My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And awaaaay we go! Again. As some know, I recently picked up this '62 Willys p/u. Bought it on the BaT auction site, and had it shipped from the great state of North Carolina. The truck visually is a classic 30 footer, paint/finish wise. Fortunately, it was well represented in the auction pics and there were no real surprises. The reason I liked this particular truck was the engine, features and chassis/body integrity. The engine is the L head, 6-226, Continental straight six "Super Hurricane". I believe as '62 was the last year of production, that this rated @ 115hp and 190 fpt. IMO, the engine is a legend. And this one purrs. The features are, this is a FWD version, with the very desirable Warn over-drive. You can split shift it with the stock 3spd. for a total of 6 spds. or use OD, as I mostly have, as an effective 4th gear on the highway, or when breaking 35 or 40mph. It is something I wouldn't want to live without. Lastly, the tin/steel on this one is super solid all around. Very little filler, no rot/holes etc. anywhere. It lived in SoCal the vast majority of it's life. In short, close up aesthetics aside, this puppy has great bones. Appearance is overrated anyway :tango_face_grin:

This weekend I did a pretty thorough going over, and assessed things. Made a punch list. Lots of little things. Mostly easy, cheap fixes.

At 30 feet.

willys1.jpg

Mechanically, the only thing that needed immediate attention was the brakes, and the driver's front hub had a fair amount of end play. The brakes didn't firm up until 3/4's to the floor. Upon inspection the master cylinder was basically devoid of fluid. Several toppings and and three rounds of old school bleeding led to nice, firm brake pressure a little north of halfway. And happy to report.....no leaks.

The hub end play was simply poor installation of the spindle jam nuts. Tightened about a turn and a half, locked together, fixed. This however led us to pull both hubs and inspect the inners and the brakes themselves, as we weren't real confident in the prior work. Checked out well, buttoned up. Wish they all worked out that well.

Aesthetically, I thought we'd spruce up the engine and bay area. I want to see as much motor as I can. Needs uncluttering, cleaning, wires/cables re-routed and shortened.

Here's what we got. Way too much spaghetti. Shorten, and reroute, wiring to make a cleaner look. Too many colors. Some orange, not all, is going.

wp26.jpg

Other issues.

It's dirty. Here's a fender well with spot I cleaned. This finish is actually pretty nice. Time to see it again.

wp2.jpg

This is just wrong in so many ways. Nuff said.

wp22.jpg

And now for the one that's really driving me crazy. The whole alternator was attached by a single 1/4" bolt to the engine. And the alternator was super sloppy in the bracket. This was the prior solution.........a slab of orange steel bolted to the head. Ummm, bye-bye.

wp28.jpg

More pics and progress coming.

·
Administrator
4,939 Posts
Cool truck.....I watch the TV show Mountain Men. One of them has a Jeep truck like that, would love to find something like that just to putt around in.
The alternator looks like a GM 1 wire, great alternator. It just needs a stronger mount on the bottom and you could lose that diagonal piece.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
Signing on for this one also Ellis. Nice find and I'm confident you will do it justice

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Sweet Ellis! Ready with popcorn to see the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,870 Posts
Looks like a nice project and not too much to get it right. Will be following.

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
You, and Mike are off to a great start. It seems like you got the brake situation under control in no time. The other things you mentioned seem like they are things that you will also correct quickly.

It will be a lot of fun driving it around, even for your wife. Lots of fall activities coming up that you could drive it to.., early, before the crowds show up.

·
2,678 Posts
My brother and I chipped in and bought our first car in 1967...it was a 1960 CJ3a...we both learned a lot about basic automotive work...you could fix anything on it with a screwdriver, an adjustable crescent wrench and a pair of water pump pliers ( now called channel locks)...
I would love to see more pictures as you go forward with it...I would love to get another Willys...either an Overland or a Jeepster....but I did something about 30 years ago that prevents me from being able to do that now...I got married

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Gotta love it !

I had a '55 p/u identical but red. Drove it to high school and used to park it in with all the guys rods. To me it was the coolest vehicle there. For some reason I brush painted it dark blue later on.

Same flat head 6 and FWD, had Warn Hubs and bench seat.

Converted it from 6v to 12 using the generator from a '55 Chev and a Dodge ballast resistor. The starter was never an issue on 12v.

Installed the complete heater assembly from the '55 Chev Belair but the vaccum wipers were always a bummer.

Don't even know if I have any pics as that was almost before cameras.

Wish I still had it ! Please keep the pics coming as I can't get enough of it.

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool truck.....I watch the TV show Mountain Men. One of them has a Jeep truck like that, would love to find something like that just to putt around in.
The alternator looks like a GM 1 wire, great alternator. It just needs a stronger mount on the bottom and you could lose that diagonal piece.
New mount is in the works. It is indeed a GM alternator.

Signing on for this one also Ellis. Nice find and I'm confident you will do it justice
Sweet Ellis! Ready with popcorn to see the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Climbing aboard the next Ellis thread! Should be another good one!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Looks like a nice project and not too much to get it right. Will be following.
That’ll be a fun driver for you! Glad ya got it and all the best with it. :)
Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear you're come along for the ride!

You, and Mike are off to a great start. It seems like you got the brake situation under control in no time. The other things you mentioned seem like they are things that you will also correct quickly.

It will be a lot of fun driving it around, even for your wife. Lots of fall activities coming up that you could drive it to.., early, before the crowds show up.
Can't wait. Should be back in action by this weekend.

My brother and I chipped in and bought our first car in 1967...it was a 1960 CJ3a...we both learned a lot about basic automotive work...you could fix anything on it with a screwdriver, an adjustable crescent wrench and a pair of water pump pliers ( now called channel locks)...
I would love to see more pictures as you go forward with it...I would love to get another Willys...either an Overland or a Jeepster....but I did something about 30 years ago that prevents me from being able to do that now...I got married
Gotta love it !

I had a '55 p/u identical but red. Drove it to high school and used to park it in with all the guys rods. To me it was the coolest vehicle there. For some reason I brush painted it dark blue later on.

Same flat head 6 and FWD, had Warn Hubs and bench seat.

Converted it from 6v to 12 using the generator from a '55 Chev and a Dodge ballast resistor. The starter was never an issue on 12v.

Installed the complete heater assembly from the '55 Chev Belair but the vaccum wipers were always a bummer.

Don't even know if I have any pics as that was almost before cameras.

Wish I still had it ! Please keep the pics coming as I can't get enough of it.
Thanks Mark and Larry. Even in the few times we've had it out, everyone, it would seem, is stirred to memories, or thumbs upping, waving or just plain smiling. I've had a couple cool rides, but none ever got this level of reaction.

You know guys, I'm the last guy to encourage folks to chase a dream and buy something really cool that the day they get it, they'll probably remember it as the happiest day of their life, because hey, life's short, and you can buy those quonset garages for like 180 bucks on Amazon if you didn't have enough storage for it, but as I said it's just not something I do.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Ellis, we had a used car dealer's licence in the family for years so I have bought, driven and then resold a lot of different vehicles over the years.

My '55 Willy's Pick Up was without a doubt, and still is my most favorite vehicle of all time.... and I never even got lucky in it.:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Those old Continental straight six engines are tough, the fours were darn good as well and will run forever if given any care at all. Many, many pieces of our old construction equipment had those engines, I do not think there is any old engine anywhere that is as smooth at all rpm's as the old Continentals.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think it was a 1962 Willys Pickup that my Dad had. It was at least an early 60's model. We lived in NY at the time and he had an 8 foot plow on it. He used it to make extra cash in the winter time. It was a good truck. He had a 56 Willys Jeep with a 6 foot plow before that one. That plow had a manual hydraulic system and I was the pumper!:tango_face_surprise I was so glad when he got the '62 because that had an electric pump for the plow! :tango_face_smile:

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
I have been waiting for this thread to appear. I'm following your progress, Ellis. :tango_face_smile_bi
Nice old Willys. There was a huge auction up here this weekend which included many classic and vintage cars. I didn't go because I was afraid I'd do something rash. :tango_face_crying:

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Sweet looking truck.
My vote would be to loose the alternator and go back to the correct generator.
I wish I had an overdrive on mine but the PTO is occupying that spot on the back of the transfer case.
Enjoy the ride.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,232 Posts
subed in..

·
4K Poster and climbing!!!
4,156 Posts
Well well, here it is. Thanks for linking me over Ellis. That was neat.

What a great start. I think you may have just inspired a handful of Willys purchases.

Golly look already up to post #20 while i was writing to Sheldon on another thread.

And away we go . . . . . . . . .

1 - 20 of 203 Posts