My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tow behind Disc (Cat 0) that I converted to my 3 pt hitch to raise and lower

one question I have always wondered is that the discs can be angled one way or another....

So which way is right? I am not sure. I can take a picture if you need to see, but from what I have seen they are all roughly the same. You can adjust them so they "V" inwards or "V" outwards...

I haven't used the disc since last year but am about to drag it back out from the barn and put it on....so I have always wondered which way to adjust so it works best

thanks
:thanku:

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
So the dirt hits the cup side.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
One way,dirt is thrown inward--other way,and it throws outward.Hince the reason folks like two sets-in & out--that way dirt is kinda leveled out with one run.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The more "V" that you put into it........the HARDER that it is going to pull......but on the other hand, the more aggressive it will cut.

Also the 'point' of the V is going to be where the dirt is going to be thrown.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more "V" that you put into it........the HARDER that it is going to pull......but on the other hand, the more aggressive it will cut.

Also the 'point' of the V is going to be where the dirt is going to be thrown.
OK I think I get it. I have one set...which is two discs (5-6 individual discs) on each side. Most of you are familiar with a sears disc setup and thats what it is.

It was a pull behind. I converted it to fit on the three point hitch bar that sears uses for cultivators (I have two of these, and need another)

Using the V as an example with the computer and knowing I only have one set which would be the most efficient way to set them. My garden I plow in one direction because of the fencing so I can't turn around like a "field" so I go forward and backward across it:trink40:

So standing behind the tractor would it be best to set them as so the V tip is pointing toward the tractor or the other way?

Hmm, feels a little like "Who's on First..."

I will take a picture of the discs, the setup and how it attaches tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
not very good pictures but gives you an idea...../

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
The way you have should be best if you want to fill in the furrow after plowing to level the field. IMO...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see in the picture provided by Umaxman that my setup is very similar as to how it attaches to the tractor.

EXCEPT I have my discs the other direction, and I noticed yesterday that it seemed to cut better in reverse

So I am going to turn them around today if it doesn't rain and set them as pictured.

I am using two Golfcart Batteries for weight. Now I am so glad the hydraulics are done in the rear....using the manual lever was a PITA with the weight

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you find something to replace those?? I would hate for one to crack open and leak into your garden. two cinder blocks.. a log.. you could borrow my EX to sit on the disks.. anything but batteries..
LOL....Thats what I thought too!

But it was all I had at the moment for testing, and they fit perfectly and oh gawd were they heavy...I think these weighed about 80 lbs each easy.

Two cinder blocks aren't heavy enough. I was thinking about welding together a couple stacks of brake rotors to make weights....or pouring a concrete mold to fit the disc top. It is the same style as in the photos earlier in this post on the gold sears.

I turned them around as he has pictured and strapped the batteries on top. But it was too much weight for the way I had it mounted to the tool bar, so i had to stop after two passes. I will have to reinforce the mount to the sears tool (or cultivator bar) bar. I really am trying to find one more. I have two...one holds my york rake, the other I switch back and forth between my ox blade and the discs...

Now it is raining and too wet, so I will have to wait.

I worked on the hydraulics for the front blade instead (and finished)

I will remount the discs and try again when it dries up around here

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya on use what ya got..

Do you have any pictures of your set up... What you guys do with with gts amazes me.. not sure why.. i know they will work their tails off for a guy..
Plenty of pictures in the links in my signature

The Photo bucket Album is Public

Also the newest set is the hydraulic write up
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=225207

Unlike lots of folks here I just have the one though lol....no collections

I built it because I could not find what I needed for purchase...So I made my own. Its a combination of an old Wheelhorse C-125 and a few Sears suburbans...some Toro parts...and other parts, including automotive power steering pump

I have never done anything like this before (or since)

I use the **** out of her a lot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts