My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old MTD
13A747 GF062 Ser# 1A167C20071

This doggond thing is a mankiller to untangle those belts. It happens too often. Something is wrong and I cannot see what it is.

I have to take the whole works down, from the engine pulley back to that big spring that holds tension on the primary drive belt.
What causes the main belt to jump out of its shiv and get up into the same shiv as the Trans-axle drive belt?

If photos would help, I'll Shoot them today. I'm about to shoot this thing with something!:Disgus:

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See in the bottom two photos the primary belt has jumped up on top of the drive belt.
That can only happen if the whole speed control assembly moves forward enough to put slack in the main drive belt, AND the main drive belt has some reason to move upwards, AND the slider pulley (speed control) is up high enough to let the Primary belt get up above those two short Belt guides.

It seems like the whole speed control set up is bouncing and jerking wildly. The primary belt has some worn spots, but not real deep gouges.
Does any of this help?

Is there a write-up on the Tests and Adjustments for this Tractor? Hacking at it like I am, I'm probably missing something important.
There's only about 20 Moving parts in this assembly. Each part has to have a lot of Discipline and stay in its prescribed moving range.

· Registered
222 Posts
Not trying to reach for low lying fruit here but those belts do look a little worn. If they are a little older perhaps they have stretched giving a little more more wiggle room than designed for.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main drive belt is fairly new. About six months or so, with hardly any hours on it. But it does have some worn spots from the many many times this belt has jumped. The back belt is new at the same time.

That clearance between those two lower guide pegs and the shiv's is pretty wide. I can almost, but not quite get the belt to squeeze through the gap.

I'll admit I thought of bending the Guide pegs in a bit, but I think that might make things worse. If the guide pegs were an inch longer this wouldn't be happening.

This problem's been on this mower since I got the mower. In fact, the reason I scrapped the Deck was because I was frequently having to reload this Doggone belt and the Deck was in the way. The Deck belts came off too as I recall. (However, My Wife bought me a new one after seeing me kill myself with this old one)
I suffered with this mower from the week after I bought it. But I'd never owned a mower before in my whole life, and thought this was they way they are.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Picture 1 left, is the unit pivoting freely. I see washers that mine dosen't have.

Do you have 1st gear, should be about 1/2 mile an hour.

Looks like you had the variable speed pulley off, was the bearings good. It should spin freely.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm good observance there Walt. I never noticed them before either.

That whole thing is very free. Drop Free we used to call it.
I don't remember dealing with those washers. I'll take it apart and see what's what tonight.

I just came in from the barn. I was fitting the hoist up to a different Rafter since I already have my 16 Hp Murray in the good work space.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I'm an exper now. I had that stuff off and back on three times this evening. The Bugs swirling around my drop lights are a terrible distraction.

The big suspect washer didnt belong there. Someone had put it there to keep that Variable speed assembly from banging on the bottom of the Floor pan.
The Part that was banging was the long guid stud. I took it back out and ground 1/8" off the end of the stud and it all went back up with no problem.

I finally learned to put that big spring on first. Everything else can be put into place with a lot less effort than that big spring will need.

Dave and Rusty both spotted the bad wear condition in that primary belt. You guys were correct. It's a mess. But while the belt is loose, money is tight.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walt, I went to the site. Most of the manuals were not available and the two I downloaded did not have any T&A's. Just a parts break out.
Which Manual would you suggest for that Speed control adjustment.

PS: when I got it all back together, and thought it was right, I just bounced the clutch lever with my hand a couple times and the primary belt jumped right up on top the secondary.
I'm sure glad I don't try to make a living doing this!

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeez, you must think I'm a dolt! I had that one, but didnt see the T&A's.
It's gonna be a couple days now, as we are finishing the Garden and some other mechanical problems. But I'll get back when it's done. Even if I have to PM you.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Walter G, your adjustment sequence exposed a heckuva problem. The Lock adjustment was out about two turns. It wouldnt lock at all.
The third test, the Speed shift lever was about 9 turns too loose.
I put a new belt on and followed that sequence, and it works just great.
Thanks a lot for that help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.