My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Picked up a Wheel Horse 520H to mildly restore with my kids, but the Onan needs a lot of work and expensive parts. Since we'll be using the tractor around our 5-acres (dragging timber, plowing/blowing snow, some mowing, etc), I'm leaning towards getting another JD to work on (with a Kohler or Kawi engine) and there are a few 316, 317, 318, or 400 models within 3-4 hours drive in my price range (1500-2000). I owned a GT 275 in the past and used it for everything, but my knowledge on the 300 and 400 series is limited. I'm reading as much as I can, but wanted to ask opinions of the group as well. Putting a hydro blade on the front would be GREAT as my drive is about 500 ft of stone at the top of a mountain.

Thanks all! In the meantime, I'll keep reading what I can find and searching Craigslist...

Hobo

·
Super Moderator
16,514 Posts
Hobo here is Good place for you to read up on the JD 300 and 400 series tractors made from 1975 till 1992 http://weekendfreedommachines.org/ I will say this stay away from the 317 unless it has a Kolher K series II engine in it. Kohler K series I suffured Catastrophic engine faluire because The engines only had splash lubricant. If you have a hilly yard it's not a Good engine for it. the 317 Because of the series I engine really gave Deere a Black eye during the 317 production years. That is the reason they went with Onan's with the 316 and 318.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hobo here is Good place for you to read up on the JD 300 and 400 series tractors made from 1975 till 1992 http://weekendfreedommachines.org/ I will say this stay away from the 317 unless it has a Kolher K series II engine in it. Kohler K series I suffured Catastrophic engine faluire because The engines only had splash lubricant. If you have a hilly yard it's not a Good engine for it. the 317 Because of the series I engine really gave Deere a Black eye during the 317 production years. That is the reason they went with Onan's with the 316 and 318.:thThumbsU
Thanks Sarg. I've been on that very site quite a bit, filtering through everyone's "favorites" and opinions. :) I have a line on a 400 that's in my range, but the "black sheep" of the family is a little harder to find attachments for. I'll keep researching and keep my eyes peeled. As for Machinefinder, that's where I found my last JD 650! Thanks everyone!

Hobo

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have a 400 and if you are just looking for a blade/weights and chains they are not hard to find. There is usually one of each on Ebay every time I look. Now, you might have to drive a bit or shell out some shipping but....it's worth it if you ask me. If you are religious about looking at craigslist you can find them there too but not often.

I have had mine since March and it has been a good machine so far. You can get a tune up kit and belts from Keeping it Green, which is cheaper than my dealer, even with shipping.

The only negative I have found so far is they are a little thirsty on fuel but it is 1100 pound tractor with a 60 inch deck and no rider or weights so...go figure.

I think its a good tractor but its the first big one that I have had. If you want the same thing but with more common attachments and a locking differential get a 420...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Hobo, there is a 400 package up in PA right now on craigslist for $6K, which includes the blower, FEL, and a tiller. If someone hasn't grabbed it already.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would think that is good price if it all works. I would strike while the iron is hot. Getting it all at once is a good deal. Besides you can sell the stuff you don't need or want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts