My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo. Just purchased my dream tractor, a Kubota L3000DT with super low hours and FEL. Also have a Land Pride 15 series rake with gauged wheels. Live in VT and have medium length gravel drive that I'd like to plow. Can I get by with the FEL and rake or do I need something else. A guy up the street is selling a 6' MF scaper blade for 150 bucks and I didn't know if that woul do the trick or not.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
a front end loader is nice because you can push snow with it like a plow, but move it around like a blower. i think you should be fine

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
The loader will work good, but I also use a 6' blade for pushing it to one side going down and the other way back.
It does work better going backwards with it turned around.
The loader will help you pile it up when it gets deep.
Good luck with you decision.
And congrats on your new tractor.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
And,

:MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
For $150, buy the rear blade. You won't regret it.
The FEL is nice for moving snow. The rake won't do you
any good in the winter trying to move snow.
I use the rear blade and FEL moving snow. I also have
a front mount snowblower that I use, but I probably use
the rear blade and FEL the most.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
On my gravel drive I use the FEL. slkpk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Welcome to MTF fellow Vermont resident! My 2 cents - you want to be ready for the big storm, get the blade.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
:Welcome1:First welcome.. My perfered method is wait untill it's 70 deg.:sidelaugh:sorry1:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I would get the Blade also, that is a good price! You can use it more than just to move snow!:trink40:

·
22,781 Posts
:MTF_wel2: appgap!

I use the FEL to push the snow to my snow dump and pile it, but I drag the back blade to widen the trail and pull a bunch of snow behind me at the same time. Loaded tires help when backing over the pile the blade leaves. It can get pretty big.

I've been using this method for 26 years on a 220' driveway doing full length passes. My snow dump is behind the garage. Works great for up to 8" or so, but if you get more than a foot at a time regularly, a snowblower and back blade is the answer.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats on your new tractor!!!! Sounds like a good price on that blade, they are getting expensive.

We sometimes get so much snow that I have to use the FEL to pile it up in a out-of-the-way spot and that works great. I've never used my blade to remove snow as my FEL has a 6 foot bucket, but you guys have me thinking maybe I'll mount it this winter and try it, also.

Incidently, I pull an old harrow around the yard after I'm done bucketing it out and this really settles what snow is left and smoothes out the rough spots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks team. Bought it. It's a tank and in great shape. I'll pick it up later and post again once I gave a chance to play with it. What are some other things you'd use this bad boy for??

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Thanks team. Bought it. It's a tank and in great shape. I'll pick it up later and post again once I gave a chance to play with it. What are some other things you'd use this bad boy for??

for shooting at...with your CAMERA!! :)

Congrats.

:)

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
my PREFERRED method of dealing with snow? Move south. way south. and maybe west too.
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw a long time ago:

A little old lady was sitting on an airplane, and the guy next to her asked her how she dealt with the cold weather. She said, "Sonny, I've tried them all - oil, coal, wood, solar, electric - you name it. Nothing beats flying your fanny down to Florida!"

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Woohoo. Just purchased my dream tractor, a Kubota L3000DT with super low hours and FEL. Also have a Land Pride 15 series rake with gauged wheels. Live in VT and have medium length gravel drive that I'd like to plow. Can I get by with the FEL and rake or do I need something else. A guy up the street is selling a 6' MF scaper blade for 150 bucks and I didn't know if that woul do the trick or not.
Depending on where you are in VT...you might want to look at a snow blower...;)

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I got a snow blower for my Conquest after I saw the piles the previous owner had to make to plow this driveway. We get a lot of snow up here, so I figure the best way to move it is to move it - way over there:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I am a snow plow kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
My preferred method of snow removal is watching someone else do it through the living room window... but my wife makes me do it myself anyway.

I use a plow blade on the JD X500 for the driveways (yes, plural driveways. My mother-in-law lives next door), and a walk behind blower for the sidewalks that are too narrow for the plow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts