My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5ft. wide concrete walkway 7ft. up and 50+ feet long. There are 12 treated 6x6 posts evenly spaced along outside edge. The posts are all roughly 24" high from walkway (+,-- 4").
Posts about 5.5" across and 7.7" diagonal.
I have 100 feet of 1/4" 3000# test heavy chain I just got.
I'd like to have the chain up about 4 to 5 ft. above walkway for safety. I have leftover treated material from new barn...but I don't want 2x6s and a railing as friends/ neighbors suggested, (but I don't want a $2,000 project either).
I'm thinking if I had a dozen 8" dia. 1/4" steel pipe 5ft long would be perfect (expensive though I'm sure).
Any ideas appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cut all posts to same height, then vertical black iron pipe with a tee to run the chain through? Maybe insert a bolt at each end of each tee to prevent the chain from pulling through? I think I would want to bevel cut the tops of the posts to shed water.

·
21,419 Posts
I have a 5ft. wide concrete walkway 7ft. up and 50+ feet long. There are 12 treated 6x6 posts evenly spaced along outside edge. The posts are all roughly 24" high from walkway (+,-- 4").
Posts about 5.5" across and 7.7" diagonal.
I have 100 feet of 1/4" 3000# test heavy chain I just got.
I'd like to have the chain up about 4 to 5 ft. above walkway for safety. I have leftover treated material from new barn...but I don't want 2x6s and a railing as friends/ neighbors suggested, (but I don't want a $2,000 project either).
I'm thinking if I had a dozen 8" dia. 1/4" steel pipe 5ft long would be perfect (expensive though I'm sure).
Any ideas appreciated.
You haven't investigated the cost of your vision. Steel tubing or pipe of a size close to what you desire will weigh over 1000 lb at a cost in excess of $2.00 per pound. For an exact fit pipe over the posts, the weight is over 2500 lb.

In addition:

- Aesthetically, 1/4" chain looks fine as a method for the hanging of lights. As a handrail, it leaves much to be desired for visual appreciation. It's too
small.

- While it has sufficient strength to function as a safety rail, again, it is too small to afford a comfortable grip. It has a cross sectional diameter of approximately 7/8" and a handrail is usually 1.25-1.5" in cross section.

In the situation that you have, I understand the reasoning to use the materials at hand, but the first function of any handrail is safety. Link chain of any size is not comfortable to hold onto when force is involved, especially in the smaller sizes. I know this because I have done it several times a day with chains up to 7/8" for over 30 years. The pressure points on the hands and fingers are small with a correspondingly high pounds per square inch of loading. Try doing chin-ups using 1/4" bolts for hand holds. A 1/4" chain does not offer any more surface to spread your weight over.

In your other thread on this topic, there were several good suggestions that offered both aesthetic and safe solutions at considerably lower cost. I suggest that you file your first plan where it belongs and take a serious look at the options offered.

·
Rich
383 Posts
This is what the original owner of my previous house had and I thought it was sharp looking. You would need to pick out some electrical steel electric conduit or something and be very accurate drilling the holes. Sorry the picture is not the best, but I never took just a picture of the railing. The 90 degree curve is behind the tree in the picture but don't think you are going to have a corner. Mine were not in modern code as far as spacing apart distance - <4" but if the distance to ground is short it may not matter.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts