My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Once I work through what I believe to be a simple problem, I will be taking this one apart piece by piece. When I pulled the deck, I notice some broken springs and some other items needing addressed. It will need pressure washed a couple more times as the tin starts coming off. I can't stand to put a wrench on anything with grease, especially if I have the time to clean it 1st.
Congrats on the purchase. I'm the same way. So much faster and easier to not have to scrape every single part as you go and risk a chunk of grunge falling into the engine or differential, or hydraulic lines and ports.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
When you are cleaning stuff with solvents if you get a pair of thicker gloves they won't swell up like the nitrile box gloves. I have a couple pair that look like women's dish washing gloves and they have saved me hundreds of pairs of thin gloves.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Mine were individually packed in a bag from Hazard Fraught tools.

• Haha

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Hazard Fraught? :D I like it.

I have a pair of dishwashing gloves I use for my parts washer. Mineral spirits will dry out your hands right quick. They fit tight enough that I can actually where them while working, however, they are NOT tight around the arms, gravity works, and they like to collect odd and strange stuff......
That's not my name for them. Google image search it and laugh at the fake Hazard Fraught ad. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
We used to call it Hardly Safe. Although, you can't beat some of the prices on one time use items.
I use them all the time. I have a couple of 4.5" electric grinders that have earned their keep well over their cost. Surprised the heck out of me.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I have quite a few items that have been purchased there. Mostly flap disks, cutoff wheels, a couple 4 1/2 angle grinders (only one works now) and some other stuff. Nothing wrong with saving some cash.
I used several of their air tools in the trailer shops. The super speed drills (10,000rpms) were awesome for aluminum panels and the air recip saw was incredible for cutting foam blocks out of reefer trailers. They were surprisingly durable.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
With it being as cold as it today and not much room inside to do anything big, I decided to tackle the grill. Wow, it really takes some time straightening and trying to reshape one of these flimsy pieces of metal. Easier to buy a replacement but I don't really want to exceed the actual value of the unit by too much by the time I'm done. Time is free. Now, I would like a little advise:
Green or Black? I'm kinda liking the idea of green as I've seen a few and it looks really good. Black is standard and can't go wrong with original. Yellow is a definite NO.

One more thing- Anyone have a proper grill emblem for a '78?
Funny. I was looking at my 3240 grille earlier when I checked my wellhouse temp thinking I needed to do the same--straighten and paint. I like to do things that make me smile when I look at it so painting it green would be my choice if that's what I thought looked good.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Now you're coming around there!!! 🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜
Hey I'm not prejudiced. There are green tractors I'd be proud to own.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: CCMoe and PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Well, it's green. Definitely doesn't look new but then again this thing is 44 years old. Still need to find a reasonably priced medallion. View attachment 2534118
Looks good. I've noticed that all those small imperfections stick out when you are hyper-focused on them--especially after paint. After a couple months on the GT you say "What was that I was so worried about?" while you no longer notice it

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Dave I heat stripped my 3205. It was much easier than chemical stripping or sanding. This hitch is thick steel and took much longer than the body panels which bubbled with a couple waves of the wand.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Looks great Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Looks great Dave. (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts