My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 John Deere LX172 with a 14hp kawasaki engine. It has never given me any trouble until now. It was running fine the last time I was using it, but next time I tried to start it up, it wouldn't run. There was no spark so I replaced the coil and the igniter, but still there was no spark. I have continuity on the wire from the switch to the igniter but no voltage. Is the switch my problem or is it something else? Please help, thank you.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
If the ignitor is grounded out you may have a problem with the safety circuitry. If the PTO switch is on and the seat switch reads that you are off the seat it will kill the spark to the motor. The testing protocol would require that I tell you how to bypass the safety circuits which I can't do by forum rules. But a wiring diagram is probably necessary for you to chase this down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have previously bypassed the safety circuit to the seat. Should I have voltage coming from the switch going to the igniter? When switched to the on postition I have voltage on every lead except the one that goes to the igniter. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
take the ground wire off the coil long enough to turn the engine over and see if it has fire on the plug without being grounded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts