My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman GT6000 18hp twin cyl Kohler Model # 917.255961, and am attempting to replace a broken drive belt (slipped off as these models commonly do - need to adjust brake travel as per other threads). Ordered replacement belt which looks to be the same length as previous one. Set the parking brake (not adjusted yet - fully depressed to last notch). Threaded it through various idlers and pulleys according to manual. Now we come to the hard part:

"Roll belt over engine pulley"

Well the belt loop under manual tension only comes to the center of the engine pulley, with about 2" more needed to clear the rim. Screwdriver or not, I don't see how its possible to "stretch" or lengthen it any more to clear the pulley rim? Is there an slack adjustment in any of the idlers/pulley arrangement to allow this, and then re-tension? Do I need a slightly longer belt?

As always, I am grateful for the terrific advice I receive on this forum. Thank you gentlemen!

Chef Kevin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't know if this will help but last night, I had to replace a drive belt on my DLT 3000 for the 1st time. I set the tractor in neutral and engaged the parking brake. Put the front wheels on car ramps turned backwards. I started with the belt on the transaxle but couldn't get it onto the engine pulley. Despite the directions, I ended up putting the belt on the post between engine drive pully and the deck drive pulley 1st, then I put it over the transaxle pulley and then back to the front of the tractor and over the engine pulley. I had just enough clearance that way, then I fed it through the keepers and over the clutch pulley and it all worked out ok.

This worked for me and with my tractor but yours might be different.
Ron

·
I'll do that next.....
154 Posts
Skeet,
My 91 is almost identical to yours and I've replaced several belts. Only one of two things could be wrong, either the new belt is too short, or you've got it threaded wrong. I don't usually put the belt on the engine pulley last, I put it on one of the pulleys underneath last. Do you have the horizontal crankshaft Kohler? That's what I have, and I put the belt on the two side-by-side pulleys directly under the engine pulley last. this seems to make it easier.

HTH,
Dave

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,567 Posts
It's easiest to always put the belt on the LARGEST pulley LAST,if possible,even though you'd think just the opposite wouyld be true!..this applies to cars and truck belts too!..

You may need to hold the clutch/brake pedal down all the way with a rope or strap,that'll give you a lot more slack,if you had not done that already...

On some machines I've had to unbolt the idler pulley ,I found it easier to push the belt and pulley back into the idler bracket and slide the bolt in much easier than trying to force the belt on the pulley with it still bolted in place..which usually results in damaging it..I avoid prying one on,if at all possible..usually you can "roll" it on the larger pulley last if you can get a bit of it started on it,by turning the engine or tranny over by hand ir with a wrench on the nut or bolt on the pulley..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Craftsman GT6000 18hp twin cyl Kohler Model # 917.255961, and am attempting to replace a broken drive belt (slipped off as these models commonly do - need to adjust brake travel as per other threads). Ordered replacement belt which looks to be the same length as previous one. Set the parking brake (not adjusted yet - fully depressed to last notch). Threaded it through various idlers and pulleys according to manual. Now we come to the hard part:

"Roll belt over engine pulley"

Well the belt loop under manual tension only comes to the center of the engine pulley, with about 2" more needed to clear the rim. Screwdriver or not, I don't see how its possible to "stretch" or lengthen it any more to clear the pulley rim? Is there an slack adjustment in any of the idlers/pulley arrangement to allow this, and then re-tension? Do I need a slightly longer belt?

As always, I am grateful for the terrific advice I receive on this forum. Thank you gentlemen!

Chef Kevin
If it's the 3 speed (dual range) model, the belt is a 1/2" X 99". I just put a kevlar belt from AG Supply on mine. With the mowing deck off, trick is to lock the clutch/brake down then just follow the pulleys. I started with the largest (transaxle), came thru the "clutch" idler pair, then the two final pulleys before the final bend up to the engine. Went on real easy. Just be sure that the belt is UNDER the tang on the top of the topmost idler pulley - hard to see, easy to feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts