Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Green Automotive tire Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Green Automotive lighting Hood Fluid

Picked up a '78 212 in what I would call decent shape. Wanted to start a thread and document the progress as it goes forward. Here she sits after a good pressure wash and before any work is performed. 1st up, carburetor and air filter housing are ordered. Engine runs but issues with the float necessitated replacement. Once installed and tuned the next up will be deck, fender/footrest pan and most likely driver console removal. My goal on this one is to use/repair as many original parts as possible since the unit is fairly complete as it sits.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
That one looks to be eminently saveable. Surface rust, and not that much of it. They hydraulic lift is good for the mower deck, snowblower, and rear tiller, should you get one. :D These tractors are tanks. Take care of it, and it'll last forever. :D

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just a few more
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Plant Tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Plant Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

Good find there---Have u had any of the JD 200 series tractors before? If so what---
1st 200 series but I have always admired them. Just finished a 445. Looking for this one to take up some time over the winter.

Reactions: MoJoMowerman

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That one looks to be eminently saveable. Surface rust, and not that much of it. They hydraulic lift is good for the mower deck, snowblower, and rear tiller, should you get one. :D These tractors are tanks. Take care of it, and it'll last forever. :D
The hydraulic lift was the deciding factor in me taking a chance on this one vs. another one. Both had limited rust, this one the deck needs more work but may not even come into play. It will be the last piece of the puzzle I tackle merely because I really have no need for another "mower".

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Yeah, that was why I sold my 216..... Took to long to mow with it. (3 acres taking 6 to 8 hours.....) and it beat the crap out of me while doing so. My yard is kinda rough. :D Replaced it with a gravely GMT 9000, with a 72 inch deck. My mowing time dropped to about 2 and a half hours.... Sold all the Gravely stuff I had, and replaced it with an x485. About thee hours to mow the yard, but, it is a much more comfortable and reliable tractor. I wanted hydraulics, power steering, and a hydrostatic trans. I would love a bigger deck, but, gotta get into the 2xxx series tractors for anything bigger than 62".... More money than I wanna spend. :D My wife has a 210 that she uses for gardening, and hauling stuff around the yard. :D She loves that little tractor.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that was why I sold my 216..... Took to long to mow with it. (3 acres taking 6 to 8 hours.....) and it beat the crap out of me while doing so. My yard is kinda rough. :D Replaced it with a gravely GMT 9000, with a 72 inch deck. My mowing time dropped to about 2 and a half hours.... Sold all the Gravely stuff I had, and replaced it with an x485. About thee hours to mow the yard, but, it is a much more comfortable and reliable tractor. I wanted hydraulics, power steering, and a hydrostatic trans. I would love a bigger deck, but, gotta get into the 2xxx series tractors for anything bigger than 62".... More money than I wanna spend. :D My wife has a 210 that she uses for gardening, and hauling stuff around the yard. :D She loves that little tractor.
This one will.most likely be used for light duty stuff. A yard toter or to pull a sweeper. I've got an x570 with 30 hours on it to mow and a 445 for anything heavy. Once this one is done I will be looking for a 100 series (as in 110) not a box store model, and most likely a 318. These just give me something to do in my down time, I find it relaxing. Here is my 445 I'm almost done with.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Green

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: B440 and mopar65pa

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks great! Hopefully (or not) this winter project isn't completed before winter 😆

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great! Hopefully (or not) this winter project isn't completed before winter 😆
I'm pretty sure this one will not be. I still have a few more things on the 445 I want to finish up but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up. I did however already pull the deck so I could get an idea of how bad the bearings are. Surprisingly I believe I will only need bearings and one spindle as it appears one of the corners is broke. They all spin freely now but needed a little persuasion. Same with the tensioner and idler pulley. Those will wait until I see what is put into the unit 1st. I was impressed at how easy the deck comes off and goes on. I love the no tools needed approach.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This one will.most likely be used for light duty stuff. A yard toter or to pull a sweeper. I've got an x570 with 30 hours on it to mow and a 445 for anything heavy. Once this one is done I will be looking for a 100 series (as in 110) not a box store model, and most likely a 318. These just give me something to do in my down time, I find it relaxing. Here is my 445 I'm almost done with. View attachment 2527711
View attachment 2527710
why I was asking about the 200 series was because I have 5 of them--210 -2x212's 214 and a 216--
99% of all parts and panels will interchange on these 200 series---Only thing is some parts on the 216's engine will not interchange--I know the head has a extra bolt on them-- I enjoy working on them ---also I have a tiller on the 216 and a mower on 2x 212's i work them hard and they just keep on keeping on. you got that 445 looking great.

·
Parts collector
4,631 Posts
445 looks great!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Knowing what I have in this unit and seeing what the hydraulic option is bringing- only 1 listed on Ebay currently, I feel pretty good about the purchase.
Font Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part

Reactions: BOSOX and PA318Guy

·
Administrator
13,145 Posts
Cool machine and hydraulic lift too, I wish my 214 had that feature!

Here is my 214 just for the sake of mentioning it, not trying to hyjack your thread. The 200 series are really solid machines and pretty simple to work on. Keep your update photos coming as you go along! 👍

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool machine and hydraulic lift too, I wish my 214 had that feature!

Here is my 214 just for the sake of mentioning it, not trying to hyjack your thread. The 200 series are really solid machines and pretty simple to work on. Keep your update photos coming as you go along! 👍

View attachment 2527764
No worries, all pics are welcome. Especially of the series I am diving into.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Almost 600 bucks for the hydraulic lift stuff??? Holy smokes........ I sold a 214 with a bad trans and hydraulics for 250 bucks..... (but, that's been more that couple years ago...... :D)

·
Administrator
13,145 Posts
No worries, all pics are welcome. Especially of the series I am diving into.
I've had mine in pieces in a corner of my garage shop for a long time, I finally got it moving this past year. Almost looking forward to plowing some snow to break in the rebuilt engine. lol

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had mine in pieces in a corner of my garage shop for a long time, I finally got it moving this past year. Almost looking forward to plowing some snow to break in the rebuilt engine. lol
Once I work through what I believe to be a simple problem, I will be taking this one apart piece by piece. When I pulled the deck, I notice some broken springs and some other items needing addressed. It will need pressure washed a couple more times as the tin starts coming off. I can't stand to put a wrench on anything with grease, especially if I have the time to clean it 1st.

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Once I work through what I believe to be a simple problem, I will be taking this one apart piece by piece. When I pulled the deck, I notice some broken springs and some other items needing addressed. It will need pressure washed a couple more times as the tin starts coming off. I can't stand to put a wrench on anything with grease, especially if I have the time to clean it 1st.
Congrats on the purchase. I'm the same way. So much faster and easier to not have to scrape every single part as you go and risk a chunk of grunge falling into the engine or differential, or hydraulic lines and ports.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Congrats on the purchase. I'm the same way. So much faster and easier to not have to scrape every single part as you go and risk a chunk of grunge falling into the engine or differential, or hydraulic lines and ports.
Or my eyes!!!!! Besides I've got this thing with my hands that has been an issue for about 10 or so years where I can't stand the feel of grease, oil or a can or bottle sweating. I wear gloves most of the time and changing them every time I pick something up gets very costly.

Reactions: Steve Urquell
1 - 20 of 99 Posts