My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the condition of the motor (http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=66492) on the 2004 Sears DGT6000 I bought recently I have decided to completely replace the engine. Since this has turned into a winter project, I have decided to completely go through the entire thing front to back and restore it back to factory condition. My son and I have had a blast working on it so far. I have pics but I have "newmemberitis" and I am still trying to learn how to post pics. There are good instructions, just need time to figure it all out.

So far we have tore motor completely apart and also tore deck comlpetely apart. Found 2 bad spindles and pulleys. Here goes my allowance.......

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like fun. Getting ready to do the same to mine, but I'm replacing the frame rails.
Welcome to MTF!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thats why im glad i live in the south- can work outside on stuff all year round.

I agree- since the motor is shot- its a perfect time to go thru and rebuild the tractor.

Most the time i dont even deal with broken ( internally) motors- i take all the useable pieces off and take it to the junkyard. It just easier to locate a parts tractor with a decent motor and swap it.

All the tractors i have in my collection were picked up as non runners- besides being cheeper, in all honesty most need very little to get em going again ( in some cases) .

Two perfect examples are my 99 and 03 murrays- the 99 i got when i sold an RER rider- it had a blown engine and i just happened to have a brand new 13HP briggs i got from another guy ( he was retiring from the lawntractor repair and sold me all his stuff he couldnt use)- within a couple hours i had a nearly brand new tractor 'free' .

The 03 murray i got off a coworker- had been in his garage for like nearly a year and he just wanted it gone.FREE.
This one cost a lil more to fix it- $10 for a new air filter and $6 for a deck bering...under $20 and its a perfect running riding mower.
Gotta love those deals.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some more pic's. My son power spraying the frame. Tools of the trade. I powerspray, wire brush to knock of rust and loose paint, apply rust convertor/primer to where rust has been, 2-3 light coats of primer and 2-3 coats of black. I read tonight that some people do not like valspar. It seems good to me. I checked into getting the parts powdercoated but I cannot afford that. Third pic is parts getting prepped and last picture is finished parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its looking good Searsman.... I need to re-paint my Craftsman II sometime this winter as well, although I wont be doing a complete restore...

Anyway, great job so far....!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
It's going to be a fine looking machine when you are finished..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I am almost through tearing down. Just got through ordering several bushings and washers to rebuild all of steering and front end. The rear is in good shape. Couple more pieces metal to remove and paint and then paint some of frame. Then I can start reassembly.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Keep up the good work and enjoy the time with your son. slkpk

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Looking good searsman. I would need a son that age to help me remember where all the parts went during assembly:ROF .

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice progress, keep us up to date.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ive herd of ' home powder coating' kits- the only thing is the size of the oven- most just buy a cheep electric oven and use that for smaller parts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sears has a powder coating gun for a good price right now - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917288000P
and I have read some good reviews online for it. I was really tempted to get it but I would also have to get an oven. Any way for now I am just doing the best with what I got.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
great job , what kind of engine are you going to use . look forward to more pictures

silver hair deere

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
Great Father and Son Project; your boy will remember this project forever.

So a great job keep the post coming :congrats: :congrats:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for the comments. This has turned out to be "just what the Dr. ordered" as far as bonding time with my son. He is ten now and I want to build a close relationship with him now before his teens. I can still remember tearing down a Farmall H and a Ford 6000 with my dad when I was growing up on a farm as a kid.

great job , what kind of engine are you going to use . look forward to more pictures

silver hair deere

I found one at Jacks Small engines that I think will probably fit perfectly without having to do any modifications I hope. So far the best price option I have found. To replace the exact engine I have now would be $1800. Here is a link to the engine. Does anybody see anything I might be missing as far as swapping engines?

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/small_engine_model.cfm?product_id_number=316&type=Vertical

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I was able to save $400 by going from a 27 hp engine to a 25 hp engine would it be worth it. Will it handle the 54" deck adequately? Would I ever notice the 2 horse loss? Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
590 Posts
:ditto:
If I was able to save $400 by going from a 27 hp engine to a 25 hp engine would it be worth it. Will it handle the 54" deck adequately? Would I ever notice the 2 horse loss? Any thoughts or ideas?
When replacing an engine the only details you need to determine are; crankshaft position (relative position on the deck), crankshaft diameter, crankshaft length, key configuration, and bolt thread size and pitch. Essentially the centerline of the new engines crankshaft must be in the same position as the engine removed. The shaft diameter, key configuration, thread size/pitch, and shaft length (measured from case to tip of shaft) must be the same as the old engine, to insure the 1) old pulley assembly fits the shaft, and 2) the pulley(s) are in the same up-down position(s) as the old engine. Even if the new engine has a somewhat different bolt patern, you can always drill new mounting holes. I would never go down in HP unless I had to (or the price was right), but then again I seriously doubt you'd see much of a difference in performance dropping 2hp.

Also, have you checked the prices at SEC here: http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/ I've purchased several engines from SEC and they have very fast shipping, they're great people to deal with, very knowlegable, fair pricing, and you'll get good communication from them. They always have several engines in each class which are very reasonably priced.

These guys sell rebuilt engines fro good prices and have been around a few years: http://stores.ebay.com/Small-Air-Cooled-Engines. If money is an issue this may be a way to go too. They are a custom engine shop and normally finish a rebuild to suit your needs. You can contact them directly, in advance, and describe what your replacing. They can match what you need on the spot. One caveat is they take 5-7 days to ship because they complete the rebuild after the order is received.

I assume based on the previous posts it is 1 1/8 x 4 3/8 shaft size. If you can determine the rest of the spec's of the old engines shaft then you'll know which engines are a match.

great job , what kind of engine are you going to use . look forward to more pictures. silver hair deere
:ditto:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Will it handle the 54" deck adequately? Would I ever notice the 2 horse loss? Any thoughts or ideas?
25hp will handle the 54" deck fine.
I can't tell a difference between my 24hp or 27hp, both with hydro trans. The 24hp tractor pulls everything the 27 does.

Just my experience, yours will differ.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts