the SB is all tacked together, and amazingly enough, everything lined up. Onto getting the hydraulic dump mechinism working.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phase I, one more pic

Next up date will be when it is painted. The SB that is, not the Bolens

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That looks like a pretty big bucket. You might want to consider beefing up the spindles on the front end. I have a smaller bucket (FEL) on my MTD. The front end is getting kinda sloppy after 30 years.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Carl said:
That looks like a pretty big bucket. You might want to consider beefing up the spindles on the front end.
That thought crossed my mind too. What CY capacity is that bucket?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I don't think those spindles would have any trouble handling that bucket. Those large frame tractors could handle a full size FEL with a 500lb capacity in the bucket, which doesn't include the weight of the FEL itself. They could also handle a back-ho. Unless you're picking up your house it should be fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Holy Cow SAM…

That looks GREAT !!!
Please keep on posting as the project moves along, I’m lovin’ this.
BTW, I agree with sixchows on not worrying about the spindles
The 1886’s have the older spindle design which is heavier than the
HT-18, 20 and even the HT-23 spindles !!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bucket dimensions are 42wide x 22 deep x 18 high. On paper it seemed to have good proportions. Being fabricated from 11 ga plate, it weights about 150 lbs, and another 50 for the frames. This will all come out with the plans.

Volume = 5.45 cu ft (.20 yds). I think the pic makes it look big since I had to resize the image to upload.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
sixchows said:
I don't think those spindles would have any trouble handling that bucket. Those large frame tractors could handle a full size FEL with a 500lb capacity in the bucket, which doesn't include the weight of the FEL itself. They could also handle a back-ho. Unless you're picking up your house it should be fine.

I have a 1250 with a johnson FEL, and have actually blown out both front tires from the bucket being overloaded. (very old tires ) The front end holds up well .. the 1886 has a larger spindel .. and should do just fine. With the bucket..even filled with lead.

I tried to pick up a 875 lb line puller/trencher to get it out of my truck .. thats when not one but both tires blew out .. it actually lifted the weight..
I have 100lbs with wheel weights on the rear , along with a rear mounted weight box filled with car and truck tire lead weights. Around 200 lbs I would guess. The rear hardly came up. I dont even want to know just how much weight I put on those front tires and spindles .. well over a 1000lbs I would guess ..and as much as 13-1400 lbs :bonk: Yes I am nuts .. live and learn

Just a little FYI

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thought I would check the status of this bucket... I know its a really old thread... but I would love to see the final product.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Thought I would check the status of this bucket... I know its a really old thread... but I would love to see the final product.
Sam the guy who made it has not posted here at MTF since 10-02-2007

You maybe better off sending him a PM or an e-mail through his profile ... It looks like he does stop in once in a while

1 - 16 of 16 Posts