My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
John Deere 445
295 Posts
Meaning you actually found one? I heard they were very rare, as in "unobtanium." Which probably makes their value, pound per pound, comparable to gold bullion.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Expect to pay $400 and up. I think they are over 600 from the dealer and may not even be available any longer. I've seen a couple sell for $500. But, sold mine for less. Just depends on how attached the seller is to it and how badly you want it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have owned a 425 since May and I cruise CL and Ebay pretty fanatically and I have only ever seen one on Ebay and the bidding on it was in the $500 range IIRC. During that time I have seen at least three rear PTO's for JD 400's, which is supposed to be harder to find so....I guess if you find one, jump on it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's the one I am tracking on Ebay. I don't think I will get it but I just want to see what they go for.

For durability, I would say yes. I have a rear PTO for a 400 that is at least 30 years old. It leaks a little but it works great. I notice this one has some electrical connections to it, so I would say if the harness is in good shape and the gears do not appear to be worn excessively you should be fine.

·
Deere Guru
508 Posts
Just be very careful when installing it. I ran into problems with the PTO hydraulic circuit leaking due to the PTO seals on the rear cover becoming deformed. Took 3 trys to get it right and maintain the PTO pressure above 220psi. The rear PTO cover and the blank cover differ on how they seat the oval PTO seal. The rear PTO cover doesn't have tabs on the inside that maintain the shape of the seal. A slight design flaw IMO.

PM me if you end of getting the rear PTO and I'll go through how I solved this . . . ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just be very careful when installing it. I ran into problems with the PTO hydraulic circuit leaking due to the PTO seals on the rear cover becoming deformed. Took 3 trys to get it right and maintain the PTO pressure above 220psi. The rear PTO cover and the blank cover differ on how they seat the oval PTO seal. The rear PTO cover doesn't have tabs on the inside that maintain the shape of the seal. A slight design flaw IMO.

PM me if you end of getting the rear PTO and I'll go through how I solved this . . . ;)
Dunkelstar,
Point on! The hyraulic pressure on my PTO started out strong but would fade to almost nothing once the machine reached operating temperature rendering my PTO worthless in 10-15 minutes. Your suggestion for keeping the oval seal in the correct shape solved the problem. It's great having a strong PTO again! Thanks a bunch
Tim
PS I have taken the rear PTO cover off at least 6 times and replaced all the PTO and brake seals at least once trying to resolve this problem. A replacement rearend was my next step....all for a $2 fix! Hopefully this thread will get archived to save someone else a lot of grief and/or money.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Seems like I read that there are two models for the 425-44-455 units, one for the early years and then a different model for the later years...just something to keep in mind when purchasing.

·
Deere Guru
508 Posts
Seems like I read that there are two models for the 425-44-455 units, one for the early years and then a different model for the later years...just something to keep in mind when purchasing.
You are correct, there were two model year rear PTOs for the 4X5. The PTO hardware is exactly the same, the only difference is the PTO wiring harness that came with it. Early and late model 4x5's differ in the existing pre-wired harness installed at the factory that the PTO harness plugs into and the PTO module under the dash. I used an early rear PTO on my 425 and had to get the correct PTO wire harness and PTO module. Wasn't a problem, just took a bit of research.

Dunkelstar,
Point on! The hyraulic pressure on my PTO started out strong but would fade to almost nothing once the machine reached operating temperature rendering my PTO worthless in 10-15 minutes. Your suggestion for keeping the oval seal in the correct shape solved the problem. It's great having a strong PTO again! Thanks a bunch
Tim
PS I have taken the rear PTO cover off at least 6 times and replaced all the PTO and brake seals at least once trying to resolve this problem. A replacement rearend was my next step....all for a $2 fix! Hopefully this thread will get archived to save someone else a lot of grief and/or money.
No problem Tim. Glad it worked out! I'll cross-post the solution in a more detailed thread tonight, and place a link to it here as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are correct, there were two model year rear PTOs for the 4X5. The PTO hardware is exactly the same, the only difference is the PTO wiring harness that came with it. Early and late model 4x5's differ in the existing pre-wired harness installed at the factory that the PTO harness plugs into and the PTO module under the dash. I used an early rear PTO on my 425 and had to get the correct PTO wire harness and PTO module. Wasn't a problem, just took a bit of research..
Dunkelstar,
Interesting....I too added an early rear PTO to my late model 455 and purchased the wiring harness, PTO module etc. from my dealer. I wonder if the late model rear PTO covers have the tabs /fingers and it is only the early model PTO covers that are missing them. Just a thought.

The cost of upgrading from the early model harness to the the late model harness isn't too bad (I paid about $40). As I recall when I purchased my rear PTO 5 years ago, the cost of the early model wiring harness was over $125....something a person in the market for a rear PTO for an early model machine might want to consider if/before they settle for rear PTO made for a late model machine.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts