My Tractor Forum banner
141 - 160 of 254 Posts

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,753 Posts
We still have several Mobil steak knives. They are very old. They still cut pretty well and my wife prefers them. 🥴

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like that you said
most likely
in your message. Some vehicles do require higher grade fuels for efficiency, accurate timing, not messing with the modern electronics due ignition timing differences, and heat control in today's thin-block engines. You are right though, most of the time now days, you are just throwing your money away.

I do prefer to run 94 octane in my chainsaw (stock except for exhaust port matching) and my jumping jack (rammer tamper, 2-stroke, full stock), but that's another story. Small engines are a little different due to their compression and less controlled timing. The higher octane fuel does produce a very noticeable difference.

Here's the fuel for those who don't really care about cost, but want maximum performance from their decked, squished, trenched, ported, emissions deleted, muffler modded saws: VP Performance Saw Fuel 97 Pre-Mix

Reactions: APinNY

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Just paid $3.39 a gallon to fill the truck and OPE for the next month or so. This is for non-ethanol gasoline. The regular ethanol laced is around $2.86 a gallon. These are lower Alabama prices as Florida doesn't have a non-ethanol fuel station near me. The station I use is only 4 miles from me.

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,753 Posts
AP, CNN is not a trusted source. I've always used High Test in my Jeep. They recommend 91 or higher for optimum performance. It says it in the manual. I do have a Hemi motor.
Required is fine. So is Recommended, if that's what you like. However, if it doesn't ping on regular gas, or you're not drag racing then you don't need the extra octane.
Pros & Cons of Using an Octane Rated Higher Than Your Vehicle Needs - First Quarter Finance
Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline? | FTC Consumer Information
What's the right gas—87, 89 or 93? (roadandtrack.com)

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I've been using regular gas with fuel stabilizer in my tractor for 21 years. The same with the generator. The small equipment like the chain saw, weed edger, and leaf blower I've been using TruFuel.

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Funny, I just bought 10 gallons of gas for the tractor and didn't even check to see what the prices are. I think I paid $3.05 for regular. I actually got 30 cents off a gallon.

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I stop to get gas today and forgot to take a picture of the prices. I paid $4.10 for high test. Regular was $3.10 and mid grade was $3.60. Looks like the prices are steady in my area but if I was to go further out in the county where there is only one station, I notice the prices are higher.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
20210419_164940_compress0.jpg

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Its cheaper in your state Randy because there's less state tax on it. I was talking to my sister and she is a smoker. She said they raised the price of cigarettes by 2 to 3 dollars in every state except Virginia. She said she pays $11.70 a pack for them. I'm thinking my Dad, years ago use to buy them by the carton. My god, that would be $117 plus 6% tax is $124 a carton. I think he bought a carton a week too.

I know the drive thru carwash is now $26. Gas stations are cleaning up.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Its cheaper in your state Randy because there's less state tax on it. I was talking to my sister and she is a smoker. She said they raised the price of cigarettes by 2 to 3 dollars in every state except Virginia. She said she pays $11.70 a pack for them. I'm thinking my Dad, years ago use to buy them by the carton. My god, that would be $117 plus 6% tax is $124 a carton. I think he bought a carton a week too.

I know the drive thru carwash is now $26. Gas stations are cleaning up.
Probably many factors in price with tax plus proximity to refineries etc. When I worked convenience stores as a kid my manager said we didn't make much money on gas--it was a draw item to get you in the store to buy other stuff.

I see hundreds of smokers a year hospitalized with COPD related illnesses. I bet a huge part of the cig taxes go to Medicae dollars to pay for healthcare associated costs of smoking.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
around my home reg. 87 10% ethanol is running $2.75 to 2.80, ethanol free 91, 40 miles away in Wurtsboro ny it was $3.60 yesterday
to me the drive is worth it with truefuel being $19.98 a gallon at lowes, home depot and tractor supply . so it's premixed with stabilizer how much does a big bottle cost and how many gallons can it make
$36.00 for 10 gallons ver $200.00 for 10 each month for the yard tools

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use TruFuel in my leaf blower and weed eater. Its so convenient instead of buying the mix and making sure its properly mixed.
The downside is that it's expensive. I recommend using VP fuel. Here in Washington's Puget Sound, VP fuel is cheaper than TruFuel, is an actual gallon, and had a higher octane rating. I buy used to buy it at Tractor Supply. Now I pay $5-10 a gallon to buy it at dealer pricing, (depending on which mixes I am buying) I just have to buy $500 at a time...

TruFuel isn't actually a full gallon, make sure you know how much is in the container if you are adding oil for a stronger mix.

141 - 160 of 254 Posts