My Tractor Forum banner

Project: LoBoy Custom

81K views 741 replies 34 participants last post by  Ken N Tx 
#1 ·
I bought this early 70's IH LoBoy 154 a few years back. I've used it as cart/trailer puller mostly. It has aged a bit, but nothing serious. I did what needed doing to get it running real smooth. Nothing major, mostly fuel issues. I really like this tractor, and also have an early 80's LoBoy 184 and a '49 Cub. All have the little 9 to 18hp 4 poppers. Very unique sound. Very cool to hear on a smooth throttle up. Anyhow, closer inspection told me it was time to stop the slow downward slide condition wise. And that allows me to change/add some things that I think are an upgrade, improve the aesthetics or is just plain cool.

Major points of focus will be, that no matter what, when you look at the finished product you will still see IH LoBoy. You will know it's not stock, but you will still know it's a LoBoy. It will be as "lean" as possible. Anything that I know I won't be using, will be gone. Rear PTO, prime example. It will be a puller and snow plower. Fix the steering. I see the amount of linkage, and it's lack of component mass as a design flaw. Either improve it, or better yet make it hydraulic.

Aesthetics overall are to my liking. I think these are appealing machines visually. I do however think there is an imbalance upfront. The grill/nose dominates the tires, etc. I'd like to go with bigger treads upfront. Bring suspension into play. Also rework the headlight/grill configuration.

For me, the sound of these 4 bangers is classic. For a tractor this size to have that much sound is pretty cool. Trouble is, right now, this tractor is a RATTLE TRAP. The sound of the rear drive and rear PTO linkage drowns out the symphony. I think it's a bit design, a bit wear. That will change. Everything gets fixed, looked over, tightened.

It will be painted........yes Scott, painted. Not stock, but genuine IH.

It's a mild custom compared to some stuff I've done, but it will take time. I think and change my mind a lot. But, if you hang with me, she'll get done eventually.

Here's a photo from last night. She's the classic 30 footer. Looks fairly nice, right?

Let's get a little closer........

Not as nice close up, stay tuned :fing32:

See less See more
#4 ·
LoBoys are cool, this ought to be a gooden. Lawn chair and pop corn at the ready.

#6 ·
Wow! This looks like it will be fun to watch.

Just wondering, does this mean the suspension on THE Custom has been shelved?:hide: Not complaining. . just wondering?

I see you're point about the tires on the front being dwarfed - and I am not even familiar with Lo-boys. I like the look tho.

>. . . . . . . . . . . but it will take time. . . . . . . . if you hang with me, she'll get done eventually.
Just one more "Wondering" We could start an over/under on this, if it were not so susceptible to manipulation.

I wonder how many times Cat358B will feel it appropriate to prod Ellis with the above quote? Just wondering?:fing32:

#7 ·
Just wondering, does this mean the suspension on THE Custom has been shelved?:hide: Not complaining. . just wondering?
No, not at all. They will both have it, if I get a trouble free system worked out. In my head, it works out. Real world :dunno:

#9 ·
I guess I fall in line with a few people here. Always liked the look of the LoBoy's. This way I can safely watch somebody else break their knuckles on a restore. And try and learn a thing or two.

Will be subscribing, grabbing popcorn and a good stout.:thThumbsU or two.

#19 ·

Right there up front w/ you, Jack, also.
Now let's GET BUSY--as he likes to throw out to ---

glenn

Attachments

#10 ·
Alright! Another free comedy *ehem* build show! Chair has been turned and popcorn is nearing completion.

#13 ·
Got my lawn chair, cooler and grill since we may be here awhile :sidelaugh
I brought my sleeping bag, 'cuz sumthin' tells me that we'll be here a while. :sidelaugh

#12 ·
:dancingpa OK, the gang is here, time to get wrenching!! :fing32:

I REALLY like the front tires that are on my new to me (2 weeks) similar sized tractor.

The fronts are 23x8.50x12 tires,,, yep, the same tires that are on the back of many Gravely GTs',,, :swow:

You might have some of those,,, already!! :dunno:

I have mowed with it 4 different times, ZERO front end slide,,, it ALWAYS turns.

#14 ·
Will there be refreshments?

#15 ·
I'm tuned in also. I passed one of these for a year sitting in someone's front yard for sale. It would disappear for a few weeks the re-appear with the price a little lower. I was waiting for it to come down to my level but it's been gone awhile. It was pretty rough looking also.

Maybe it will be good to watch you so when I come across another one i'll know what I'm up against.

Will this be done before summer is over? :dunno:

#20 ·
To those who are new to a TireTrx thread, please be patient. Mention of work does not equal actual work done. Something done for a fellow member? Done faster than a shake of a lamb's tail. He can turn a fresh cow pie into fine china.

He does not have quite the laser-like focus when it comes to his own projects however.

Al, I think the over/under bet should be what page this thread is on before any actual work gets done to the IH. I say #4.

#18 ·
Following along on this one too. I was very close to picking one of these up with a FEL, but after doing some research I was worried it would end up being too underpowered. They are pretty neat looking tractors though, looking forward to seeing the Ellis treatment it gets.

#24 ·
Glad to see that progress has started!

#25 ·
I hope you left a trail of bread crumbs so the mice can find where you relocated their yellow condo? :sidelaugh

:ditto: There are definitely two time schedules........Bust your but to meet deadlines no matter when new things are discovered, when being paid.

And one's own leisurely time schedule.....with lots of fluid replacements between 16 measurements before 1 cut.

#27 ·
I hope you left a trail of bread crumbs so the mice can find where you relocated their yellow condo? :sidelaugh
Yes, yes I did.......got a little hungry later though :hide:

#28 ·
I just tuned in to the MTF entertainment channel. I see I've already missed an episode or two, but I've caught up.

Not to deny the artist taking the time to find his muse, but I have calculated that based on his prior build timeline, I will have qualified for, and be receiving social security retirement checks before this build is completed.:sidelaugh

I also like Lo Boys. I ran across one for sale on CL the other day. Looking forward to another great build, Ellis. BTW what about flames?:D

#31 ·
I got my recliner out for this one ! Wonder how many years this one will be?? Lol?

#32 ·
It IS a bigger starting tractor.....
:hide:

#33 ·
Lol that's true GTN!!?

#41 ·
Put in a long night last night. Noodled out some features I wanted. Broke it down quite a bit. And I think I got some more direction on the look. Longer, higher and as lean as I can get it. Didn't take any pics. I'll get some later. I saw "it" last night, pretty stoked!

#49 ·
The exhaust will be modified. Got a couple directions. Right now it's all about the foot print, the palette if you will.

#50 ·
This should be good! I have seen one like this for sale locally last year. Way too big for us, but looked cool!

#54 ·
But--Mike--you have to remember--great artist's (using the term VERY loosely)
cannot be rushed....Look at Monet and Rembrandt, such as they were...Took them decades on 'projects'

Back to our regular scheduled commercials.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.