My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Y'all,

So I got an update on my cat, she is still hanging on but not sure for how long. She may be getting worse and the cancer or/and tumor maybe taking over her fast, she still eats drinks and purrs but she started going to the bathroom outside her little box and on the rugs and floors I wanna say 2 days ago. We are thinking she maybe ready to pass on and we are thinking of putting her to sleep soon because of this, unless someone here has any ideas.

She used to go outside in the spring and summer last year and years past but she stayed in the house until a couple days ago, she went outside and normally she stays in our yard and she comes when we call her but a couple days ago I found her in the neighbors yard laying down. Yesterday she went out and I found her across the street which she never goes. I did rescue her both times and brought her back home.

She drinks out of the bathtub upstairs which she has done in the past year or 2, and she used to jump on the tub ledge then hop in but she can't jump on the ledge anymore. She either hooks herself on the shower curtain and climbs in that way or I pick her up and put her in and take her out. She hooks herself on the couch too and goes on it to lay down which she used to jump on the couch.

She still meows but hardly anymore, she goes to meow but you only see her mouth move nothing comes out although she gets a meow out once in a while when she does.

She has however been drinking and eating alot more though.

She might be put down in the next week or 2, which will be VERY VERY VERY sad for me.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also I forgot to mention she has been wanting to go outside ever since she went out the first time a couple days ago, she sits by the back door for a couple minutes then when she realizes nobody wants to let her out she says forget it and goes in the living room.

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's so tough, all the memories and they become like your child. We have a female Russian Blue that's 20, used to be about 14# now seems to be 5#. We're thinking may not be too long she will go.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's so tough, all the memories and they become like your child.
It is definitely tough, she ain't even dead and in the ground yet and I'm already crying over it. She is my best friend I just love this cat, and I just hope and pray she goes the best and most peaceful way in her sleep before we actually have to put her asleep

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I've been there--if you scroll back far enough on the other MTF pet forums you'll see my posts about my last cat passing away after declining several years,bouncing back "from the dead",then the eventual sad ending..
Like you,I mourned my cats passing quite awhile before it finally did...it sucks,and you have my sympathy..

Your cat is likely trying to go outside so it can sneak off to die ,I wouldn't let it out any more,it is too vulnerable and weak to fend for itself...cats tend to do this,as if to "spare" the owner from seeing its final moments...

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Your cat is likely trying to go outside so it can sneak off to die ,I wouldn't let it out any more,it is too vulnerable and weak to fend for itself...cats tend to do this,as if to "spare" the owner from seeing its final moments...
I definitely am not letting her outside anymore, I personally want her to pass away in the house not outside. She did look out the window today but did not beg to go out which is good.

Today she went to the bathroom in the bathroom, so my stepdad came up with an idea of making a litter box out of a baking pan and litter and putting it in there. If that don't work we may think of putting a pee pad or 2 in there

She has been eating and drinking a lot today though and she also jumped out of the bathtub upstairs all by herself, so that got us thinkin' she maybe ain't ready yet but as you said T-H she maybe doing this until the end but who knows.

We shall see, I will keep y'all updated....

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey Y'all,

So I am writing this with tears in my eyes so bare with me here. Sadly the family and I put the cat to sleep today. Last night she did not want to eat and when I got up this morning I put fresh food in her bowl and I put her in front of it twice and she did not want it either. She normally goes in the bathtub and drinks water from a bowl, see pictures below and I put her in today but she again did not want it. She was also so weak she would walk like she was drunk and stumble and sometimes would fall over then get back up. She also had goopy crap from her eyes that we thought it was an infection. So after these things happened we decided it was time. We brought her to the vet for 4:30 today and she weighed 6 pounds last time and this time she was 4 pounds. We saw the doctor to see what she thought and she said the reason she was stumbling is because she didn't have enough red blood cells. Then it was time, before they came in to put her down I was holding her and she put her head on my leg. I will never forget that. When they went to put her down she didn't flinch or feel a thing so that made me feel good.

All and all the family and I are definitely sad, and it will take quite a long time to grief BUT the vet said by putting her out of her misery it is the best gift.

Rest In Peace my love, I will miss you forever. I love you to the moon and back but your ashes will be in my bedroom in the urne.....
20210330_095116.jpg
20210322_141259.jpg
20210318_105352.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,822 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, Eric. Having to do something like this is never easy. Unfortunately, at some point there is no way around it. Take comfort in the fact that instead of being selfish at her expense, you made the sacrifice in order that she would be at peace, and in a better place.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm so sorry also. We know what it's like and gone through this many times. We have a pet cemetary here.
We adopted Topper from local shelter a few months ago after putting our Siamese to sleep. It's like losing part of your heart, but Topper is helping ease the pain and he gets a good home.
20210306_121051.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
You have my condolences. I'm 64 and sadly I have had to say good bye to too many wonderful dogs and cats that made my life better. My current cat Sonny was a rescued from a shelter by my Dad and I inherited him when Dad had to go into a nursing home. Our animals are all special to us.

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
Been following your situation and you have our sympathy as well. It's so hard, but the right decision. Remember all the good times and you'll know when the time is right to welcome a new member into your family.

Brad and Linda

·
Super Moderator
9,757 Posts
It s a heartbreaking decision,sorry that you had to make it....almost makes you think you don't ever want to have another one....but there are a lot of other pets, waiting in shelters for a good home like you can provide...don't let them down

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
My condolences on your loss...it sucks when a beloved pet you've had a long time that's become a part of the family finally has to pass...I have been thru it too many times myself..
I still miss and grieve the loss of my Puff-Puff I had almost 20 years..its been 16 months but doesn't feel that long ago..

I have thought about getting another cat,especially since I've had mice in the house lately--but I am not able to afford proper care for a pet,vet bills are just too expensive,and I am not willing to face losing another one again..
I can't say I miss the responsibility of having to feed and worry about a pet's health ,and it is somewhat of a relief to be able to leave home for a few days or more with no worries about who'll feed it,empty the litter box,etc..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts