My Tractor Forum banner

Procdure needed

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  schmism 
#1 ·
What is the procedure for setting an implement clutch? I think my mower clutch may be slipping.

BUD

#4 ·
Yes, it's a great tool. And the spring scale has a brass looking body, the "wrench" is well made. We have some family heirloom tools on the mantel like a branding iron & some 100+ year old weaving loom parts. After the 1st time I used this tool set, my wife thought they were classic enough looking that she keeps it on the mantel too!

#6 ·
Adjusting GRAVELY implement safety clutches can be a bit of an art & is somewhat dependant on both the tractor/implement AND the user's taste. For years GRAVELY instructed L owners to adjust w/the set up helixhippie recommends, to "30-36 lbs" on the scale.

Stubebaker era Com 10 instructions say to use "a feeler gauge" & set the gap between clutch spring coils at ".025-inch" & if it slips reduce to ".020-inch".

However I've seen other specs from GRAVELY. For instance the Com 40" deck instructions say to adjust clutch to "45-50 ft. lbs." & other "feeler gauge" gaps have been recommended.

I'd suggest a lighter clutch setting for a sickle bar & heavier setting for a 50" deck, instead of a One Size Fits All approach. How you set a rototiller or snow blower may be influenced by how rocky your terrain is. The tighter you make the safety clutch the tighter the jam is going to be & the greater the risk of breaking something.

Keep in mind differences in implements. Old Square Chute snowblowers can be very dangerous, later enclosed auger snowblowers have additional safety cltuches in the reel.

These clutches also have a nasty habit of sticking solid after decades of being compressed. Thus, the scale & lever adjustment provides proof the clutch will slip, whereas the feeler gauge method does not. Its a good idea to take an old clutch apart, inspect & reassemble w/oil, for the best assurance. If one has been "slipping" frequently during regular use the friction disc might be toast.

#7 ·
Very good advice! I use the procedure that Banger outlines and then check it with the tool set that Helix linked you to. It takes a bit longer but it works, and I don't have to worry about bad clutches or sticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.