My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
It’s looking AWSOME,I never use the high number grit between coats,400 works great,if you bet it too slick the last could peel off,
You are near through with the paint but next time buy one can of John Deere Green,they use a special spray nozzle that sprays out in a long pattern,eliminates over spray,one can and you will have the nozzle to use on other cans if the top is the same

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
That’s all I ever use,good stuff and if you have a repair that paint will match.

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
If you ever have another project ,but a low volume paint gun from harbor freight,it only use 25 psi and don’t overspray,on could nearly spray without a mask,,NEARLY,then you could us jd paint and any thinner,

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Looking great,I used seat springs off the F525 to go under the seat spring,it worked great,kept the seat spring from bottoming out.

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
The 216 shakes worse than any of the others

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
I painted the seat green on my 216,once you start restoring one of these it’s kinda standard procedure to keep the one would never get back the money it costs to do what u r doing to the 212,looking great.
Did you assure the variator was free to npmove on the large chrome pipe.

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
I’ve never seen one rusted,it must have been quality chrome

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Don't know why I am using s spray gun when a rattle can give you results like that.
I does look great but over time the ui rays are tougher on spray can paint than on paint sprayed vis spray guns and with spray guns you get probably twice the paint for 1/3 the cost

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
That bad boy is purty ,my 216 was nice when I finished but I worked it pretty hard with the tiller and mower and of course it was not tooo shined after a few years

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Hone job looks good,I like mine closer to 45 deg but yours will do well,your doing an AWSOME job.👍👍👍👍

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Dang it looks like it just cam out of kohler👍
don’t forget to retorque the head after it runs a few heat cycles,I think there is a timeframe for it.

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
What brand of carb did you get,with the hood closed you will never see the pitting BUT if you want to repair it,use some spot filler and it will be gone👍

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
All mine had Walbro,they run good but after a few years the seemed to just have air leaks and could never adjust it correctly

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Man I hate it when I’m near done with a project and something upsets the Appel cart,on one of my 318s,I was near done and was pulling the pto off,somehow I neglected to remove the 3 adjust nuts,had my puller on cause I could not pull it off by hand,just kept cranking the puller,warped the clutch so bad it cost 160$ to replace🤬🤬🤬

• Wow

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
When you do your spindles,I discovered that if you have to press the bearings on the spindles they don’t really line up with the balls and inner race and outer race,I dress mine down till the bearing slides over the spindle fairly east,the sleeve in supine keeps the inner seal tight and the hub and snap ring keeps the outer one in place.
I used to rebuild spindles on Bridgeport mills and we never put bearis on with a press.

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
That belt is pita, I actually put a bend in the outside side of the pulley to allow the width of the belt to go on the pullley while turning to pulley by hand

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Went out early today and finished up installing the secondary drive belt. Bone head mistake yesterday caused me to pull the pto pulley once again and move the primary drive belt further back on the crank pulley where it belongs. The design of the differential sheave is extremely silly as they could have used a pulley 1/4" smaller in diameter with a shorter belt to eliminate the need to remove it for belt install, but whatever. I also figured while I was waiting on the replacement variator handle to arrive, I would pull the muffler back off and start on a fiberglass heat wrap. I still can't believe the heat generated on the metal side panel. If all goes as planned she should be riding tall in the grass next weekend. 🤞🤞 View attachment 2548534
Racers us a ceramic covering for their exhsust

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
Amazon has it

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
The bottom bearing is held by a clip,you got lucky not pulling that out first,I’ve seen the bottom of the spindle broken off from not removing the ring first,don’t ask me how I know🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Vigo and dblomquist

·
Three of my friends
9,587 Posts
It comes out after the round piece is removed,what happens is the shaft sticks on the lower bearing and people press it out and with the ring still in,it breaks the hub,if you remove the round piece,the shaft can be driver out the top and using a punch in the hole in the shaft there’s no danger of damaging the threads on the shaft.

Reactions: Vigo and PA318Guy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts