My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the wife is going to win. :banghead3 :crybaby: The new Black Frame 222 is going up for sale. What would you guys consider a decent listing price for a good shape Black Frame 222.
Some minor cosmetic issues (scratches, one missing headlight, etc). Also comes with a deck that looks to be an original white that was sprayed Power Red. The deck is missing the center spindle assembly and shrouds but would be nice with a little work.
I have changed all the fluids and it runs like a champ. It will have the exhaust leak repaired before she leaves too.

Attachments

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
For what it is worth...I have one of these. I Love the black frames. You asked about pricing...I gave $330 for mine with a plow, chains and no deck and it runs perfectly. Not trying to be 'hurtful' but I'd imagine if you fix the valve you'd probably pull in the same general $$$ vicinity for this.

You could dress it up for the sale...take the front tires off, blast em or clean up the wheels real nice and spray the front ones white...if you could find a white seat that would also enhance the selling price. and the cover over the deck belts (I forgot what that part is called) while you've got the white paint out, if you can pull out a quick paint job, if you get the deck white ...it will also add to the selling price. The black frames dress up so beautifully...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No hurt feelings here Adrenalin. I am just looking to get enough to make the wife happy. Once she is happy I can grab another one without too much hassle :thThumbsU
I have it up on Craigs right now at a high price just to see if I draw any interest. Maybe this weekend I will give her a proper scrubbing. With the first wash the orange on the front rims started coming right off. Maybe some elbow grease and a few rattle cans will be a worthy investment.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wives are likie busses. Miss one and the next one will come along soon enough. Don't know how a man can give up a good, strong running tarctor. I'd pray on it some myself.:praying: Maybe even have a drink or two while I gave it some thought.::drunkie:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wives are likie busses. Miss one and the next one will come along soon enough. Don't know how a man can give up a good, strong running tarctor. I'd pray on it some myself.:praying: Maybe even have a drink or two while I gave it some thought.::drunkie:
LOL, I kind of like this one. Also I already have a '72 222 with plow, tiller, snowcaster, deck, pto, sleeve hitch. That one was her Grandfathers and I want to spend some time restoring it. So right now I need a "modern" work horse while the '72 gets pretty. There is a '90 224 for sale a few towns away that would service my needs better than the Black Frame. I would rather see the black frame go to a collector than be my work horse.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Personally, in your shoes, that would be my worker. But, you asked about price, and imo, prices are kinda down right now on tractors. If the deck worked would be a much bigger selling point, most people want to buy a tractor, and go cut grass.

Are you keeping those nice chains?

Around here, the junk big box tractors are going for 500 though, some are going for 300. If it were me, I wouldn't let it go for less than 500, if you have the time to wait.

I just paid 300 for my 222 that didn't run, but had the bagger parts and pto.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My original thought was for the Black Frame to be the worker. However if someone is looking for one for collection purposes it would probably serve them better than me.
Also I would like my worker to be as new as I can afford so it will have as many bells/whistles/features as possible for ease of use and comfort.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why do wives give a rats you know what about tractors? I have 4 and my wife could care less. Shes just glad that i am happy tinkering with my machines. Why get rid of this one to get another one? If shes mad at this one, she'll be mad at the next one. Tell her to bad and keep it!!!! If not 250 bucks, fix the deck 500.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'd decide if it's that collectible, I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. Besides, a tractor that gets used can still be restored, most are.

I wouldn't sell this one to buy another worker. I'd take that machine over any newer big box machine with "bells and whistles" Look on CL and see how many 5 to 10 year old tractors like you're describing are now for parts with bad engines, trans, or something else wrong.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Why do wives give a rats you know what about tractors? I have 4 and my wife could care less. Shes just glad that i am happy tinkering with my machines. Why get rid of this one to get another one? If shes mad at this one, she'll be mad at the next one. Tell her to bad and keep it!!!! If not 250 bucks, fix the deck 500.
It all depends on how you break them in. Marriage is a two way street. Full of give and take. Too much giving in the beginning and you will be giving in all the time. Don't have to be an ogre, but even Custer took a stand. Of course it didn't do him much good.

I'd just say I like this tractor and I am keeping it. When she objected, I tell her I am done talking about and go out to the garage and start the engine and ride around a bit. I'd do that every time the subject came up. end of discussion.

Of course I am lucky that my wife knows me and knows that she can't tell me I can't have something. I also give her a lot of space for the things she wants.

I have friends whose wives tell them what they can and can't do and I believe it is a power trip for them. Life is too short for that kind of attitude. Take a stand once or twice and you will never have to do it again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:trink39:
LOL. This has turned into a marriage advice post. Just to give you all the back story so I dont look spineless and she doesnt look like a @$*&.

She couldnt care less about how many tractors I have. Honestly I could have 30 and she wouldnt care. It is the huge amounts of $$$$$$ I will always sink into a new hobby that bothers her. She is right too. Just in the past 3 weeks since starting I have acquired a '72 222, '83 222, 1 complete deck one partial, rear tiller, snow caster, plow, and cart. I have also dropped a decent chunk of change on oils parts and tools for all of the above. Without her I would spend every dime I had instead of paying for food, mortgage, etc. We have a great ying yang thing going. Im smart at making money and she is smart with spending.

The other issue is that if she doesnt keep me in check some I will happily drop everything with my contracting company and play with the tractors all day. It is kind of hard to buy new toys if I am not selling and running jobs, lol.

And secondly who said anything about the worker being some plastic heap of junk. I might be new to thi hobby but I take serious offense to that. By newer I mean I might like an amp meter and a holding valve. There is a 1990 224 the next town over that I am drooling over. That would be a perfect worker for me.

Then once I have the worker and the restore slots filled I can start hunting for some 400 and 600 series:thThumbsU

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
Holding valve schmolding valve...the Black frames dress up much more beautifully than just about any other tractor. So you ditch this beaut, only when it is all said and done to want another one...plus this one will work for ya all day long...tell your wife this one can be hers...and you'll deeply regret it once it is done...LOL

GL

Restoring tractors is a blast, but you CANNOT LOSE focus of where you earn your $$$. If you have that problem stay away from beer...:drunkie:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What I would do... if that 90 224 runs good and is reasonably priced go get it before its gone then give that one to the wife, she'll fall in love with it and it will give you room to go get your 400 and 600 series. :goodl:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well guys, I know about the hobby thing he is talking about, as do a lot of you I am sure. I have had a lot of them in my life.

But the thing is that most of the guys who are involved in hobbies are stay at home guys when they aren't working so I think that's a big plus.

Just go get the other tractor, keep this one and when the 444 or 446 turns up, well you shouldn't have left those two tractors alone all that time it the dark garage. We all know how kids like to experiment. Should have had that facts of life talk with them a little sooner.

Or you can just proclaim that a miracle has been given to you from heaven because you are such a wonderful family man.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I know about the hobby thing he is talking about, as do a lot of you I am sure. I have had a lot of them in my life.

But the thing is that most of the guys who are involved in hobbies are stay at home guys when they aren't working so I think that's a big plus.

Just go get the other tractor, keep this one and when the 444 or 446 turns up, well you shouldn't have left those two tractors alone all that time it the dark garage. We all know how kids like to experiment. Should have had that facts of life talk with them a little sooner.

Or you can just proclaim that a miracle has been given to you from heaven because you are such a wonderful family man.
I think starting with two and convincing her on the procreation of a 400 or 600 might work. It would be hard to sell her on immaculate conception if I only have one down there.

Now you guys have me thinking I might be over selling myself on the benefits of the newer tractor. I have another thread right now and am working on a timeline of the changes for these tractors. As aside from hours/wear on the machine what advantages would a 1990 have over the 1983 or even the 1972 for that matter?

Another reason for me rethinking this is I spoke with the seller of the 1990 last night. He wants $1200 for the 1990 224 with a deck and snowcaster. I think this is a "fair" price but a little out of my comfort zone. Since I already have 1.75 decks and a snowcaster I would probably end up selling these. Unless maybe someone here in CT or the New England area is looking for the attachments and wants to go in on the deal with me?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
See now that sounds like a plan. The case tractors can take a lot of punishment and will last forever. Presently I just tore down a Kohler 10hp engine from a 220 that was blowing smoke and losing power. I have no idea how many hours are on the machine but the engine bore was clean as a whistle as was the crank. The rings were worn though. I have it in the shop now for a re-bore. A new piston and rings and valve seating and it will run another 30 years. Try that on a $1500 box store machine.

Keep that 222. They are a lot simpler to keep running than these new ones and will do more work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep that 222. They are a lot simpler to keep running than these new ones and will do more work.
I am not looking at a "new" machine. I am comparing an '83 222 to a '90 224. Im sure they are both up to the job. Just curious if there are any major design or feature benefits to the newer '90 224?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
How did you determine that the 224 is a 1990 ? I thought 1988 was the last year of production for the 200 series ....

:thanku:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have not owned a 222 or a 224 but it looks to me as the only difference is the 224 has a 14HP engine as does the 444. The 222 has a 12HP engine. The 220, 222,224 and the 444 all use the same frame. The 444 uses a different, larger front axle, which by the way it is extended, allows for the larger rear wheels. Basically they are all the same tractor and most implements are interchangeable.

Go get the 224. You will be on your way to having a complete set. It's going to happen sooner or later anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts