My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Samsung "smart" TV. Has what is called a Smart Hub, where you can connect to Netflix, Pandora, etc... You need to connect the TV to the household network (wireles). Not the first time it's lost it's network connection but usually you just have to go thru the steps to reconnect. Now, tho, I hit network settings and it gives me an option to connect. I click on that and for a instant the box comes up but then goes away and cannot connect to the network. I tried resetting the TV but didn't help. I am going to try to unplug it for overnight and see if that will let me set it up.

Wonder if anyone has had something similar happen. I could always go get a network cable and wire the TV but prefer not doing it that way if possible. Or, a new TV I suppose.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Judging solely from the quick Duck Duck Go search, this is a fairly common problem with Samsung TV's and many weren't happy with the company response. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
5,542 Posts
That's odd. I got a new 58" RCA Smart TV on a boxing day sale. It has lost the internet connection once but connected right back up when I did the password etc.
Have you tried rebooting your modem?
I do have an issue with my RCA too.....If I want to stream the Disney site or something that is not on the smart TV, I hook it to my laptop with an HDMI cable. Trouble is, there is a picture, but no audio. I hook to my old Samsung and audio works fine. Been all through the settings, but there is nothing about audio input.
Guess these buggers aren't as smart as they are supposed to be.

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree this is an inherent problem with Samsung. Does this about 2 or 3 times a year and can never figure out how to make it work. Always something different helps out. Think it is just of a vintage that my WiFi modem is further advanced than the TV. I'm at the point right now where it says I need to disable to 5g on my modem and let the tv find only the 2.5.

Maybe unplug everything, including the modem, and let everything reboot.....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Well, you could unplug everything and just leave it like that. I'm going on 10 years now without even owning a TV and don't miss it or the programming at all. Many other things to do.

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
... Think it is just of a vintage that my WiFi modem is further advanced than the TV. I'm at the point right now where it says I need to disable to 5g on my modem and let the tv find only the 2.5.

Maybe unplug everything, including the modem, and let everything reboot.....
Along with not being able to see 5G wifi another thing we are seeing is some of the older sets the apps no longer work. Netflix and others have since made security upgrades and the older tvs can no longer run the newest apps to get logged into the service. One option people are doing is getting a new cheap wifi enabled dvd player with the apps on it and letting it handle viewing them. Another thought on the wired LAN connection, if it is a location that will be difficult to run a wire you could get a wifi extender with a LAN jack on it. You put it by the TV, get it on your network and then run a short cable from it up to the TV. Thing is though that I have one of those and had another before it and sometimes they disconnect themselves (once every month or two) and you end up needing to reboot the whole system (including your cable or phone modem) to get them to lock back in.

Just to note, couple places I have ran into issues with 5g connections on TV's. 5G is faster then 2.4G but the transmission range (distance) is less then 2.4G. So even if the tv is new enough to see 5G you still might have intermittent loss of signal or weak signal causing slower speeds and still be better using 2.4G.

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is an older set, approx 2012. But, nothing has changed in the last 6 mos from when it was all connected wireless before. What I find frustrating is when I bring up Network Settings, the box opens up like normal. Says search for wireless signals. I click that button and it immediately flashes a box like it's going to work for maybe 1/4 second then it goes away. We can get about everything via the cable box that we can get with the wifi, but it's drawn a line in the sand and is daring me to cross it. And it's personal now!!!

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
Brad, any chance that the TV somehow got locked out of the router?

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brad, any chance that the TV somehow got locked out of the router?
Don't think so, but could be. Not sure how that would happen.

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
You can check to see if the TV has router access. Log into your router by typing 192.168.2.1 in the address bar. Unless you've changed it, Username should be "Admin". The standard password is "password". Go to Attached Devices/Access Control. There you can see which devices are connected and change their status. I have a Netgear router. Your router may be slightly different but should have the same basic setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts