My Tractor Forum banner
261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Spindle and belt guard have been located. Price was more than acceptable.
Plant Trunk Wood Grass Terrestrial plant

Tints and shades Font Artifact Metal Wood

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,457 Posts
Looking good--and the light shines on the ones that look for it-

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Not much done this weekend but I was able to complete 2 spindles and finish up a few of the mounting brackets for the deck. Still need to press the bearing out of the jack sheave pulley and finish the 3rd spindle once the used one arrives. I also did a little prep on the top side of the deck and although there are no holes the pitting that has taking place in the area under the belt guard is fairly extensive. I will be looking into different options on smoothing/repairing over the next few days. I also picked up a solution for the stiff steering, hope it works as designed.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

Rectangle Font Auto part Household hardware Wood

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Last spindle assembly arrived today along with the belt guard. Luckily the spindle and bearings pressed out with zero issues. Belt guard will need a little love but overall I will not complain because it's better than most I have located for 1/8th the price. Final assembly of the spindle will take place tomorrow once the paint dries.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Metal

Wood Motor vehicle Amber Automotive exterior Gas

Tool Bicycle part Paint Triangle Wood

Audio equipment Headgear Gas Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting

·
Three of my friends
9,573 Posts
Your are nearing hanging a done flag on that baby,

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Your are nearing hanging a done flag on that baby,
I've got most if not all the bolt on deck stuff done and ready to bolt back on. Including all brackets, hardware, springs, clips, hangers etc. The actual deck and guard will take me some time as I'm not what I consider a body man at all. Also still fighting a fuel issue- I think I may have it diagnosed down to a non-vented gas cap that was listed as a correct replacement. I may have to bite the bullet and fork over $50 for OE Deere 💲💲💲

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Been a minute since I posted anything on the 212. Deck work is coming along a slower than expected. I did get the bearing changed out in the jack sheave and have the belt guard ready for some color. One bad area around a mounting hole will be rectified with a piece of 1" x 6" strap. Couple before and current pics to mark progress. Still waiting for some decent weather to work outside on the main deck. All parts and pieces are 100% and ready to be installed on the deck, just need to get it done.
Audio equipment Circle Automotive wheel system Carbon Wood

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Metal
Wood Motor vehicle Amber Automotive exterior Gas
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rectangle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
43,304 Posts
Been a minute since I posted anything on the 212. Deck work is coming along a slower than expected. I did get the bearing changed out in the jack sheave and have the belt guard ready for some color. One bad area around a mounting hole will be rectified with a piece of 1" x 6" strap. Couple before and current pics to mark progress. Still waiting for some decent weather to work outside on the main deck. All parts and pieces are 100% and ready to be installed on the deck, just need to get it done. View attachment 2551432
View attachment 2551431 View attachment 2551434 View attachment 2551435 View attachment 2551436
View attachment 2551430
Always enjoy watching restorations coming together, the prep work makes a ton of difference and you're doing some nice prep work!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Always enjoy watching restorations coming together, the prep work makes a ton of difference and you're doing some nice prep work!
This deck was beat up pretty bad. Wish I could get it a little better but it will need to do. Every time I tried to straighten a dent another formed. What's funny is they are really only noticeable from the bottom side.

·
Super Moderator
43,304 Posts
This deck was beat up pretty bad. Wish I could get it a little better but it will need to do. Every time I tried to straighten a dent another formed. What's funny is they are really only noticeable from the bottom side.
The 50" deck I'm doing right now is probably similar, they really slow you down most of the time, and the worst part is that painting underneath is just for show, it isn't going to last.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Banned
1,325 Posts
I completely re-stored one of the 212's that had small trees growing up into the frame and grapevines.
Previously people had installed wrong drive belts, wrong deck parts and they had installed wrong non-ballast type ignition coil that was burning up the points I got most of the parts I needed from flea bay. I now have it all operational. It's been ready for paint for couple years. Really runs and cuts good.

·
Three of my friends
9,573 Posts
I had a 216 that I really liked,did a small restoration on it and used up it a lot,had a tiller that it handled great,I put a speed up pulley on the deck,sounded like a z turn mower running.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Got a little yeller thrown on tonight. Belt guard and all bolt ons are now 100%. All that remains is the deck shell. Hopefully we get some good weather this weekend so I can finish it up and move on.
Yellow Gadget Communication Device Recreation Gas

Motor vehicle Line Automotive exterior Gas Font
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Three of my friends
9,573 Posts
It yellow all right,make on feel like they can do anything after all the sanding and painting.looks great

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 · (Edited)
All I can say at this point is thank goodness this gets mounted under the tractor. Looks like I will be keeping an eye out for a deck that is actually in better shape. At least there were no holes and the metal where the most pitting took place was thick and still very strong. I could have used filler and/or putty but I wasn't going to take the time if when in my head I am ultimately going to replace the shell. All the bolts ons will transfer when needed very easily. 24 hours drying time then I will start assembly.
Plant Leaf Yellow Automotive lighting Grass

Motor vehicle Wood Yellow Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive exterior

Plant Yellow Hood Motor vehicle Insect
Water Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grass Gas

Insect Motor vehicle Grass Pollinator Amphibian

Motor vehicle Sculpture Wood Grass Art

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grass

Paint Wood Motor vehicle Art Tire

Road surface Asphalt Grass Gas Art

Wood Rectangle Gas Font Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
No pics but I did identify another mess up on my behalf. When putting the pulleys back on the rebuilt spindles I had them on upside down. This was very noticeable when they did not align with the idler pulley, tensioner pulley and lower jack sheave. No harm, no foul- 5 minutes and all corrected. Future reference, the side of the pulley with the built in spacer faces up. 😉

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have not been on this forum much for a while so I have some catching up to do. I will be following your progress. I bought my 212 new in 1987 the year i bought my home and needed something larger than a much mower. Keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I have not been on this forum much for a while so I have some catching up to do. I will be following your progress. I bought my 212 new in 1987 the year i bought my home and needed something larger than a much mower. Keep up the good work
I'm just about ready to wrap this one up. May try and mow with it once or twice, but will probably just stay in the stable awaiting the estate sale when I'm gone. 😉

261 - 280 of 305 Posts