My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spotted a 345 on craigslist that is listed for $700 not far from me.
I've been looking for a decent GT to replace my craftsman mower, and I've mostly had my eye on Simplicity/Allis, and I know next to nothing about Deere.

I called the seller and he indicated that it has a 'pretty bad' oil leak from somewhere and that it will fire up and run if you pour gas into the carb, but it won't keep running otherwise.

I was reading that the valve cover o rings are a known source of oil leaks on these.

Do you think it is worth going to take a look at it or is it likely more trouble than it is worth?

Here is the ad:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/3794845169.html

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
$200 or $300 tops, it's a non runner, no way I would pay $700 for it.

Top Hood part is cracked and the left front tire has no tread at all.

Did the seller mention how many hours on the machine?

Handy place for a tool box that size?:dunno:

Inless that for 2-6-packs on ice?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspected as much.
The seller did say it has about 1500hrs on it.

He was pretty much an *** about the whole thing, which certainly should have been my first clue.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I suspected as much.
The seller did say it has about 1500hrs on it.

He was pretty much an *** about the whole thing, which certainly should have been my first clue.
You called him?

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
My advice is to walk away from that one unless like Jim says you can get it for $200. There's a lot wrong with it, the hours are OK but it's half done, and it will take some $$ to get back to decent shape. We didn't even start discussing the plastic CAM issue.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I concur, as much as I love my 345 I would say leave this one right where it is........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I called to ask about it before I posted. He basically said that he didn't have time to mess with it and it "wasn't worth his time" to tell me about it. Then he said something like if you know what these are you know what they're worth and if you don't go look them up.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep looking for my upgrade.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It would cost way more than what it's worth to get it in decent shape. You will spend over $1k to get it running and looking good and it will still need more new parts. I would offer $250 at most and see if he takes it, otherwise move on and look for another one. I have two of these and parts are very expensive when purchased new. The tie rod ends alone are $28 each and if it has 1500 hours it will need all new steering parts guaranteed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts