My Tractor Forum banner
281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Deck is done, all that remains are a couple decals, installation of the blades and then mount on the 212.
Due to the difference in spindle shafts 7/16" × 1 3/4" bolts must be used in place of the 1 1/4" OEM bolts to attach the blades. The threads originally started at the top of the shaft whereas the replacements start nearly 3/4" down.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Bumper Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Vehicle registration plate Tire
Vehicle Watercraft Yellow Motor vehicle Wood

Reactions: CCMoe and MWalker

·
Super Moderator
43,944 Posts
Deck is done, all that remains are a couple decals, installation of the blades and then mount on the 212.
Due to the difference in spindle shafts 7/16" × 1 3/4" bolts must be used in place of the 1 1/4" OEM bolts to attach the blades. The threads originally started at the top of the shaft whereas the replacements start nearly 3/4" down.
View attachment 2552213 View attachment 2552214 View attachment 2552215
Dave, that looks great! Just as clean as the day it came home from the dealer!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Dave, that looks great! Just as clean as the day it came home from the dealer!
Not one used bearing left. I wish the idler and tensioner bearings were replaceable but they are only available as a pulley assembly. Only good part was they weren't priced to awfully high.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
You can drill out the rivets in the idler and replace with new bolts,the bearing is available,I just grind the heads off so the hole is left as new.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,566 Posts
Yup, here's one I did:
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Wheel Rim

You do have to either take the bearing in to match it, or to measure the i.d. (after taking out any bushing that may be pressed into it), as normally the bearings have a metric i.d., but they can also have a sae i.d., and the laser-etched bearing part number on the side of the bearing may not obviously specify which it is.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Yup, here's one I did:
View attachment 2552270
You do have to either take the bearing in to match it, or to measure the i.d. (after taking out any bushing that may be pressed into it), as normally the bearings have a metric i.d., but they can also have a sae i.d., and the laser-etched bearing part number on the side of the bearing may not obviously specify which it is.
Honestly for the $20 ea. for an OE pulley w/bearing I shouldn't be complaining. Bearing would probably be around $5-6 and not worth my time to drill out the rivets.

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,566 Posts
They are in the $40-$50 cdn (or more) range for me, and then always a shipping wait for me, so I find it faster/more convenient to replace the bearing... The one in the pic is $45US+shipping, and the second one on the deck is $60US...

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
I got the deck on and only lack the drive belt from the pto to the deck before I can give it a go at mowing. Spent the rest of the day chasing down a gremlin that for me was hard to pin point. Unit would start on starting fluid, run for about 30 seconds and act like it was starving for fuel. Try to restart nothing. Pull hose from pump to carb to check flow- no issue. Pull bowl on carb- full. Another shot of starting fluid- nothing. Check voltage at ignition side of coil- 3.6v
Check battery- 12.5v
Cut entire ignition harness out and plumb in new one, issue resolved.
I still can't figure out why the initial shot of starting fluid got the unit running.
Only pics I got today.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Lawn mower

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fantastic job! What are you using for WAX on your machines? They shine better than new ones on the showroom floor!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Primary and secondary drive belts have arrived. I look to have these installed this weekend and the variator adjusted correctly. Then I've got about 4 hours of run time before retorqueing the head and adjusting the valves one final time. View attachment 2548356
Now that is the correct belts----and I must say WOW--And I'm unanimous in this

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Fantastic job! What are you using for WAX on your machines? They shine better than new ones on the showroom floor!
Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. It seems to give a pretty good shine and protection. I've noticed that when up against brush I don't seem to get the scratches left behind as much on the plastic as I used to.

Reactions: tlzkaasen and CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Got a little time in the sun with its big brothers- 445 and X570. No pto to deck belt yet so the 1st mow will need to wait until next week.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Tractor

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
VERY nice crew,I like green n yellow

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Had to get a little after dark peek. Decent pic of the rear lights, however the fronts are so bright the only way to take a pic was from a high angle. Otherwise it was way worse than what's below. Definitely an upgrade from the OEM headlamps and a great addition on the rear which wasn't available at the time.
Atmosphere Sky Automotive lighting Tints and shades Astronomical object

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
My oh my, I've got another one getting ready to follow me home. This happens to be the elusive electric lift model. Will know a little more about the plan for it once it hits my doorstep. Appears to be fairly complete, runs drives and mows as it sits.
Green Motor vehicle Electricity Electrical wiring Gas

Green Gas Engineering Machine Technology

Wheel Tire Lawn mower Motor vehicle Riding mower

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
You da man on 212

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
You da man on 212
It did make it to my house. Runs excellent, electric lift works great, variator works, headlights work, original seat (no tears), ammeter works, electric pto works, only issue I see so far is the deck bearings are shot. 39 inch deck on this one. I am debating on either a good wet sand and buff or a complete disassembly and piece it out on Ebay. I just really hate the idea of of taking a good unit out of service. On the other hand it looks like it may be a great way to fund my next find. The electric lift alone will recoup my investment.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It did make it to my house. Runs excellent, electric lift works great, variator works, headlights work, original seat (no tears), ammeter works, electric pto works, only issue I see so far is the deck bearings are shot. 39 inch deck on this one. I am debating on either a good wet sand and buff or a complete disassembly and piece it out on Ebay. I just really hate the idea of of taking a good unit out of service. On the other hand it looks like it may be a great way to fund my next find. The electric lift alone will recoup my investment.
I'll take it just like it is but I would run the Model# 47=46" mower on it and it would still have lots of power left over. and be glad to get it -- Please don't take apart and sell by the piece---That would be so sad---Your other bunch of Deere are looking good.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
I'll take it just like it is but I would run the Model# 47=46" mower on it and it would still have lots of power left over. and be glad to get it -- Please don't take apart and sell by the piece---That would be so sad---Your other bunch of Deere are looking good.
I've got the freshly rebuilt 47 mower on it now. Going through and replacing belts and a couple pulleys on the belt tensioner (engine side). I'm not parting it out, but I will also not be restoring it. This one will get a thorough cleaning and lubrication then a good polish. All the original patina will stay. I will also probably remove the dash panel and redo it, replace the headlamp and pto switch and call it good. The 39" inch deck will be going to scrap except for a few items that are salvageable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've got the freshly rebuilt 47 mower on it now. Going through and replacing belts and a couple pulleys on the belt tensioner (engine side). I'm not parting it out, but I will also not be restoring it. This one will get a thorough cleaning and lubrication then a good polish. All the original patina will stay. I will also probably remove the dash panel and redo it, replace the headlamp and pto switch and call it good. The 39" inch deck will be going to scrap except for a few items that are salvageable.
I would do the same thing as you are doing--as far as the dash I did mine in place no problem--- I look to see it when you get done--I would put that tractor to work with my other ones. They are so tough.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts