My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used regular gas in lawnmowers & I know people who use only premium gas . Most pumps don't have a dedicated nozzle for premium gas, you have to choose the grade. So if you are only getting a couple of gallons, how much would be premium taking into account the regular fuel still in the pump line?

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
I've always used regular gas in lawnmowers & I know people who use only premium gas . Most pumps don't have a dedicated nozzle for premium gas, you have to choose the grade. So if you are only getting a couple of gallons, how much would be premium taking into account the regular fuel still in the pump line?
Hard to say but you could always pump a gallon in the car before filling the can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Riding snowmobile and motorcycles I've known guys who would circle the pumps looking for one that pumped premium on the last sale.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ethanol gasoline in outdoor power equipment just makes more problems over the long term. From it going stale quickly to gelling problems in carbs, eating some gaskets and a bunch of other.
I use the ethanol free in both my 2008 F150 4X4 and any outdoor power equipment. Luckily, there is a station just across the state line in the Great State of Alabama that sells it. Not all premium grades don't contain ethanol, it has to specifically state on the pump that it doesn't. In both the US & Canada, one can use the following website to find the ethanol free gasoline.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I've been told that Ethanol may ruin the needle tip in the carb.
Only if the carb was designed before they started adding ethanol to gasoline. Once the gasoline companies started adding ethanol to the fuel the vehicle and equipment manufacturers changed the materials in the fuel systems they designed so that they would be compatible with gasoline with 10% ethanol in it.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Higher octane is not needed in most engines. All that it does is allow higher compressions and hotter temperatures before predetonation (engine knock) occurs. It basically makes it harder to get it to explode so it could, in some cases as Austen points out, cause longer starting times in an older engine that might have lower than optimal compression and/or a weaker than optimal spark.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Higher octane is not needed in most engines. All that it does is allow higher compressions and hotter temperatures before predetonation (engine knock) occurs. It basically makes it harder to get it to explode so it could, in some cases as Austen points out, cause longer starting times in an older engine that might have lower than optimal compression and/or a weaker than optimal spark.
I think most of us are just buying it b/c it's the only option available w/o alcohol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I now use mid-grade ethanol 89 octane in my mowers.

I have before used some straight 87 fuel without any other added additives and the engines seemed to run hotter and noisier in my summer, high heat index weather. So now, I also put in the 5gal cans I use to fill mowers, some cheap Walmart 1/2 bottle fuel additive/stabilizer and a 1/4 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per 5 gallons.

This way the fuel keeps longer without going stale and robbing me of octane rating.

I do shop at a local grocery store that gives discounts on fuel for one local gas station to help ease the pump prices.

Del

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it's time to start using a stabilizer also. Not sure if it's the hot temperatures but gas doesn't seem to keep very long. Years ago things seemed like they would start after sitting around a couple of years

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm lucky that the Mills Fleet Farm near me has two grades of ethanol free gas, 89 and 91 octane. I use the 89 in everything and fill my truck before filling my gas can.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ethanol gasoline in outdoor power equipment just makes more problems over the long term. From it going stale quickly to gelling problems in carbs, eating some gaskets and a bunch of other.
I use the ethanol free in both my 2008 F150 4X4 and any outdoor power equipment. Luckily, there is a station just across the state line in the Great State of Alabama that sells it. Not all premium grades don't contain ethanol, it has to specifically state on the pump that it doesn't. In both the US & Canada, one can use the following website to find the ethanol free gasoline.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Thanks for that site. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I switched to "premium" this past spring to get rid of ethanol. I have a ethanol tester which confirms my choice of gas retailers. I always add "fuel stabilizer" to the empty can before filling. So far, so good. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Howdy Do, tell me about this ethanol tester. Is it just some color change strips, or something electronic and is quick/easy and small enough to tote around with you in the glove box?

We have one local station near me, and I only use 92 ethanol-free in my Triumph motorcycle or when I'm mixing gas/oil for my chain saw/weed eater.

Del

·
Registered
84 Posts
Howdy Do, tell me about this ethanol tester. Is it just some color change strips, or something electronic and is quick/easy and small enough to tote around with you in the glove box?

We have one local station near me, and I only use 92 ethanol-free in my Triumph motorcycle or when I'm mixing gas/oil for my chain saw/weed eater.

Del
This tester is a simple plastic test tube with etched marks to indicate fuel & water level. I bought mine for 10 bucks at our community airport. I guess pilots use them? This is the one I have but there are several out there. I chose this one because it was a short drive away. The yellow parts are pilot specific. Hope this helps? :tango_face_smile:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 75 Posts