Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Green Automotive tire Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Green Automotive lighting Hood Fluid

Picked up a '78 212 in what I would call decent shape. Wanted to start a thread and document the progress as it goes forward. Here she sits after a good pressure wash and before any work is performed. 1st up, carburetor and air filter housing are ordered. Engine runs but issues with the float necessitated replacement. Once installed and tuned the next up will be deck, fender/footrest pan and most likely driver console removal. My goal on this one is to use/repair as many original parts as possible since the unit is fairly complete as it sits.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Just a few more
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Plant Tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Plant Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

1st 200 series but I have always admired them. Just finished a 445. Looking for this one to take up some time over the winter.

Reactions: MoJoMowerman
#5 ·
The hydraulic lift was the deciding factor in me taking a chance on this one vs. another one. Both had limited rust, this one the deck needs more work but may not even come into play. It will be the last piece of the puzzle I tackle merely because I really have no need for another "mower".

#6 ·
Yeah, that was why I sold my 216..... Took to long to mow with it. (3 acres taking 6 to 8 hours.....) and it beat the crap out of me while doing so. My yard is kinda rough. :D Replaced it with a gravely GMT 9000, with a 72 inch deck. My mowing time dropped to about 2 and a half hours.... Sold all the Gravely stuff I had, and replaced it with an x485. About thee hours to mow the yard, but, it is a much more comfortable and reliable tractor. I wanted hydraulics, power steering, and a hydrostatic trans. I would love a bigger deck, but, gotta get into the 2xxx series tractors for anything bigger than 62".... More money than I wanna spend. :D My wife has a 210 that she uses for gardening, and hauling stuff around the yard. :D She loves that little tractor.

#7 ·
This one will.most likely be used for light duty stuff. A yard toter or to pull a sweeper. I've got an x570 with 30 hours on it to mow and a 445 for anything heavy. Once this one is done I will be looking for a 100 series (as in 110) not a box store model, and most likely a 318. These just give me something to do in my down time, I find it relaxing. Here is my 445 I'm almost done with.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Green

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: B440 and mopar65pa
#9 ·
I'm pretty sure this one will not be. I still have a few more things on the 445 I want to finish up but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up. I did however already pull the deck so I could get an idea of how bad the bearings are. Surprisingly I believe I will only need bearings and one spindle as it appears one of the corners is broke. They all spin freely now but needed a little persuasion. Same with the tensioner and idler pulley. Those will wait until I see what is put into the unit 1st. I was impressed at how easy the deck comes off and goes on. I love the no tools needed approach.

#11 ·
445 looks great!

#12 ·
Almost done, still waiting on the 3 point and I'm in the process of building a front push/hood/grill guard.

#13 ·
Knowing what I have in this unit and seeing what the hydraulic option is bringing- only 1 listed on Ebay currently, I feel pretty good about the purchase.
Font Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part

Reactions: BOSOX and PA318Guy
#14 ·
Cool machine and hydraulic lift too, I wish my 214 had that feature!

Here is my 214 just for the sake of mentioning it, not trying to hyjack your thread. The 200 series are really solid machines and pretty simple to work on. Keep your update photos coming as you go along! 👍

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

#15 ·
Cool machine and hydraulic lift too, I wish my 214 had that feature!

Here is my 214 just for the sake of mentioning it, not trying to hyjack your thread. The 200 series are really solid machines and pretty simple to work on. Keep your update photos coming as you go along! 👍

View attachment 2527764
No worries, all pics are welcome. Especially of the series I am diving into.

#22 ·
I've got boxes of ones that are chemical resistant. Brake cleaner has no effect.

Reactions: Steve Urquell
#24 ·
Hazard Fraught? :D I like it.

I have a pair of dishwashing gloves I use for my parts washer. Mineral spirits will dry out your hands right quick. They fit tight enough that I can actually where them while working, however, they are NOT tight around the arms, gravity works, and they like to collect odd and strange stuff......

#39 ·
@sparklie , Did you ever try the Nova ll transistorized module on any of your 200 series? I have one ordered and from everything I read it should work.

#40 ·
No I try to keep it as it came from the factory as I can---Are you talking of the one that takes the place of the points? the 200 series have a divorced coil and so it wont work on them. I checked in to it one time and found out this---to use this module it would have to have the coil under the flywheel or that type of coil.

#42 ·
I will document as I go. Once I get through all the little trivial stuff with the engine, I will be disassembling for restoration. Frame and all will be prepped for paint along with a possible motor refresh. I'm not interested in selling or even putting these units into any hard work. Just a collection of fine machines that may get handed down over time.

Reactions: MoJoMowerman
#44 ·
I put a Kirk Engines points saver (called something else now....) on my 200 series tractors. Still uses the points, but, eliminates the condenser. I get a MUCH better spark with this system. I went from a weak, yellowish spark, to a FAT blue spark that SNAPPED. :) The 210 starts at the first bump of the key, regardless of how long it has been sitting. I love 'em.

#50 ·
Reactions: PA318Guy
#59 ·
Been a while since I posted about anything going on with the 212. Today I was able to get out back and tinker a little with it. Changed the plug, coil and condensor (was wired into the positive side of the coil which according to the TM was wrong). Filed the points as they looked new and checked gap. Hooked up the jump pack as I don't have a bettery yet and after a few tries and fuel finally filling the bowl of the new carb, she fired and ran (not great though). Looked into an issue with the governor spring not having any affect on rpms and corrected the issue. Engine runs but does smoke at higher RPMs. I plan on changing the oil as it appears old, dirty and just plain worn out (hoping this may help the smoking- but doubtful). New tires ordered as 3 will not hold air for more than 5 minutes and are completely dry rotted. All forward gears and reverse work as they should, variator needs adjustment and I believe a tension spring, brakes need adjustment and clutch needs adjustment. Best news of the day, the hydraulic lift work flawlessly with no leaks. Next up, battery install and tire replacement so I can get this thing inside and begin the teardown. Found this deck and have been trying to close the deal however it comes with 3 disassembled units and much more hassle than I want to deal with. More to come later..............
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: BOSOX
#60 ·
Getting down to the grunge, tires ordered for the front and back. Two issues revealed while inspecting after pulling the foot/fender pan. Return spring on brake is wrong, wrong, wrong. And the tension spring for the variator is broke. Both items ordered. Next up, a week of spraying with degreaser then a few hours with a pressure washer. I have decided I will be working on this one from the rear to the front.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Agricultural machinery Tool Automotive tire Grass

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Plant Automotive wheel system

Green Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Road surface

Automotive tire Tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Automotive exterior

Wood Road surface Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wood Asphalt Road surface Motor vehicle Gas

#63 · (Edited)
Eye Automotive tire Toilet Plumbing fixture Toilet seat

Plumbing fixture Eye Toilet seat Toilet Automotive tire

Did a little (okay a lot) of wire wheel work on one front wheel. Primed and ready for paint tomorrow after some wet sanding. I'm trying to save these wheels which I believe are original from '78. New bearings ordered and will be installed after paint but before tires. Second wheel should be cleaned and primed before days end hopefully. Pics of front and back of wheel.

#64 ·
Front tires arrived and have been installed on the wheels. Still waiting for the bearings to arrive. Rear tires have arrived however I am still not ready with the wheels to complete the install. Will be using tubes on the rears as I had to do a little welding to repair some issues on one wheel. Hopefully the clean, grind and paint will still look okay without having to replace the wheel.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Product Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

#65 · (Edited)
Another update, spent some time degreasing and pressure washing. Looks like everything came pretty clean. Changing the rear diff gear oil will be next before removing and prepping some items for paint.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Wood Line Bumper Gas Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas

Bumper Asphalt Motor vehicle Road surface Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Crankset

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

#67 ·
The hydraulic option was the only reason I picked this one up. What is even better is although I will overhaul the Kohler, the hydraulics need zero work. It works like a charm.

#69 ·
Just need to finish up the rear wheels and install the front bearings (if they ever arrive). I was hoping to get them all on by the weekend so I can get this thing off jackstands, off my pad out back, and inside before the weather changes.

Reactions: BOSOX
#70 ·
I think the dash will receive a little attention. This one looks like it spent quite a few years outside in the elements. The headlight switch doesn't even budge.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Odometer
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel

#71 ·
Dave, A few years back, I did the panel on my 317 and I'm quite happy with how it came out! Bob

Process: Wash with soap & water, then "CRC Brakleen". Spray 1 coat Rustoleum Universal Satin Black (for plastic). Dip toothpick into bottle of Testor's model paint and place drop of paint onto cardboard. Dip CLEAN pencil eraser into "puddle" and dab a THIN coat onto panel letters/symbols. Use vertical dabbing motion rather than sweeping motions, like brushing. "Awe ****" can be removed with Brakleen while paint is wet. I found 2 thin coats better. A coat of clear...and done!

Attachments
  • Auto part

#72 ·
Dave, A few years back, I did the panel on my 317 and I'm quite happy with how it came out! Bob

Process: Wash with soap & water, then "CRC Brakleen". Spray 1 coat Rustoleum Universal Satin Black (for plastic). Dip toothpick into bottle of Testor's model paint and place drop of paint onto cardboard. Dip CLEAN pencil eraser into "puddle" and dab a THIN coat onto panel letters/symbols. Use vertical dabbing motion rather than sweeping motions, like brushing. "Awe ****" can be removed with Brakleen while paint is wet. I found 2 thin coats better. A coat of clear...and done!

Attachments
  • Auto part
That turned out really nice. I may just take your lead on this one.

Reactions: rwmeyer
#75 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Well, that time has come when the weather will shift and work will need to come inside. Took the 212 and put the front tires on. The rears are temps as I needed to order a couple good wheels before putting the new ones on. The old ones were beyond repair once ground down and rust removed. I used an old set of 24x12x12s I had laying out back with some new tubes as a way to make mobile. Moving was made easy once I got it off the jack stands. I relied on the X570 and the winch powered sleeve hitch as my tow rig. Hooked right into the rear hitch plate on the 212 and allowed for turning and even backing into the winter home. Thankfully I was able to spray some rust convertor on the back frame and drive train. Next I will continue to remove the operators station and tidy that up a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.