My Tractor Forum banner
201 - 220 of 254 Posts
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Experts say gas shortage could still be felt for at least a week, even with Colonial Pipeline back online. “It'll be probably one to two weeks in most of these areas until buying gasoline isn't something you have to think about,"

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,736 Posts
Regular gas is still $2.89 here.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Regular gas is still $2.89 here.
Just out of curiosity, are the gas stations you frequent supplied by Colonial Gas Pipeline?
I haven't been out since the last time I tried to get gas a week ago and couldn't. But, then again, usually I drive less than 300 miles in a month. I usually fill the F150 once a month or around 6 weeks.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,736 Posts
I don't think so. The area served by them was listed as New Jersey and south. We are too far north.

·
Registered
352 Posts
$2.75 in Beloit-WI
$3.39 in South Beloit-IL just across the state-line

I can't figure out how the IL stations stay in business in the past 3 years with such a lopsided difference.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
It's because most people convenience shop only. They look at the gas gauge, see it's near empty and look for the closest station. Maybe people within 10-20 miles of the border feel it's fine to drive there, but how far does it become onerous?

Sure, I fill up my F150 once a month or longer at one specific gas station 4 miles from the Florida border, 7 miles from the house in Alabama. I don't buy by price, I buy by product as that station in the middle of no where, is the closest one that has non-ethanol gas (they also have farm diesel). I use it both for the truck and the OPE. If there were a gas station nearer in Florida with non-ethanol gas, I'd go there.

·
Super Moderator
10,492 Posts
WOW! the stations on Highways here are known to be a rip off...neighborhood stations around here are in teh high 2 dollar range for 87 ...very few over 3 bucks

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's because most people convenience shop only. They look at the gas gauge, see it's near empty and look for the closest station. Maybe people within 10-20 miles of the border feel it's fine to drive there, but how far does it become onerous?

Sure, I fill up my F150 once a month or longer at one specific gas station 4 miles from the Florida border, 7 miles from the house in Alabama. I don't buy by price, I buy by product as that station in the middle of no where, is the closest one that has non-ethanol gas (they also have farm diesel). I use it both for the truck and the OPE. If there were a gas station nearer in Florida with non-ethanol gas, I'd go there.
We are talking one or two city blocks as Beloit-WI and South Beloit-IL nearly looks the same. One would think they are in the same city. If it were not for the signs of entering the other state, you would never know.

It's not miles upon miles, it's a mere city block or two. The Speedway 4 blocks to the north is $2.75 and the other Speedway is $3.39.

Wild stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
Premium is no-ethanol

·
Registered
792 Posts
I bought some gas Friday it was 262 they only had regular. Still some stations without this morning. North Alabama gas comes from Colonial pipeline its trucked up from Birmingham Alabama.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
The price of gasoline will stay high permanently to make up for profit loss due to people not using as much during the pandemic. They just used it as the perfect 'excuse' to raise it.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
We are talking one or two city blocks as Beloit-WI and South Beloit-IL nearly looks the same. One would think they are in the same city. If it were not for the signs of entering the other state, you would never know.

It's not miles upon miles, it's a mere city block or two. The Speedway 4 blocks to the north is $2.75 and the other Speedway is $3.39.

Wild stuff.
An odd thing is that I spent a longer part of my disastrous childhood on Beloit Road, although in New Berlin, WI. 65 years ago, Beloit was a separate city and quite small.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here in Portugal, gasoline at the local fuel station costs US $7.82 for a US gallon.
So be happy.
How much is diesel then? Most EU vehicles are diesel. I had a Volvo V6 diesel while over there.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Diesel is cheap, only $6.46 per gallon.
My diesel car goes 60% further on a gallon than my gasoline car, so costs half as much to drive.
The gas guzzler is great fun, but sometimes it doesn't move for months.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts