My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pro-16 tractor and when I mow the grass with a 40 Kidney mower the PTO slows down or stops completely. If I stop the tractor the PTO sometimes comes back up to speed, but not always. I removed the mower and put on a cultivator to eliminate the tractor or the mower as the problem. The cultivator also seemed to slow under little pressure. Need some help...Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger,

Will I only be dealing with the Dog Plate. Tighten the bolts to correct foot pounds per square inch. I don't see anything called a "slip clutch" What am I missing?

·
Gravely1964
3,898 Posts
You have to remove the quick hitch from the tractor. On the back there is a slip clutch for attachments only.

Like this on these decks on the back

P1020703.JPG

Theres a spring clearance setting of .010 or something. Or my method for the older ones is go a 1/2 turn tighter at a time and repeat until satisfactory. Kinda PITA with the new style quick hitch though takeing it off each time.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
First of all, this is a PRO so sort of a PITA to reinstall the quick hitch, as the dog floats btw. the shaft and the brake.

Being that it's a pro, what's on the back of the quick hitch is a PTO brake. The clutch pins on the output shaft with a snap ring. That's what you'll need to check.

I find it's easiest to re-install the quick hitch and dog setup with the PTO engaged. You can slip all the pieces together fairly easily this way when you're done.

Before you open up the internals, I suggest checking the hi/low planetary adjustment as sometimes a worn or out of adjustment clutch can cause the same symptoms you describe -- but usually if it's a planetary issue it will affect your ground speed as well.

·
Gravely1964
3,898 Posts

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Roger,

Will I only be dealing with the Dog Plate. Tighten the bolts to correct foot pounds per square inch. I don't see anything called a "slip clutch" What am I missing?
Page 4-14, section 4.8 like Steven said.

You're lucky, yours is slipping. Most times they lockup. Few people EVER check them for proper function on the Pro tractors. Depending on the attachment being used, it can be dangerous to the tractor or to the operator. Search for "Helix maneuver".

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
. Yup!

Page 4-14, section 4.8 like Steven said.

You're lucky, yours is slipping. Most times they lockup. Few people EVER check them for proper function on the Pro tractors. Depending on the attachment being used, it can be dangerous to the tractor or to the operator. Search for "Helix maneuver".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts