My Tractor Forum banner
681 - 700 of 742 Posts
Discussion starter · #681 ·
Extracted the clutch, tranny, tube from the PK today. Tore down one gear reduction out of curiosity. Figured some might also be curious about the "innards" of such things.

Auto part
Auto part

The object of desire.

Rust

Clutch/bell housing.

Auto part Technology Machine Rotor
Rim Machine

Discussion starter · #686 ·
Ellis not sure but thought I'd ask, can you replicate the castings too in your shop?
Actually, I could if needed Tim. Won't have to in this case, though. We turn a lot of castings at my business, mostly bronze, some aluminum. We have a foundry in Pa. that does the castings. I do some pattern making in my woodworking shop. When I first started working at the company I heard the then owners talking about the expense of patterns, so I shared that I thought I could do it a lot cheaper. They let me have a chance on a custom hand wheel. It went well, and that's how it started. Having a lathe is essential. Also there's some calculating involved for shrinkage(basically 3/8" for 12") and planning draft for part removal from the sand molds. Few other things involved but can't tell you or you'd start doing it and put me out of business and I got a family to feed and as much as I like you Tim if I don't feed them child services will be at my door. Otherwise I would tell you, hope you understand.

Actually, I could if needed Tim. Won't have to in this case, though. We turn a lot of castings at my business, mostly bronze, some aluminum. We have a foundry in Pa. that does the castings. I do some pattern making in my woodworking shop. When I first started working at the company I heard the then owners talking about the expense of patterns, so I shared that I thought I could do it a lot cheaper. They let me have a chance on a custom hand wheel. It went well, and that's how it started. Having a lathe is essential. Also there's some calculating involved for shrinkage(basically 3/8" for 12") and planning draft for part removal from the sand molds. Few other things involved but can't tell you or you'd start doing it and put me out of business and I got a family to feed and as much as I like you Tim if I don't feed them child services will be at my door. Otherwise I would tell you, hope you understand.
Now what do I do in retirement next month?

Discussion starter · #689 ·
Still waiting--two little pic's--just enough to wet someone's appetite.
Sitting patiently/falling asleep....ZZZZZZZZZ

glenn

May be 'extinuating circumstances' going into the next milenium......:unsure::unsure:

glenn

Discussion starter · #696 ·
I feel like Elon Musk................only poor......and with no friends.

Well it's been just over a year when we last visited this project on Jan 13, 2020.

I feel like Elon Musk................only poor......and with no friends.
Poor Ellis.., no friends.., and no updates! :)
Seems this thread is just another example of a place where good ideas and well meaning intentions go to die.
So friends, please take a moment to bow our heads for a moment of silent prayer... and JUST MAYBE, this project can be resurrected from the dead! Can I get a Hallelujah! 🙌
MikeC

Extracted the clutch, tranny, tube from the PK today. Tore down one gear reduction out of curiosity. Figured some might also be curious about the "innards" of such things.

View attachment 2441668 View attachment 2441669

The object of desire.

View attachment 2441670

Clutch/bell housing.

View attachment 2441671 View attachment 2441672
/////////////////////////////////////

Wow--Ellis--looking at all these pictures--in the first one (#1)==that is a 'speed wrench' with a socket on the end...probably 1/2"--I've got two of those--haven't used them in years after the advent of air and cordless tools. Definately 'ol school' (y) continue on- Sir!
glenn

681 - 700 of 742 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.