My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed over from my snowthrower on my X485 AWS to my mowing deck Sunday and it took me more than 30 minutes to get the drive shaft coupler to lock onto the rear PTO drive. This happened once or twice before and it really is ******* me off. I never had this problem with the mower drive shaft on my old 425 and am curious if others have had similar problems. The coupler on my snowthrower drive shaft locks into place with no problems to the front PTO drive shaft but that not the case with the mower shaft. It finally locked into place after rotating the drive shaft to where the U-joint hinge closest to the end was aligned in the vertical versus horizontal position. The coupling is lubed and there is no foreign material blocking it or the star PTO drive.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
On both my 425 and X585SE I sometimes have problems lining up the splines just right. Sometimes it slips right on the first time and other times its a PITA to get on. If you find an easy way to get them on please let me know. On the X series the worst thing I can think of is trying to grease the drive shaft that goes from the engine to the rear end. Other than these 2 things I am really happy with my Xseries Deere. slkpk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slkpk,
I didn't have any problem getting the coupling to slide onto the rear PTO, it was getting it to lock into place. The trick that I found to align the spines on the coupling with the PTO ones is to pull or push the drive belt on the mower spindles to slightly rotate it in one direction or the other to get alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts