My Tractor Forum banner
221 - 240 of 254 Posts
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Half of the cars in US are SUV's and pickups. When gas was $4 and $5 , it didn't keep people off the road. There was still a lot of traffic. Now that its getting warmer and the states are opening up back to normal more and more people will be going places.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think people make their car buying choices based more on fashion than anything else.
They buy what friends and neighbors will be impressed with instead of what would be a practical vehicle.
My brother was complaining about the cost of driving to work; "So why did you buy that stretch 4 door V8 6 wheel drive pickup?"
"Yeah well, we get snow here and sometime maybe I need to carry building material..."

Over the years, I've driven through Germany a few times. There are roads with no speed limits, and some people drive fast; 150mph and more.
In the 90's it was high end European sedans, but in 2015 I saw most 'fast' drivers were in SUVs, totally unsuitable for those speeds. Sure, they can do it, but the cost is crazy and they're much less safe than a sedan.
Driving 150 (and more) puts huge wear on the engine, and tires wear out before the road ends.

My little 2 liter turbodiesel gets 38mpg in real driving, and will do 100mph without much complaint too.
Sure, the 0-60 time is measured in minutes instead of seconds, but it gets there.

The money I don't spend on car fuel is very useful. Goes into the tractor tank.

I bought a supercharged Mercedes coupe for fun and as a spare car. When I step on it, I can hear money surging out through the exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Appears that the problem with Colonial Pipeline is over and the gas station I use had gas. After they pumped the non-ethanol gas into the truck and the 3 gas cans did I get the sticker shock. 30 gallons for $107.17 or $3.56 a gallon!

5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a Hybrid..I forget what...but he averaged 109 MPG on the tank prior to our last conversation...said he figure sit costs him about 2 dollars a day to charge it...he drives quite a bit...about 35,000 miles a year

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My brother in NH leased a Tesla; he's very happy with it but hasn't been able to travel much with lockdown + all.
He put in a big solar panel array and produces more electricity than he uses, including irrigation and charging the car.

The economics depend on your driving habits.
I drive far too little to make an electric car even remotely viable economically.

·
Super Moderator
8,419 Posts
Always a few cents cheaper in Siloam Springs

20210530_080050_compress77.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,419 Posts
Springdale AR today. Filled my Tacoma with E10 and 2 gas cans with Non-ethanol.

20210615_122054_compress77.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Seems like I'm driving more now being retired.
Much of that is dependent upon what you did while in the working life. You may have been a cubicle drone or other office flunkie that never did anything or went anywhere. Now with all the time to do other things, you take the easiest way to do things you couldn't before and drive more.

Myself, on the other hand, spent a good portion of my working career as a field service tech for various companies. First job out of tech school was a job that was 100% travel all over the USA in a car. Another position was where I was the only service rep west of the Mississippi River and another was the only tech covering 6 western states of over 1,500 machines. 500 mile days were quite normal.
Today, I barely go anywhere. Fill up the '08 F150 4x4 once a month and usually have a quarter tank or more left.

Filled up a couple days ago with the non-ethanol regular grade of gas for $3.36 @ gallon, same as the month before. Of course, a month ago was the pipeline shutdown and had to wait a week before the station had gas.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Yeah, gas is steadily creeping up. Average price around $3/gal now. With inflation upon us and other economic conditions I could see $3.50 gas pretty easily.

Just wait until all the suburban truck junkies and mommy movers in their SUV's experience $100 weekly fill ups. Could get interesting.... 🤔

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
586 Posts
It was a dollar 33 here last week for a liter....That's why i go to the rez and fill up allot cheaper then most places

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
586 Posts
Yeah, gas is steadily creeping up. Average price around $3/gal now. With inflation upon us and other economic conditions I could see $3.50 gas pretty easily.

Just wait until all the suburban truck junkies and mommy movers in their SUV's experience $100 weekly fill ups. Could get interesting.... 🤔
I pay about a 130 to fill my truck once a week ...if I go to the rez I pay 100 to 105 to fill up

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Ohh how people immediately forget the high prices from 2008-2013, back when making your own biodiesel was all the rage and people were paying money for used oil. I recently looked for some of the companies and websites I bookmarked that were selling DIY kits and they've vanished.

In my area it costs about $65-70 to fill up my Silverado with gas, and it averages 15.8mpg, so I hardly drive it. My main vehicle is a Mazda CX-5 2wd with 6-speed manual and averages 30mpg and 23-26mpg when I'm pulling a load in the 5x8 trailer, so gas price fluctuations have less effect on me. It's about $30-35 to fill up the CX-5.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
586 Posts
Ohh how people immediately forget the high prices from 2008-2013, back when making your own biodiesel was all the rage and people were paying money for used oil. I recently looked for some of the companies and websites I bookmarked that were selling DIY kits and they've vanished.

In my area it costs about $65-70 to fill up my Silverado with gas, and it averages 15.8mpg, so I hardly drive it. My main vehicle is a Mazda CX-5 2wd with 6-speed manual and averages 30mpg and 23-26mpg when I'm pulling a load in the 5x8 trailer, so gas price fluctuations have less effect on me. It's about $30-35 to fill up the CX-5.
My hemi gets about 18.5 miles if I keep my boot out of the oil pan...

·
Super Moderator
37,247 Posts
I'm getting about 19 - 19.5 with my Hemi, but like SEJ says got to be careful with the right foot to make it do that. Gas here is $3.25 per gallon right now. I've been filling only once or twice per month since I retired so the gas budget is way down!! :)

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
586 Posts
I'm getting about 19 - 19.5 with my Hemi, but like SEJ says got to be careful with the right foot to make it do that. Gas here is $3.25 per gallon right now. I've been filling only once or twice per month since I retired so the gas budget is way down!! :)
I got the trailer on most of the time 14 foot landscaping trailer thank God for tow haul saves a little fuel and easier on the transmission when fully loaded

221 - 240 of 254 Posts