My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to thank SonnyT for the welcome and the links which made it possible for me to post my pic's.
I bought this machine for $300.00 and have spent ~ $100.00 on parts so far. The tractor is running and the blower works now. This forum has been a huge help so far. I was able to get the tractor running on my own, but I would never have figured out the belt routings without the information from this site. I'm sure I will need a lot more assistance as this project moves forward. I will be taking a break from this project today as the wife has some honey-do's I need to attend to (if I know what's good for me).

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
WOW!! Rusty has a cousin :trink39:
All the pics look like the ones I posted. (Only yours is in better shape! )
Guess they all rusted in the same places, I thought your blower was new! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Nice project JDrookie :fing32: :MTF_wel: too!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

Any of this look familiar ??

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

But eventually they look like this :praying::praying::praying:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the welcome.
There is no way mine will look as good as yours KATT. Your painting skills are way above my ability. My main concern for this year is to have a functioning machine so I don't have to scoop tons of snow like we have had the last 2 winters.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Thanks!:thanku: but don't forget it's not a contest, it's how we can help each other, and enjoy the results. You'll be surprised how well you can do with rattlecans.
Keep going and keep the pics coming, ( never too many for KATT ) :thThumbsU

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been awhile, but I finally have the JD back together and ready for snow.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Nice job - you'll be :bananapow when the snow flies :fing32: If you don't have the rear ballast weights you may want to track a pair down or rig something up. The steering is a bit tough without them. Unfortunately they're no longer available and a bit pricey in resale.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been thinking about making some weights. I can get some 1"x8"x17" pieces of steel from work. I will have to measure and drill some mounting holes. The steering is a little stiff, but not unmanageable. Other than the steering issue, will I have enough traction without the weights?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Other than the steering issue, will I have enough traction without the weights?
It may depend on your PHF: Personal Heft Factor. You'll see some posts from lighter guys saying they don't have enough traction and some posts from guys who weigh 250 saying they have plenty of traction. So your butt becomes part of the equation. When I plowed with my 160 and 180 I had no weights and never had a job I couldn't finish. I've always had weight with the blower so I don't know how it works without them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you need the tech manual for that thing at some point pm me and i'll send it to you.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
:ROF My PHF = 130. Is that enough without ballast weights?
Um... NOPE! Sorry man... I THINK I'm the lighter guy Herd is referring to who complains about traction problems (at least with my tractor, anyway...). MY PHF is somewhat higher than yours (by at least one rear weight, possibly 1.5), AND I got a chunk of pig iron strapped to the back of my 160 with c-clamps, and I STILL spin out... Chains and all (4 link chains I think, tho...)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
looks like a nice little project! I love resto's :)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts