My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem last night with my new gator blades. The "tines"(?) that stick up on top of the blade, closes to the center, are hitting this circular metal piece mounted underneath the Mandrels on the deck.

Here's a picture from the IPL, I circled in red what the blades are hitting. Its #22 "Stripper Mandrel"

I removed all three of the Stripper Mandrels" and blades spin freely, but I'm wondering what they're for.

Are they used to stiffen the deck? Could I flip them over and mount them on top and achieve the same result? If they'll fit that way. I havent put the deck back on yet.

Anybody else have this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ken,

I don't have an actual picture but, I can post one tonight though. Here's an enlarged picture from the IPL.

It mounts between the mandrel and the deck.

Any idea what it does, or how bad it would be if I eliminated them?

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,553 Posts
I am not familiar with your deck, but it looks to be a re-enforcing ring..

Wait for other replies...

Thanks Ken,

I don't have an actual picture but, I can post one tonight though. Here's an enlarged picture from the IPL.

It mounts between the mandrel and the deck.

Any idea what it does, or how bad it would be if I eliminated them?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I would not take them off. They guard the lower seal and direct air flow for cooling. Grind a little off the blades instead, making sure to balance them or return them to the dealer. There was a recall on them for that very reason. The new ones have one less turned up tab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I might try bending the last tab down. I order those blades off the 'net, and its seems like it would be a real PIA to return them.

·
haffast
2,450 Posts
cburns, I have a 2448 with gators. From the looks of the deck breakdown it's the same deck. Mine never hit. I would do like suggested and try to grind some off. Don't leave that piece off, it reinforces the deck around the spindle and if your ever going to bend one that's where it happens. "ask me how I know".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts