My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter when I was snowblowing, traction was terrible on my 111. I had chains and 2 cinder blocks but that sure wasn't enough. Any cheap ideas or pictures of your weight setup would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
105 Posts
No pictures, but I spent a good part of today filling a spare set of tires/wheels with windshield washer fluid.

Remove the tires - I hate slime. Cleaning that out was messy.
After cleaning, paint the rims.
Put tubes in and remount the tires.
Using a length of vacuum hose, divert the windshield washers on the car to the valve stem on a tire. Pump windshield washer fluid for 30 seconds, release the air pressure and repeat until washer fluid comes out of the tire instead of air. Fill the tire to proper pressure. They'll get mounted on the Murray tomorrow.

The only colors of paint I had on hand were green, yellow and black. Murray gets black wheels.

Those little tires only hold about 5 gallons of fluid each, but that's still another 80 lbs of weight.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You may want to try filling your tires and/or wheel weights. :trink39:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
more weight will get you the traction you need. depending on the size of the cinder blocks of course, you are only adding 85 lbs or so.

I have a 345 with 4 suitcase weights, turfs and chains, with a slightly inclined driveway and no tracton problems at all...

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Last winter when I was snowblowing, traction was terrible on my 111. I had chains and 2 cinder blocks but that sure wasn't enough. Any cheap ideas or pictures of your weight setup would be greatly appreciated!
If you change your own oil, use the 5 qt jugs. Fill the jugs with concrete and you have some 'poor mans' suitcase weights. With concrete alone they'll be about 25 lbs a piece.
I added some wheel weights when I mixed up the concrete and got mine up to 40lbs.
I didn't have to melt the lead and a bag of concrete around here was about $4

·
MTF Member
175 Posts
What are the dimensions of a click and go weight box ?
I like the idea of adding wheel weights to the cement.:thanku:

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
I'd start by filling your tires and see how that does with the chains and your blocks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to replace the tires anyway, but I might keep the back for winter tires and just fill the rim with concrete which would add some weight and come up with a suitcase weight wrack on the back.

:thanku: for all the replies!!!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I need to replace the tires anyway, but I might keep the back for winter tires and just fill the rim with concrete which would add some weight and come up with a suitcase weight wrack on the back.

:thanku: for all the replies!!!
No!!! Bad bad idea:thSick::thSick::thSick::thSick:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I looked up on another website which says your 111 weighs 470 pounds. My 212 weighs 660 pounds and does well with chains and no extra weights. A big snow for us is 6 to 8 inches. I wouldn't think you should need that much extra weight, how much do wheel weights cost? Also I wonder is weight is the issue or weight distribution?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I said fill the rim with weight, I really meant make homemade wheel weights. And to clarify, its weight distribution. the front is where all the weight is and i just need more weight for more traction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
On my old Husky I had just draped a sand bag (the long tube ones from the hardware store) over each side of the rear fender. Worked surprisingly well- I think they are about 60 pounds each? It was a quick way to McGyver it so I could get my plowing done last winter.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I might keep the back for winter tires and just fill the rim with concrete which would add some weight
Now that's really going old school!

YABBA DABBA DOO !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My goodness! never thought of sand bags! Wonderful idea because there is a gap under the seat where one would fit and I could probably toss one one each fender!:trink39:

·
Registered
244 Posts
How well will the fender hold up to that weight?
What if you made a rack to on the back of the mower on the hitch like they have for wheelchairs then had 2 buckets of sand? You can use the sand on ice too. You could fill them with concrete if you just want weight.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm sure the 111 fenders are/were a much heavier gauge steel than my Husky was. If its anywhere near the fenders on my 316 (I could probably put the Husky ON it) you should be fine with two sandbags on it. My concern was killing the hydro pump prematurely- not a real big unit on the ole Husky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts