My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1531 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I'm kind of leaning that way. I tend to mull things over a lot. But when I do come to a decision I like to jump on it. Like to also say Ed that your avatar tractor was partial inspiration for the custom. I've always admired it. I like how you took something really good and weren't afraid to make it better. My compliments :fing32:
Thanks! I wish I could take full credit for it but I can't. A friend of mine did it up and when he needed $$ he gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. It was my first Gravely 4 wheel tractor. I'll pass the compliment along when I see him again. I'm looking forward to seeing how your project comes along. Good luck and have fun with it. Ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I did not mean to highjack your thread Ellis! Your project has reminded me of how much I want to do another tractor up nice. Hopefully next year I'll have the time to tackle another project for now I barely have time to keep the grass mowed and driveway cleared! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your "Gravely stretch limo." As for that mid mount grader blade, I bought one last summer and used it under my 8123 to grade my gravel driveway. Easily one of the best attachments I've ever had. So much easier grading with the mid mount as oposed to the front mount or rear mount I was using before. Jrd you are going to have to stop by for another visit sometime. Ed

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I did not mean to highjack your thread Ellis! Your project has reminded me of how much I want to do another tractor up nice. Hopefully next year I'll have the time to tackle another project for now I barely have time to keep the grass mowed and driveway cleared! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your "Gravely stretch limo." As for that mid mount grader blade, I bought one last summer and used it under my 8123 to grade my gravel driveway. Easily one of the best attachments I've ever had. So much easier grading with the mid mount as oposed to the front mount or rear mount I was using before. Jrd you are going to have to stop by for another visit sometime. Ed
That is a cool project Ellis can't wait to see it as you go the progress pics are better than the finish pics!!! And JRD if you visit Ed let me know maybe I can get by also he is not far from my place >>>>>

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Thanks guys, I'd be happy to swing by. But I'll leave my wallet home, you guys just have too many cool toys :)

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I'd love to find a mid-mount blade. I know they hook into the mower pivots, but tell me - what keeps the blade itself in the vertical position?
I think these pictures will answer your questions. Ed

Attachments

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
when that things done it will be the envy of the forum. keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I made one of those grader blades for my 812 out of a walk behind snowplow that somebody had torched a corner off of. Cut it down to about 8" tall, and started welding. I placed it back just a bit too far, so I can only use it with the rear wheels turned in. It works pretty nice, I just don't use it very often.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I made one of those grader blades for my 812 out of a walk behind snowplow that somebody had torched a corner off of. Cut it down to about 8" tall, and started welding. I placed it back just a bit too far, so I can only use it with the rear wheels turned in. It works pretty nice, I just don't use it very often.
I had plans to make one the same way, a walkbehind blade is tall enough to make 2 graders, and definately heavy enough. Before I could start to fab it up I found a stock one for $100! Sometimes procrastination pays off. Ed

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
What the heck is going on here? I'm gone from the thread for a couple days to do some last minute Christmas shopping and I come back and Ed's totally hi-jacked my thread with his tractor and pics of a grader blade..................Just kidding Ed:sidelaugh Actually, I was thinking how cool that unit would be with hydraulics, for both height and angle. Stuff like this keeps the thread interesting. I did get about five hours in the shop and managed to get very little physically done with the custom. However, I was able to noodle out how to accomplish something I really want to have on the custom......a hinged hood. Having to unbolt the hood on my 400's and the 8169 was a pain and to me, a design flaw. Having the hinged hood on the 24G is a dream. After my brain cooled down I got some work done.

With the new hood design, the dash will have to be much more rigid. So I just added 2 more 1/4-20's. It's pretty tight in this area to drill and I wanted to drill with the dash in place. I used my little angle drill. These are ones I've come across through the years. They were used for fuselage on planes/jets by manufacturers like Grumman, Republic, Fairchild etc. back in the day. These companies were all based on Long Island at one time. If you ever see them reasonable, grab them, they're awesome! The dash is super solid now.

Another thing I want to change is the headlights. I want them in the style of Ed's. But I didn't want the grill to look like there had been lights there before. So I ground out a portion of the headlight frame and that will allow me to fabricate a one piece grill and install it. The cardboard template kind of gives you a feel for the new look.

I put a fair amount of time thinking about the hinge itself. Being a cast grill, it is subject to cracking from shock and vibration. I had to be careful not to compromise the strength of the casting with the hinge mechanics. To me, the strongest part of the grill is the very bottom. It is solid, thick and boxed. I attached a 1/4" plate to this with 6 bolts. I will weld ears to this, to which a solid rod will pass through, on which the hood will pivot.

Done for now. Looking forward to Christmas eve with my family. I'd like to wish everyone a Merry and safe Christmas. And hopefully you'll find a little Gravely gold under the tree in the morning:biggringi:snowing:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
41 - 60 of 1531 Posts