My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my brother-inlaw may not be here, but he gave me his pride and joy it's been hiding for 22 plus year's, cant remember when it was restore but it is a 1984 Amc eagle 4x4 and cherry.put battery in some good gas and voom voom still have to check some things before I put it back on the road. here's a few pic James

Attachments

·
MTF Middle-age Poster
179 Posts
I remember working on some of those years ago...
They were good solid cars... I never understood why they weren't more popular.

BTW... Here's a picture of MY pride & joy...

Attachments

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Those were 4wd weren't they? Good looking car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i have had 3 Eagles, a 80 4 dr. a 84 wagon, and a 86 4 dr. All auto trannys, 258 straight six. These had the Crysler 904 (i think) transmission, ford starters, chevy alternators, chevy PS pump, Crysler BBd 2 barrel carbs.
The only weak link is the transfer case, it has a center clutch pack that is susposed to 'slip' between the front and rear axles, and it does... it has silicone fluid in it , least wehn new. It usually leaks out and then, well you can put one end of car on ice, the other on dry ground, and it wont move, dry end sits still, end on ice will spin. A lot of guys have put in transfer cases from Jeeps, i think its a 232 model or similar, all gear drive like a older pickup. makes a world of difference.. My 86 was lifted somewhat with longer springs in the front, built up rear leafs, larger tires, total about 4 inches overall.
These sedans wasnt "that small" and they were very heavy. Honestly with good tires, and a working transfer case, they would go where most normal pickups wouldnt. Meaning slick snow, not offroad thru rough stuff. Altough mine did quite a lot.
I have seen guys replace the engine with a 360 V8 manual tranny and transfer, add lockers, and make a heck of a 4x4.. Worst thing about them was the limited 'car' suspension travel.
I once pulled a 86 Ford F 150 4x4 , up my mountain road about 4 miles with no problem, people looked at us like we were nuts, a car pulling a truck lol

I sold it to my brother who sold it off. I wish i had kept it..

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
I remember working on some of those years ago...
They were good solid cars... I never understood why they weren't more popular.

BTW... Here's a picture of MY pride & joy...
:thThumbsU looks like the pride and joy that I carry in my wallet.
They were nice cars James66, a little bit ahead of there time.

·
close enuff works for me
3,120 Posts
AMC was so far ahead of everybody else ...2 decades... they had an all wheel drive car,before they were popular. If that car had come out more recently it probably would have sold very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts